Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 08:50   #1

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41
Chirp sonar vs only digits

My first boat had a sonar fish finder. I kind of liked seeing a general picture of the bottom when I wanted it and having depth digits almost all the time in an info bar. My present boat came with only digits in a tri-data display. I'm about to upgrade from 2006 electronics to 2023 electronics and Im facing the choice of whether or not to shoulder the expense of having to haul and add another transducer to get the "picture" of the bottom vs just the numbers. Both of the electronics guys I've talked to seemed a little surprised that I, as a sailor, wanted more than just numbers since I'm not really a fisher person.

What I'd like to hear from the crowd here is if you have a sonar depthsounder and if you'd miss it if you didn't have it? Do you have only digits and couldn't care less about seeing the structure of the bottom? Do you not have it and kind of wish you did have the picture instead of just digits?

TIA,

Kurt
Old 24-07-2023, 09:01   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Chirp sonar vs only digits

A fact to consider is that the transponder can be installed inside the hull and shoot through it. Then you don't have to haul out, and you have one less appendage to be damaged by slings, stands, etc.