Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 09:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 35S5
Chesapeake Bay, Knapps Narrows

Be advised that the Corps of Engineers has cancelled dredging of Knapps Narrows. The depth at the west side is only two feet.. The east side isn't much better.
Parker9645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:06   #2

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Knapps Narrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker9645 View Post
Be advised that the Corps of Engineers has cancelled dredging of Knapps Narrows. The depth at the west side is only two feet.. The east side isn't much better.

This is shocking. Think of the economic hit this tourist/maritime community will suffer in 2016. A constructive political solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:42   #3

The Narrows is 4 years overdue for dredging. According to the Corps, the dredge spoils site is not ready to accept the spoils form the Narrows ( they had four years to get ready). We tried to get the spoils dumped on Poplar Island but evidently the Island is just for Baltimore Harbor spoils.
Several boats will be leaving the local marinas for the season, and must leave on a high tide through the east side. The west side is almost totally impassable, even for power boats.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:50   #4

Boat: 2002 Hunter 306

Parker,

Where did you find out about the reason for the cancellation? I've been trying to figure that out myself. It's weird that the placement site wouldn't be ready, too, because the site is on land, so it's not like they need to construct the holding cells in the water like with Poplar Island.

Anyway, in the meantime I'll just follow the new markers since they officially changed R4 to G3 last year. Much more clearance (relatively speaking) on that side of the channel. Plus I only draw 3'10". (And if i do run aground I'll just get off the boat and pull her down the channel by her anchor line. :-)
SVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:34   #5
Eternal Member

I'm very surprised to hear of the immense amount of shoaling. I visited Knapps Narrows last spring, entering from the West side. While I had to carefully pick my way in, following a very narrow channel, I made it OK, and my boat draws 6.5 feet!

I was able to leave the next day without touching bottom, as I had a better appreciation of the existing channel.

Is it really possible that there has been 4.5 feet of shoaling in just a year???

Bill
s/v Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53   #6

Check the latest charts and you will see a 2 foot depth indicated for the entrance to the Narrows. The dredge site has not been completed due to the Corps selection of a low bidder that is trying to do the construction with a backhoe instead of dozers. The bid may go out in November and dredging started in 2017 but who knows if the money will be available. Don't understand how anyone with over a 6' draft could enter the west side of the Narrows. Waterman have run aground with a 2' draft. Rerouting the channel only worked for a while. Even the workboats for Poplar Island have been aground.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:11   #7

Boat: 2002 Hunter 306

Ah, that sucks. I love Tilghman Island and make it a point to sail over from Herrington Harbour as often as possible - whether just for lunch or to spend the night. Hopefully I can still squeeze through with 3'10" at mid to high tide.

I hope the businesses there are raising hell to make the budget available and get the Narrows dredged ASAP - not just for arriving boaters but for their own workboats!

Here's to hoping...
SVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:16   #8
Eternal Member

You're absolutely right, the latest chart does show 2' in March 2015. See below.

Good thing I checked my logbook. I was actually in the Knapps Narrows on September 28, 2014 not 2015. We stayed overnight at the very nice Knapps Narrows Marina and Inn. There were several other sailboats along their floating dock where there was plenty of water.

I remember it was tricky getting in, but we found deep enough water along one edge of the channel. Going out, no problem as we now knew the channel.

Still, that's a lot of shoaling in a short time. Sure hope the COE can get it together and get it dredged. It's a very nice stop.

Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	Knapps.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	122254
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:58   #9

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Z

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum