Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 15:07   #61

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Choosing the perfect boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I will get the ball rolling .

Firstly, I would not make it a popular production boat, as you are bound to get some details wrong, which will grate with any experienced sailors reading the novel.

I would suggest you make it a one off boat like ours - it is arguably the best type of boat for two people blue water cruising .
Agree, don't make it a boat people know about.
I would make it a small boat, custom built by some salty dude.
That gives plenty of fodder to write about, complaining about this and that being too small, cursing the salty builder, but then praising him too about
this or that. More interesting.
Old 18-08-2013, 15:41   #62

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Hi Dee,

I have to applaud your efforts to research your subject so you can write a book that doesn't make the informed roll their eyes and moan. Since you got into diving you may share one of my pet peeves. I can't count the number of times I have read books or even articles in somewhat technical publications that refer to SCUBA divers and their "oxygen" tanks. Of course no one is using oxygen except technical divers who may use it for deco stops at 20' or so.

In defense of the members of the forum, there have been so many threads (maybe average a few a week) about the best boat, the bluewater boat, the safest boat, the ...., well you get the point. So it is easy to do a quick scan of the subject and vent some frustration. However, if you have been doing this writing gig for long and submitted anything to a publisher (or more likely a long list of many publishers) then I'm certain you are not that easily discouraged. If you are, better change careers fast.

Regarding sailing being a bigger subject than diving I have two comments. First someone said on the forum (and I paraphrase) that sailing is something you can learn in a day but take a lifetime to master. On the other hand, depending on how you want to get into diving it can be a very deep subject as well.

Good luck and ask some more questions. One suggestion, the more specific and targeted the question the more detailed answer you'll get back.
I KNOW RIGHT??? Drives me crazy when I read a book that has diving references with ridiculous and outlandish ideas like the hero dive 347 ft on SCUBA and surfaced 30 minutes later carrying 50 pounds of shiny gold coins. Argh! Same thing about healthcare. I can't even watch medical shows because I spend half the time wanting to write in to the show and say "Seriously...you NEED to hire me as your consultant because this is soooo implausible." Continued thread drift...sorry.

Dee...glad to see you have the right attitude. I'm newly active on this board and I just can't believe how mean some people can be. I try and chalk it up to "maybe English isn't their first language" or "Maybe they don't realize that the lack of non-verbals makes things sound a bit harsh sometimes" but seriously...a few people are just jerks. But the nice helpful ones truly make up for it. Good luck! And knowing more about your story...I still like the Little Harbor 53. Absolutely gorgeous boat. The other one I might recommend is a Hylas. More out there, probably. The name might be a little more well-known. Just a damn sexy boat! Purrrr!!! :-)
Old 18-08-2013, 15:52   #63

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Hiya Diver! Medical Soaps on TV, have no factual contents; that's why they are called soaps. They cater to a population who is bored to tears, easily impressed by a janitor in a white coat and a stethoscope. As far as diving 1000 ft, with no deco stops...it can only happen on TV.

Mauritz
Ignorance is bliss, then you get the bends!
Old 18-08-2013, 16:00   #64

Re: Choosing the perfect boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Agree, don't make it a boat people know about.
I would make it a small boat, custom built by some salty dude.
That gives plenty of fodder to write about, complaining about this and that being too small, cursing the salty builder, but then praising him too about
this or that. More interesting.
Yes, I thought about it to start with and other people have suggested it too. I still think it would be ideal. Unfortunately I find that I still know too little about the subject to be able to 'make up' a boat. With a production boat I would have the advantage of lots and lots of info available from the manufacturer, the 'for sale' listings and other online reviews.
I suggested to ask the owners of a 'custom made' to send me the specs of their beauty and lots of pictures but my editor will have none of it because of the 'potential future legal claims'. I know it sounds crazy but that's the sad state of affairs when it comes to fiction writing nowadays.
DeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 17:07   #65

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
I actually sort of like the custom idea also, now that you mention it. Legal crap always messes things up. :-)
Old 18-08-2013, 17:39   #66

Thanks to everyone who have helped on this topic.
I have enough info to start digging on the matter of boat choice. As promised, everyone who provided useful insight and help will get add to the acknowledgements. I wish I could do more. Who knows, maybe one day our respective sails will take us to the same ports?

Maybe see you in other threads
Old 19-08-2013, 08:27   #67

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold

Valiant 40
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 08:39   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Cheoy Lee Clipper...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 13:59   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
BTW if you can fit some goats into the story would be appreciated .
Goats no but I'm sure I can fit a bucket
Old 19-08-2013, 14:15   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Diver! Medical Soaps on TV, have no factual contents; that's why they are called soaps. They cater to a population who is bored to tears, easily impressed by a janitor in a white coat and a stethoscope. As far as diving 1000 ft, with no deco stops...it can only happen on TV.

Mauritz
Ignorance is bliss, then you get the bends!
My daughter is a doctor and cannot stand most medical shows, all total Hollyweird nonsense. It really bugged her that in the intro to Scrubs they put the x-ray on the view box backwards. I guess a lot of fans complained because a couple of years into the show they had a character come out and flip the x-ray and comment about how annoying it was to see the x-ray reversed.

By the way, what's the problem diving 1000' with no deco stops? Just breathe pure oxygen on the dive and you won't accumulate any inert gases in your tissues.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 14:59   #71

Is this a fishing expedition? There isn't such a vessel. Only ones that the knowledgeable skipper has come to adapt to it's compromises. Key word here is knowledgeable AND SKIPPER.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:03   #72

Quote:
My daughter is a doctor and cannot stand most medical shows, all total Hollyweird nonsense. It really bugged her that in the intro to Scrubs they put the x-ray on the view box backwards. I guess a lot of fans complained because a couple of years into the show they had a character come out and flip the x-ray and comment about how annoying it was to see the x-ray reversed.

By the way, what's the problem diving 1000' with no deco stops? Just breathe pure oxygen on the dive and you won't accumulate any inert gases in your tissues.
Ya, but you'll be very very DEAD. Oxygen toxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:54   #73

Quote:
There is NO WAY this isn't a joke.
Old 19-08-2013, 15:58   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
There is NO WAY this isn't a joke.
Well of course it's a joke. Everyone knows you can't dive any deeper than 500' on oxygen.
Old 19-08-2013, 16:02   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Ya, but you'll be very very DEAD. Oxygen toxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well actually that was a joke. Sorry I forgot to insert a smiley face to indicate humor.

In fact I contributed to the wikipedia articles on trimix and technical diving so am aware of the issues.