Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 16:36   #16

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Chile Earthquake 8.3

Pinguino; The 300mm to 500mm waves were no big deal but can have treaturous effect in estuaries.
For NZ the continental shelf drags the wave height down. The 1960 wave was much bigger and without the continental shelf Hawaii got wacked.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 11:36   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

Hi,
At the time of the earthquake I was sailing south, at 150 nm just at the west of the epicenter. We only noticed a couple of "strange" waves that came from a different direction, that was all. We knew about the earthquake/tsunami tree hours later by email.
Aluminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 14:18   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminio View Post
Hi,
At the time of the earthquake I was sailing south, at 150 nm just at the west of the epicenter. We only noticed a couple of "strange" waves that came from a different direction, that was all. We knew about the earthquake/tsunami tree hours later by email.
Welcome aboard, Aluminio.

Thank your the real life observation.

Ann
Old 22-09-2015, 14:39   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminio View Post
Hi,
It does help to be in deep water and away from the coast. The Chilean continental shelf is so steep that the tsunami gets very nasty when going from several thousand meters deep to zero depth in a few kilometers

svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 15:43   #20

Boat: Bristol Corsair 24

I just joined this forum and since I live and sail in Chile, I started reading all posts related. That's how I found your post from 2 years ago with no answer. I can only guess the lack of answers was because the way you posed your concern. See, the way you are approaching sailing is wrong. You can't try to predict things in such a large scale. Much less keep safe from them. It would be like trying to predict all odds before riding a car on a highway!
Anyway, answering your question, Rhian and Andy were ready to leave Robinson Crusoe aboard Zephyrus when the tsunami hit. They helped and saved some people that night, and left before the second wave hit. Here's their blog>Robinson Crusoe Island, Juan Fernandez | Smiling Footprints
I hope whatever you guys choose to do after retirement, you approach it with abandon, for life is short anyway.

Tags
Chile