Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 08:16   #31

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Clunkers v Modern

So that's what we're doing here? We're "entertaining ourselves" at other people's expense? If that's the purpose of this forum then it is definitely not the place for me. As always, Internet courage at work.
Old 13-03-2016, 08:55   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

He definitely appears to be trying to start trouble.

Maybe he's getting bored waiting for the cyclone season to end while anchored in a tropical paradise.....

(he's on Tarawa. Anyone that was a Marine knows about that Island)

Actually, I remember this guy from the other thread. He is very happily cruising the world.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:05   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we even have an old clunkers society -- we all sail out to sea on a breezy day and watch those in modern one masted boats run back into slips like scalded dogs, afraid of some wind, while we catch fishies and clunk along happily.
Yes...
While all the make believe sailors with modern boats are back at home changing their underwear and having mommy make them a little lunch, the real sailors in Greek Fisherman's Caps are standing on a pounding bowsprit lighting their Meerschaum Pipe and shaking an angry fist at the sea gods while roaring "ARRR Bring it on!"
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:06   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
So that's what we're doing here? We're "entertaining ourselves" at other people's expense? If that's the purpose of this forum then it is definitely not the place for me. As always, Internet courage at work.
Yes some threads are for entertainment and they may even have some learning inbedded in them look at the climate change thread it was and I do believe many even posted it. Gives us something to do until the spring breakup. Not internet courage. And by your " at others expense " statement I take it you are offended well I have at the op would call clunkers one is a morc boat and the other is the spencer which I would gladly put up against the newer boats of the same caliber. It doesn't matter what we got as long as we are happy with it. I bet I spent less on maintance last year on both my boats than some spent on one of the " modern" designs.
Old 13-03-2016, 09:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Now you all know we don't like calling our fellow posters trolls, so to those that did, I apologise that your time was wasted, in that now your posts have been removed.
I didn't know vat!

Of course we Engwish, bwessed as we are wiv innate good manners, never wesort to such behaviour and are vus excused wuwes, cowwect?

Pwowd to own a cwunker by ver way...
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:11   #36

Hey Zee,
Are "Scalded Dogs" like Coney Island tube steaks?
If so, make me one with everything... little Zen humor.
Or maybe "Scalded Dogs" are simply K-9's in hot water.
A tad confused here??
Old 13-03-2016, 09:27   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Hey Zee,
Are "Scalded Dogs" like Coney Island tube steaks?
If so, make me one with everything... little Zen humor.
Or maybe "Scalded Dogs" are simply K-9's in hot water.
A tad confused here??
Now come on it was a keyboard error and I hope you could see it and are just having a bit o fun she meant. Scolded
Old 13-03-2016, 09:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Now come on it was a keyboard error and I hope you could see it and are just having a bit o fun she meant. Scolded
I was just having fun too, playing with words.
Perhaps I should be more sensitive about hot-dog jokes.
I don't want to appear to be a real weenie.
Old 13-03-2016, 10:42   #39

Yep, it's the tropical paradise thing. N 1.25 and E 172.58.

You'll have to ask him where he's anchored!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...fd42d4c3159ec8
Old 13-03-2016, 15:29   #40

Now I'm confused.

I thought this forum wanted opinions from offshore cruising sailors and not from coastal cruisers especially those that have mainly sailed/raced on boats without engines.

I'm thinking Tarawa is offshore. (by maybe 1,000 miles)

Is this site mainly about who agrees with the majority or who has knowledge of cruising?
Old 13-03-2016, 15:40   #41

Just because you are in the Pacific islands doesn't make you an expert cruiser although it certainly makes you a cruiser. Sailing skills vary as does the experience level. There are cruisers who can learn a lot about sailing skills talking with weekend racers and those same racers can learn tons about cruising from folks like you.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:45   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Don't worry Becky, we're all still here! All the clunker lovers! It's just typical bar room braggadocio you know like, "Hey, what you got? Columbia 29? What? Did someone give it to you? What a mess, huh? Chopper gun? Oh I heard all those Columbias were chopper gun boats... I guess they had their day... Me? Beneteau... yeah she's great, beautiful boat... Huh? Oh yeah that is my car, thanks, yeah it's a beauty, true classic, really hard to find now...... no not '55, it's a '56 Chevy... yeah that new paint job really set me back... thanks, yeah I am really happy how she is looking now..."
Having sailed a range of boats, and having made it home on all of them, I will say now to almost any boatowner I meet, any kind thing I can think of about their boat regardless of whether I might have chosen that boat for myself to own or not. I mean EVERY boat has at least one good thing you can say about it. I remember many years back a gentleman sailed in to the anchorage where I was in what was clearly a home-made boat, quite crudely made. He had his family along and he was beaming ear to ear. It only took us 7 hours! he said proudly. That for a trip where I considered 4 hours to be slow. But clearly that boat, and sailing it, made him very, very happy. Which is the same experience the "modern" boat owners and the "clunker" owners are having. I'm ok with a little good-natured challenge to my old boat. I'd prefer to have the debate with someone who has some experience many kinds of boats, but in the end I'll share a beer with him in the anchorage that he gets to an hour ahead of me! Oh and BTW I am guessing James does have a broad range of experience, coming from a Tahiti ketch.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:50   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

PEACE!

Or else I will have you all whipped and dragged below the keel of our modern clunker!!!

;-)

Tarawa I never heard they make any rum. Why go places that do not make rum?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:56   #44

Whats a clunker? It it determined by the year built? How it's maintained? How well it sail's? How well it's sailed by it's skipper? or is it determined by some over weight, sweaty, inheritance barfing elitist who has a $1,500,000.00 boat he entertains his/her guest's aboard on Friday night? Looking down in contempt at me as I motor out of the marina in my tiny old 30'? If so P.M. me and I'll send you a pic and info on my boat, maybe you can help by judging just what the hell she might or might not be, cus Im confused. Sometimes it really sucks being a newbee and not knowing these things.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 16:01   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
PEACE!

Or else I will have you all whipped and dragged below the keel of our modern clunker!!!

;-)

Tarawa I never heard they make any rum. Why go places that do not make rum?

b.
Because the better places make rum cakes?

Tortuga Rum Cakes
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote