Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 02:42   #1

Chesapeake dry storage

hello,

being away from my boat due to work and paying to slip her in Annapolis, along w winterizing bottom paint dives maintenance, you know, boat ownership... w/o a reliable person to check in on her is just getting to be too much wasted money. The boat has sentimental value so I don't want to sell her and hope I'll be able to move to the area again one day. Does anyone recommend a place to dry store her at a good rate within say a 3 hr sail of Annapolis? 35' sloop. Ideally would be a place I could launch it and sail her once a year or so, if that opportunity came up. man what a bummer to even be discussing this.
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 07:48   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Chesapeake dry storage

Try Casa Rio marina in Mayo. Reportedly relatively inexpensive storage but haven’t verified.
Eastern shore marinas may also be a place to check out- like Cambridge MD, rock hall, or Worton
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 08:49   #3

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

You could check out yards in Deltaville/up the rappahannock too. There are a bunch of smaller yards that might be just what you’re looking for. We’ll haul for the winter at True North Boatworks, on the Broad Creek side; other friends keep their boat at Regent Point.

Alternatively, though this would make launching/ sailing once a year hard, could be to bring her to your backyard/driveway, if you’re in a spot where that’s not forbidden.

Good luck.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:18   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sell. I understand sentimental value. I sold the boat I cruised with my family because I was not using it to its potential once they grew up.

This is eating you up, finacially and emotionally, with no scheduled end in sight. She will be older and need work in the future. There will be on-going stress. Let a new sailor maintain her and enjoy her, and then buy what you need when you can use her properly.

For now, get a kayak and get out on a local stream or marsh.

Having been there, that is the best advice I have. I've seen too many boats languish on the hard, slowly dying at considerable expanse and angst. I'm not sayin' get out of boating, just to find a way that makes you happier.
Old 23-10-2022, 03:20   #5

I am slowly and sadly coming to this conclusion. Thank you for the sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Sell. I understand sentimental value. I sold the boat I cruised with my family because I was not using it to its potential once they grew up.

This is eating you up, finacially and emotionally, with no scheduled end in sight. She will be older and need work in the future. There will be on-going stress. Let a new sailor maintain her and enjoy her, and then buy what you need when you can use her properly.

For now, get a kayak and get out on a local stream or marsh.

Having been there, that is the best advice I have. I've seen too many boats languish on the hard, slowly dying at considerable expanse and angst. I'm not sayin' get out of boating, just to find a way that makes you happier.
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage