Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 10:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Circunavigation Let's get real and rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
Hi
look for a Calypso 43 sailing yacht, designed by Frans Maas in the Netherlands. Built at first in steel (round bilged) and after in GRP in Germany. Very reliable boat used for severalt circumnavigations. Full keel, lots of tankage ~320 Gal water, ~320 Gal Diesel Fuel. Only 5' draft. Look at the link:
https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbroker...ALYPSO-43.html
Unfortunately rarely available but worth the money.
Good luck
James

thank you but it too big for my needs,
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circunavigation Let's get real and rough

Browse the used boat market for an Ovni 365..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15080516153017748866001.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	171497   Click image for larger version

Name:	argos-yachtcharter-ovni-365-3-kabinen-6-kojen-1-wc-aussenansicht-2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	171498  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:26   #18

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

A friend of mine, an experenced sailor told methat he would only buy a steel boat for his circumnavigation. I asked him: "As I know you are an experenced sailor and navigator. Do you need a boat for sailing or sitting safely on the reefs?"
So after I while he was buying a nice Calypso 43 in 1985 sailed in seven years with wife and the young daughter around the world and sailed later several transatlantic passages, finally he sold the boat in 2012 for a good price. Not hitting reefs, the boat has several times be beached (not stranded an important difference).

Again good luck
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:32   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Hello,
I do own a beneteu first 26 1984 that I have been sailing solo or with one crew the past 2 years in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic , the boat seems to be sea worthy and have perform remarkable good and comfortable on up to 40 to 45 knots of wind in the Atlantic ,have been had crashing waves in and on the boat , heaving to , broken rudder , broken tiller , broken roller in the past and never needed external help because the boat is capable of carrying spares and food for the trip , I never was capsized or knocked down (yet) and always have the right sails and safety gear with me , now to the question .
My mind tells me that this boat is safe and CHEAP to sail in the trade winds ,but my dreams are bigger than that I want to explore some remote sides of the world visit Africa , and south America and maybe pass through the capes or mangelan canal , studying the pilot charts and other sources I believe that the boat is not capable of safely doing such a trip so I am looking forward of building a new boat or buy and modify a used one (remarkable cheaper than the new boat but hard to find the design I want ).

What would be the best construction materials for such a trip ? Aluminium , steel or fiberglass?
I want the boat to be able to dry it self so twin keels or lifting keel ?
What is safer ? Foam cores unsinkable fiberglass boat or a metal one with water tight compartment ? ?
If a fiberglass boat wash ashore or is on dry water from the tide and lean on one side can it take the damage?
My mind is telling me to go for metal specific steel , through I can't find any steel with twin keels or lifting keel on the market .

Let me.knownyour opinions
I'm sorry. I'm not sure a boat that size with the winds and waves of that size make you, capable a troll or a fool. It sounds like a dream if not trolling.
I wish you well.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:34   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
Ah, the question…, but I’m now looking back at 70, so I suspect it isn’t going to happen. Still I think about it –
Hey...If you can't sail your own boat around the Cape, why not book passage on the Star Princess? I am going aboard to round the Horn twice in January, 2019. Not as adventurous as my own boat, but I imagine the food will be better.

It beats not going.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm sorry. I'm not sure a boat that size with the winds and waves of that size make you, capable a troll or a fool. It sounds like a dream if not trolling.
I wish you well.

I dont understand if you are talking about my current experiences or about the high latitudes , about the high latitudes i do know my current boat isn't capable and that's why i started the post, about the storms i been in the Atlantic , the boat performs very well and its safe.

Quote:
A friend of mine, an experenced sailor told methat he would only buy a steel boat for his circumnavigation. I asked him: "As I know you are an experenced sailor and navigator. Do you need a boat for sailing or sitting safely on the reefs?"
So after I while he was buying a nice Calypso 43 in 1985 sailed in seven years with wife and the young daughter around the world and sailed later several transatlantic passages, finally he sold the boat in 2012 for a good price. Not hitting reefs, the boat has several times be beached (not stranded an important difference).

Again good luck
James
thank you , did he sailed the normal way through panama canal ? or he went through the capes? my current boat is fine for Transatlantic , but i am looking for something more.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:00   #22

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

He was sailing the Panama Canal, Pacific to NZ and AU later Indonesia, Indian Ocean and up the Red Sea to the Med. Later he had the boat in Brittany, then in the Med from where he sailed two times to the Caribbean and back to Med.

As for me with my epoxy foam cored catamaran I sailed first as my friend did around the world and a 2nd circumnavigation to the Falkland Islands and the Hoorn and after AU over the Indian Ocean to the Cape of good hope.

I'm a catamaran sailor for long voyages but for shorter trips I like monohulls also. The OVNI 365 would be a good boat, but as she was built several (1980s)years ago rather small as the cabin is short and the tail (jupes as the French say) is a very (too) important part of the boat.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
He was sailing the Panama Canal, Pacific to NZ and AU later Indonesia, Indian Ocean and up the Red Sea to the Med. Later he had the boat in Brittany, then in the Med from where he sailed two times to the Caribbean and back to Med.

As for me with my epoxy foam cored catamaran I sailed first as my friend did around the world and a 2nd circumnavigation to the Falkland Islands and the Hoorn and after AU over the Indian Ocean to the Cape of good hope.

I'm a catamaran sailor for long voyages but for shorter trips I like monohulls also. The OVNI 365 would be a good boat, but as she was built several (1980s)years ago rather small as the cabin is short and the tail (jupes as the French say) is a very (too) important part of the boat.
Catamaran is a different story , i dont really like them ... but i have to admit , the catamarans i have sail for deliveries (Privilege) they do perform well .

If my plan was the same as your friend's i would choose a GRP boat (probably keeping mine ) but unfortunately i plan to visit different locations and sail up rivers and thats why i believe steel is needed or aluminum .
Yes Ovni looks nice but too expensive unfortunately .
Old 11-06-2018, 11:42   #24

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Boreal 44/47
Garcia Expedition 45 or 52

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:53   #25

Boat: Cal-40

I think your way underestimating the cost, time and work to build an ocean going vessel. You’d be much better off to find an existing boat and put this together for your needs. So many well intended folks undertake the endeavor to build a boat only to find that years later there is is half finished sitting alongside their house. In many places it’s a buyers market and great boats can be had on the cheap. Don’t go to small. Push for something at least 35-40 feet. Going around the great capes and high latitude sailing can be serious business and when sh#t hits the fan your going to want more boat under you and less money in the bank. I bought a boat 12 years ago and spent the next several years rebuilding it. As I had spent much of my life a commercial fisherman in Alaska I already had experienced working on deck in foul weather so I oversized everything on my sailboat. In my opinion much of the production boats just have way to whimsy ports, cleats, rails and rigging. Below deck you can see small backing plates or worse just large fender washers. These are the boats for the drink in hand, margaritaville jimmy Buffett hanging out in the anchorage types.
But if your like me you know the best places are the hardest to get too. Far away from the weekend credit card skippers and yacht clubs. You need a real expedition vessel that takes you places and when you arrive you have the onboard self sufficiency to stay. Look at some of the videos posted on you tube by Skip Novak. I’ve met this man and checked out his boat. Now of course he’s got a lot of money for boats but..... he also has a lot of good ideas and experience in remote sailing under adverse conditions. Keep pushing and I hope to see you out here.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 13:13   #26

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Unfortunately you are right full Keeler's are long gone , as the seaworthy production boats .
I am looking for something between 30 to 34 feet range .
Thank you for the name references I am googling for information.
Building a new one would be amazing but the budget difference is really high.
Island Packet are still in production. A full keel boat with beautiful fit and finish. Very sea kind and definitely blue water capable!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 16:45   #27

The young lady on the "Emerald Steel" took a welding course and welded a 50' ketch from the keel to the top of the mast and she's been sailing it all over the world for the last 30+ years with her husband. No Excuses !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 17:23   #28

Circumnavigation..
Many years ago, in the 1970's when the fin-keel was just coming into vogue, GRP boats were built of hand-laid cloth about 1" thick. There were strong. There were others that were built with chopper guns and were not.
I purchased a 1978 built Catalina 30 in 1979, beefed up the rigging and chainplates, added a baby stay from the single spreaders to the deck parallel with the forestay, fitted a "autohelm' wind-vane and rudder and, after some good testing, sailed singlehanded from Singapore to Singapore via W & S coasts of Australia, New Zealand, Cape Horn. Falkland Islands, Brazil, UK, Med. & back to Singapore. The trip took 22 months.

Weather included a 90 knot (measured at deck-level by anemometer) wind approaching Cape Horn, with waves approx. double the mast-height, a roll-over off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and a sail to UK with repaired shrouds and no boom.

It can be done in GRP boats. There are still boats, such as Halberg-Rassy and a few others, that are being seriously built. I'm afraid the production boats these days are generally too lightly built for such voyages. In fact Frank Butler, who was head of Catalina Yachts, advised that the standard Catalina was not built for crossing oceans - however assisted me with some heavier rigging.

I hope this assists. PS: I still own "Rumbottle".
Rumbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 17:36   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

What is your budget and time frame?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 17:53   #30

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

S+S 34...…….Great credentials......several have been around the Horn.....nuff said.
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation