Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2023, 11:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
"Coastal waters"

Thought I would share a bit of information. As I am starting to venture further out than the Chesapeake Bay, I wondered about my insurance coverage. The policy is with BoatUS/Geico and states the policy is in effect in US inland waters and "coastal waters." As I could not find a statement in the policy of what is meant by "coastal waters" I called Geico. The rep took a few minutes to look the definition, which is 75 nm out from any US or Canada land as long as the vessel does not cross into the waters of another country. That works for me!
Old 26-12-2023, 11:54   #2

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: "Coastal waters"

So based on that definition sailing 150nm to an offshore Island means you were at all times in coastal waters? That definitely works for me if correct!
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 11:57   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

My policy specifies 100 nm from shore, so 75 seems fine.
Old 26-12-2023, 12:00   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grith View Post
So based on that definition sailing 150nm to an offshore Island means you were at all times in coastal waters? That definitely works for me if correct!
As long as the island belongs to US or Canada it seems.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 12:35   #5

Boat: Imexus 28

I would say at 75-100nm offshore but still in coastal waters you had better be equipped for some offshore type sailing not just coastal even if still insured as a coastal waters only sailer!
No quick duck back into safe harbour if that far out and an unforecasted weather event strikes!
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 12:38   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
I would say at 75-100nm offshore but still in coastal waters you had better be equipped for some offshore type sailing not just coastal even if still insured as a coastal waters only sailer!
No quick duck back into safe harbour if that far out and an unforecasted weather event strikes!
Very true. I'm glad that when I sail from the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay up to Cape May I don't have to worry about an incident and being told, "oh, you weren't covered there."
Old 26-12-2023, 12:59   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Very true. I don’t think my policy calls this “coastal.” I’d call it offshore.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 17:37   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What matters is your insurance company's definition, but just for reference (since the discussion seems to be headed this way): for liscencing purposes the USCG considers 200nm or less from land to be "near coastal".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 19:57   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, our 3d party coverage from Nautilus (here in Australia) is good for 250 nm from the mainland or Tasmania. It can be amended by "special considerations", but I dunno what that entails.

Jim
Old 27-12-2023, 12:23   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

It is interesting to hear about other yacht cover details.

Just for comparison, our cover area is described as follows:

Quote:
Navigational territory is defined as 150 miles from a safe port, harbor, or anchorage in the United States, Canada [including NW Passage], or the Pacific Coast of Mexico…
Since we currently have no ocean crossings planned, this reduces our costs and suits our current needs very well.

FWIW

Cheers, Bill
Old 27-12-2023, 15:00   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW, our 3d party coverage from Nautilus (here in Australia) is good for 250 nm from the mainland or Tasmania. It can be amended by "special considerations", but I dunno what that entails.

Jim
If its like many insurance policies, you can get a "rider" for trips that fall outside the normally covered area. The Underwriters, who apparently lack any knowledge whatsoever of nautical things, get to decide which rider requests they will approve.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 15:00   #12

Boat: Bavaria 38E

The oceanographic demarcation between littoral (coastal) and oceanic ("offshore") waters is at the position of the shelf break; i.e., where the continental shelf ends and the slope begins. It varies depending on the type of continental margin, but typically it lies at or near 200 m depth. The shelf break is farther from shore along the US east coast than it is along the west coast. Something like 100+ n.mi. versus about 60 or fewer n.mi. Take the average for a general-speak insurance policy and you get about 75 n.mi. Can't ask a newbie sailor in his/her first boat to read and interpret a bathymetric chart (one not even aboard these days) marked in fathoms or meters, even with a USCG "captain's license" in some cases. Not when we are conditioned to use marketing slogans like "blue water" to talk to each other. It would be more useful to stipulate no coverge farther offshore than, say, 12 or 24 hr travel from safe harbor, without permission.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:17   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

That is true for master. Six pack is 100 nm
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:25   #14

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Also, be careful to fully read the riders and exclusions, the details of which may only be referenced in the policy binder you are provided.

Our policy stated coverage for the "Atlantic Coast". Picked up the boat in Fort Lauderdale and headed north back to the Chesapeake. Along the way, circumstances (no claims) caused me to go through the tedious and tortorous process of digging out the referenced rider on navigation areas.

Lo, and behold, "Atlantic Coast" really meant only from St. John, New Brunswick south to Morehead City, North Carolina.

Caveat emptor
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:57   #15

Boat: Albin 40 Classic Trawler

Strongly suggest that you get a signed, written statement from your insurance company regarding the definition. In God we trust, all others have to put it in writing.
JimZeigler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water