Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
ClampTite Tool

I saw this tool demo'd in Annapolis a couple of years ago, and it looked impressive. I didn't buy it at the time because I was focused on boats, not tools, but I definitely thought about it.

I'm wondering if anyone owns this, and if it works as well as it looked during the demo. If it works well, this would be a really good option for emergency clamp repairs. In fact, I wonder if this would work better than a traditional clamp.

I'd love to hear some feedback...

https://clamptitetools.com

here is a video..

scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:52   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: ClampTite Tool

The people I've known who bought them didn't have much good to say about them, after they had lived with it for a while. One threw it away, the other left it at home.

• Does the tool and spools of wire really save much space over a small selection of proper clamps?
  • It does not spread the force on the rubber, damaging the hose over time.
  • Often more access space is required.
  • What if you need to remove or reposition? Doable, but considerably more difficult, particularly if the space is tight.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16   #3

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I own one, and it works, with caveats. I have used it successfully on a couple of oddball items, but prefer actual clamps in most cases.

My main complaint about it isn't anything anything mentioned by Thinwater (which are legit complaints) but the seeming deception in their demos. The wire used by the people doing the demo is quite malleable and easy to work with. They make it look like you can whip out clamps in a few seconds. The truth is that good SS safety wire is stiff and hard to work with. I haven't had much practice, and practice would help a lot, but it takes me at least 15 minutes per clamp if I have the item being clamped on the cockpit table where I can work with it.

Bottom line is that it worked well to clamp 90 degree 4" silicone rubber elbows to radon mitigation fans that I use to cool my dive compressor. I would also use it in an emergency situation if I had no other clamp available, but what a PITA.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:24   #4

well.. that makes me sad. It looked like a great multi-purpose tool. But, probably better to keep a stash of clamps...

btw... Tornado.. where in Kansas are you?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56   #5

I'm just south and west of KC, about 20 minutes down I-35. Live in Gardner, work in Olathe near Garmin.

I don't regret buying the tool, and would probably buy it even en knowing what I know now. It takes up very little room, and having a spool of safety wire on board is a good idea anyway. Just know that it's a PITA to use, but in a pinch you can get by with it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57   #6

I see you're in Leavenworth. You go to Lake Perry?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17   #7

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
well.. that makes me sad. It looked like a great multi-purpose tool. But, probably better to keep a stash of clamps...

btw... Tornado.. where in Kansas are you?

We have had this tool onboard for many years. Arriving in the Marquesas and doing a rigging check I noticed a wire that had a parted strand. On the advice of a good friend and rigger I used this tool to wrap an inch of wire around the strand break. I was working half way up the backstay in a folly anchorage but was able to get a very tight wrap on it. A hose lamp would NOT have worked. This allowed me to get to Papeete and replace the wire. Upon removing it and laying it on the dock I was amazed at how tight this little tool could get the wire.

Have used this in a few other spots that needed a strong seizing wire wrap.

I use SS or monel wire and after some practice was able to obtain a very very tight wrap.

It takes very little space and doesn’t cost much. If you are away from repair facilities you may just find a use for it.

Just my 2 francs worth

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo’orea
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have had one for years and have found a lot of uses for it. It is fairly useless as a replacement for hose clamps for the reasons others have stated as well as the fact that hose clamps are often in a relatively tight space that does not allow you to swing the Clamptite tool 180 degrees as needed.
On the other hand I have used it to make a boat pole out of a cleat wired to a length of bamboo, oars by using wire to lash blades onto bamboo, fastening D-rings to the pushpit for awning attachments, securing rigging wire to the seagull striker etc. My main gripe is that the wing nut is a little tough on the fingers. Mine was stolen and I replaced it with the 'pro' model shown in the video above. I feel that they are way overpriced but I am a tool geek and like having one aboard.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

An alternative to zipties for the times when you don't have the right spare, perhaps?

They've always looked good compared to not having a clamp, but more complicated than just getting the right clamp for the job.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:15   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I've used mine for odd jobs. I mounted a GPS antenna on the stern rail with a bracket that came with a hose clamp for securing it. Neat, tight wraps of wire using the clamp tite looked a lot better.

There have been other things, and while there certainly are limitations as have been pointed out, I find it useful to have on board.

I keep one at home, too. For different functions around the yard (and believe me, I don't spend a lot of time doing that instead of boat stuff!) I may want a short piece of garden hose. I hate a hose clamp for securing those fittings, so use my clamp tite and cover that with heat shrink.
ggray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 14:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have one on each boat. I don’t use it a lot but there are times when it’s just the ticket.

I had a macerated pump connection I could NOT stop leaking with clamps. This puppy? Fixed it first shot.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:05   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I got a kit with all three sizes - including the one for fenceposts & telephone poles - plus lots of SS safety wire for $50 on eBay!

Haven't had a chance to use it yet 8-D
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 16:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I see you're in Leavenworth. You go to Lake Perry?
Yes we are at Perry Yacht Club. that's the club that is sailboat only. Just moved here 2 months ago...
Old 08-08-2018, 16:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I have had one for years and have found a lot of uses for it. It is fairly useless as a replacement for hose clamps for the reasons others have stated as well as the fact that hose clamps are often in a relatively tight space that does not allow you to swing the Clamptite tool 180 degrees as needed.
On the other hand I have used it to make a boat pole out of a cleat wired to a length of bamboo, oars by using wire to lash blades onto bamboo, fastening D-rings to the pushpit for awning attachments, securing rigging wire to the seagull striker etc. My main gripe is that the wing nut is a little tough on the fingers. Mine was stolen and I replaced it with the 'pro' model shown in the video above. I feel that they are way overpriced but I am a tool geek and like having one aboard.
You sound like a modern day MacGyver!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Yes we are at Perry Yacht Club. that's the club that is sailboat only. Just moved here 2 months ago...
So the black Hobie 33 "Hose Guys" that sits on a lift, that's me and Rick Gepford. I also have a 27 footer in the back lot that desperately needs to belong to someone else.