Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2005, 11:45   #1

coastal cruising in a small boat

Since my wife and I are in a transition phase of moving from Louisiana to south Alabama, still near the water, we are not ready to invest in a big sailboat yet. We are looking into catamarans later on, but want to start doing some coastal cruising in the meantime. What is everybody's opinion about doing this, intercoastal and shoreline sailing, on our Starwind 22 footer? We would be teaming up with our friends who have a Hunter 30 footer, very experienced sailor, and just getting some cruising time in. Any opinions about this? Thanks for everybody's time and we really enjoy the column!
bayoubouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 14:37   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
BB, the Starwind is just one of many, many choices available to you but here are some criteria I´d encourage you to consider, given your location, inexperience, and future plans:

1. Ease of resale - what´s favored in your new LA area? what do the brokers tell you are the easier boats to move in your class/size/cost category?
2. Variable draft, not just due to the waters there but it also gives you more options if you can't or don't want to pull the boat and a tropical storm is approaching.
3. Cockpit protection from the sun - as you know, the summers where you are can be tough and the cockpit of a small boat will get the most use at that time of year. What lends itself to cover, ventilation and, in late fall/early Spring, might most easily lend itself to an owner-rigged cockpit enclosure?

Just a few thoughts to get you thinking. Good luck on the move, and on the boat shopping!

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 21:58   #3

coastal cruising

Thanks for the suggestions! We have had our Starwind for 10 years now and feel it is a good, solid boat. It has the swing keel, 18" to 5' draft. It is on the trailer, pretty easy to pull.
I talked to my sailing buddy today and coincidently he was considering basically the same move with his 22 footer, to get it cleaned up and start coastal sailing toward Florida, (his wife is a little iffy about sailing). He is very experienced in the Keys with that boat. He was very enthusiastic when I told him we were thinking about "tagging" along with his 30 footer in our 22 footer, he thought it would work out for now. Get some experience and mainly GET OUT THERE AND DO IT!!!
Thanks for any input!!
bayoubouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 22:35   #4

Do it! We had a Catalina 22 and spent several 2 wk or more stints on it. I would want a bimini and some mosquito neting since you'll be spending a lot of time in the cockpit instead of below. Have a great time.