Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 11:48   #1

Question Chartering a yacht that's still on order

Hello all,

I'm planning a bareboat charter trip in Croatia in the summer with some friends and of all the boats I've pored over, a couple that best fit our preferences are ones that are clearly not in the water yet, with 2020 build dates and only manufacturer catalogue images to go by.

The charterers for these boats have fleets with plenty of boats already in the water - just with configurations that aren't what we're looking for - so I have no reason to doubt that the 2020 boats being advertised are bona fide orders they have placed and intend to charter as opposed to some vaporware scam. That said, it makes me nervous putting down a deposit on some brochure cuttings and a spec sheet. Do I have anything to worry about?

I'm mainly thinking of possible delays from the shipbuilders or teething issues in the boat's first year, but as much as I have chartered boats with a seasoned history (okay, sometimes too much history) I've never dealt with a boat fresh out of the builders before, chartered or otherwise. Does anyone who has done have any advice I should know?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 11:52   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Chartering a yacht that's still on order

Not just build delays but delays on the water when untested systems fail while working the bugs out. You'll be the ones finding out that the terminals to the autopilot or GPS weren't tightened properly for example. That can eat into your vacation time, not worth it IMO
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 20:50   #3

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Not just build delays but delays on the water when untested systems fail while working the bugs out. You'll be the ones finding out that the terminals to the autopilot or GPS weren't tightened properly for example. That can eat into your vacation time, not worth it IMO
But quite a difference if you’re ”week 1” or ”week 9” of the boat, then ...
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 01:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
But quite a difference if you’re ”week 1” or ”week 9” of the boat, then ...
Interesting point... In both cases I'm looking at, the boats are being advertised for charter from the start of their season in March, while we will be chartering in late August. So it's fair to expect these boats will be going in the water over the winter, and while they might not necessarily get full occupancy in the early season (especially if charterers are wary of "week 1" boats!) they ought to have had a fair bit of use by the time we'd get on board. I guess maybe not at the sweet spot before things start to break because they're old instead of breaking because they're new - but how many of the new build pitfalls only show up after a few months of use?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 02:17   #5

I would look at the Charter Companies reputation. If the reputation of the company is good. I wouldn't be concerned.
First. When the boat arrives they give it a full check out looking for typical new build bugs. Of which they probably have significant experience regularly getting new build boats.
So while bugs will be possible I would expect them to be minor if any.

You will be sailing a nice new boat. sounds great to me.

Will the boat be ready? certainly a possibility of delays beyond charter company control. Again company reputation.
A good company will take care of the problem and try to make sure you are happy. How may vary.

I wouldn't be concerned. Book the boat you like and enjoy the trip.
If in the unlikely event, its not ready you might get an upgrade.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 03:07   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

DO NOT. There are to many F... ups possible. May be if you charter late in the season it is OK. But do not charter early in the season.

I participated in a regatta last year and there were 3 boats available for charter that were on order. I signed up for 1 of those.
I got another boat nearly new but not new, never found out what happened to the promised boat.

My friend had chartered another one of the 3 new boats. It was in the harbour but could not be chartered, the boat papers were still not delivered by the Croatian customs, so no sailing.
Your choice.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, yacht