Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 18:16   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Coastal cruising: Big cabin windows better for those who like a view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
Let's take a look

Time looking outside: 10 minutes a day.
Time trying to keep the cabin cool: 24 hours a day.

Verdict: Small windows.

Big windows, big overhangs and big ventilation = cool cabins
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:21   #32

I moved to BC from SF in Northern California three years ago. I'd been boating all my life, started owning in 1983: C22 for 5, C25 for 13 and this boat for 21.

Some folks call monohull interiors "caves." I like my cave. I actually have found I spend more time down below here than I did in California. It's colder in the winter and when the sun shines here during the season it's darned hot and strong.

I like my saloon. If I want a view I stand up. I like the privacy, both at anchor, in mooring field or at docks, mine or visiting.

The only folks I knew with a full cockpit enclosure in SF got very good at assembling it in quick order. Here, they leave them up all the time. while it's nice to have a complete extra room, besides cost, I still haven't gotten mind around having "shade" all the time with enclosures and biminis. They're wearing ski gear in their shade while I'm in shorts and T shirts.

Like all things boating, it's a compromise.

All YOU need to know is what YOU like. Bots are available for purchase, new and used, with just those features.

The many Mark II versions of almost all Catalinas, for example since I know them well, have hull ports that the early boats didn't have. Not enough for me to buy one 21 years ago at twice the price!

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 06:35   #33

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

On our Tayana 37, I felt like I was living in a cave. After years of sailing, we went to the dark side and bought a 48' one off trawler. I have really enjoyed the space and the view. BTW, we also have 2 cats.
Old 27-05-2019, 07:15   #34
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

I love the nice BIG windows on my GunBoat, except when the sun is beating down through them. At night I pull the curtains when others are within sight for privacy, other than that I always enjoy the view.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:47   #35

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have no windows. Lots of skylights and prisms, but if we want to look out we stick our heads our the hatch. (looks like ground hogs to neighbors, I guess)

In hot climates any window lets painful sunlight in, so windows need to be shaded anyhow.
Old 27-05-2019, 10:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
So, what's your experiences with your boat and gazing out? Do you think big cabin windows are the go? Or is a cockpit with some weather protection a good alternative if the cabin is like a cave?
Being 6'10" and living on a 32' sailboat would seem problematic, Gulf 32' Pilothouse Sloop, problem solved.

h_story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:30   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
If you have done coastal cruising, spending days anchored up, what's your experience been with the size of your cabin windows? For those of you who like to gaze around at the world when anchored, is it preferable to have a view out, say when seated at the table, or does it not matter?

I've been thinking about getting another boat and been recalling how I enjoyed with my previous one, being able to look out when at the table in the cabin. Especially during days and days of rain. However, it seems with most monohulls I've looked at, the windows are small and one stands up to peek out. I guess if the cockpit has decent covers (which my old boat didn't have) and was amenable for relaxing with a cup of tea then that view may compensate for a cabin with small and high windows and limited view. Maybe.

So, what's your experiences with your boat and gazing out? Do you think big cabin windows are the go? Or is a cockpit with some weather protection a good alternative if the cabin is like a cave?
Each to their own but for me, being on the ocean and staying in quiet beautiful anchorages..
..... is all about the view over a cuppa tea and good company.

My airconditioned Pilothouse has a great raised seating/dining area that is perfect for that, especially if the weather is threatening or oppressively hot.Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pilothouse.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	192752
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Stargazer pilothouse Seating.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	192750Click image for larger version

Name:	3a Pilothouse2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	192751

The standard dining , down below and across from the Galley is for convenience and the cockpit is quite social Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Stargazer <a title=Saloon 2.jpg Views: 102 Size: 54.5 KB ID: 192753" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	6 Stargazer <a title=Galley 2.jpg Views: 102 Size: 48.5 KB ID: 192756" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	1b Cockpit2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	192754
But a pilothouse seating area is great for a liveaboard

Name:	Sail8.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	192757
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:50   #38

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I agree with OP 100%. I hate being below and not being able to see. Modern boats have slits for ports, and to make it worse I'm only 5'8. I can't see a damn thing! Our '79 Sabre 34 has fairly large and low ports, and I can see nearly panoramic -- although I do have to stand up. I lust for the view of a cat, and DS boats have been in our search for a new boat (although many come with other compromises we don't want, like poor interior layouts and minimal storage). being able to stand below decks and see a dingy going by is all but a "must have" in our search, and it does limit the choices!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 17:30   #39

Boat: Oyster 66

I’ve got a raised saloon. I like it a lot. To deal with the solar gain issue I made some external awnings for the windows and there is no heating any more, yet I can still see out as well as before. Curtains just don’t work at all well, plus they block the view.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 20:58   #40

Boat: boatles ,first time in 50 yrs.

Quote:
If you have done coastal cruising, spending days anchored up, what's your experience been with the size of your cabin windows? For those of you who like to gaze around at the world when anchored, is it preferable to have a view out, say when seated at the table, or does it not matter?

I've been thinking about getting another boat and been recalling how I enjoyed with my previous one, being able to look out when at the table in the cabin. Especially during days and days of rain. However, it seems with most monohulls I've looked at, the windows are small and one stands up to peek out. I guess if the cockpit has decent covers (which my old boat didn't have) and was amenable for relaxing with a cup of tea then that view may compensate for a cabin with small and high windows and limited view. Maybe.

i wouldn't go to sea with a window in the hull ,THEN i bought a Jeanneau 37 , liked it then a Bene 411 loved it Now i wouldn't have a yacht with out them, We change just like the weather
billnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 21:10   #41

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Big windows are better.

I was on a mooring in Ross Creek in Townsville Australia for a time and noticed some nearby boats at the edge of the marina with nice big windows. During the day, men would be opening the curtains and peering out then women would come along and close them.

Found out later that the building beside the creek across from the boats was a strip club with its second story windows facing the creek, and with good eyes from the marina one could watch the ladies practicing doing pole dancing. Or so I was told. My eyes weren't good enough and my wife lost my binoculars.

[Well, I have exaggerated a little in this story, not much.]
Old 29-05-2019, 21:40   #42

Boat: Kristen 52

We have a raised deck salon(ie pilothouse)
Love our view from inside.
Heat not an issue with 12mm tinted and outside mirror coating on windows.
Usually cooler inside boat than outside, insulated steel boat.
We are in the tropics.
Cheers
Old 30-05-2019, 05:04   #43

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We were originally concerned about heat in our pilot house when we bought the boat but it seems to be pretty well insulated and has big hatches to funnel air through. We find it is cooler then the cockpit on hot days and found ourselves sitting inside to cool off many hot days if there was breeze at anchor.
I think every boat is a little different in this regard so if you are considering a boat like this checking out that ventilation and maybe seeing if there is some insulation in the cabin top may be advisable.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cruising, wind