Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2024, 20:52   #151

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
re: Collision and Dismasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchac View Post
It might help you with your fight:

The sailboats almost always have rules of the road "stand-on" against motor vessels.
Exceptions have motor vessels, which cannot maneuver. In this case, they have to inform you with a special combination of lights at night or special signals during the day.
I know the small commercial fishing boats do not bother.
I recently collided with a cargo ship. I was doing 8 knots of speed to 0 knots in a split second. Everything in the boat violently thrown forward. Was 12 miles from land. Are ships supposed to maneuver or blow horn or do anything at all? I dont even know if they noticed that I hit them even afterwards.
I was cold and trying to warm up in my sleeping bag after being awake for 36 hours and dozed off for a few minutes.. certainly this is part is my fault.

Right before impact my boat was pitching violently (ships bow wake) alerted me and I climbed out as fast as I could but in the impact tore my shoulder (was pulling myself outside) Now I am trying to do physical therapy. I already had surgery once on that shoulder and now I think its back to how it was before. I had just rebuilt the bow of my boat to replace rotten wood and it was very strong and just smashed 2 bows and broke the anchor roller. Never heard anything from the ship on radio and I couldnt pick it up on ais but it is still unclear if it was my radio which was having issues.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 05:35   #152

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I recently collided with a cargo ship. I was doing 8 knots of speed to 0 knots in a split second. Everything in the boat violently thrown forward. Was 12 miles from land. Are ships supposed to maneuver or blow horn or do anything at all? I dont even know if they noticed that I hit them even afterwards.
I was cold and trying to warm up in my sleeping bag after being awake for 36 hours and dozed off for a few minutes.. certainly this is part is my fault.

The ColRegs are pretty clear on a few things and one of those is Rule 5

"Rule 5

Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

If you crashed your boat into the side of a freighter while below in your sleeping bag, I would say it's pretty clear you were not meeting your obligations under the ColRegs.

Yes the freighter could have sounded 5 short blasts, yes they should have altered course, but before you worry too much about what they should have done, you could definitely do some work on what you should have done.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 05:44   #153
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I recently collided with a cargo ship. .
Sorry to hear. My wife and I understand how lucky we were in our collison
Old 17-01-2024, 05:45   #154

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
The ColRegs are pretty clear on a few things and one of those is Rule 5

"Rule 5

Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

If you crashed your boat into the side of a freighter while below in your sleeping bag, I would say it's pretty clear you were not meeting your obligations under the ColRegs.

Yes the freighter could have sounded 5 short blasts, yes they should have altered course, but before you worry too much about what they should have done, you could definitely do some work on what you should have done.
So you want to say the obvious what was already said in the post you quoted. That said 50/50 quilt on both vessels thou it doesn't matter..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 05:46   #155
CLOD

To those that are interested in starting a battle of the "The Rules"

[Kindly remain silent and] TAKE YOUR HIGH AND MIGHTY POSTING [material] AND [desist from posting it]!

[ Post redacted by moderation team ]
Old 17-01-2024, 05:48   #156

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
So you want to say the obvious what was already said in the post you quoted. That said 50/50 quilt on both vessels thou it doesn't matter..

Is it obvious? There seem to be a lot of examples of sailboats hitting other vessels on open water in this thread. The sailing vessels pretty consistently aren't using RADAR in these scenarios and don't have guard zones set. The rules do not require you to carry a RADAR, but they do require you to maintain an adequate look out and, bottom line, avoid a collision.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 06:23   #157

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
Is it obvious? There seem to be a lot of examples of sailboats hitting other vessels on open water in this thread. The sailing vessels pretty consistently aren't using RADAR in these scenarios and don't have guard zones set. The rules do not require you to carry a RADAR, but they do require you to maintain an adequate look out and, bottom line, avoid a collision.
======================

Post # 155 addresses your comments
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 08:18   #158
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
To those that are interested in starting a battle of the "The Rules"

[Kindly remain silent and] TAKE YOUR HIGH AND MIGHTY POSTING [material] AND [desist from posting it]!

[ Post redacted by moderation team ]
Definitely NOT what I posted!
Old 17-01-2024, 11:32   #159

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It happens. I couldn't find the full ATSB report, but I remember it includes segments from the ship's bridge voice recorder. There was plenty of blame on both side.

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia...?source=google
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 12:53   #160

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Definitely NOT what I posted!
Agreed. I thought your post was clear and to the point.
Old 17-01-2024, 13:20   #161

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Even a fishing boat who is intentionally running dark "should" have AIS receive. And unlike radar, AIS receive makes it super easy to set collision alarms that have zero false positives, and miss zero boats that are broadcasting.
I'm curious why a fishing vessel would run dark. What are the reasons?

Another poster mentioned waiting for a drug drop, I can also see dropping off or picking up persons illegally (illegals or wanted criminals).

IDK how common either of those situations are.

Do lights scare off the shrimp/fish? Always thought it was the opposite
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 13:57   #162

I for one think this thread is very valuable and kudos to Sailorboy1 for sharing his side of the story regarding the collision, anyone who goes cruising will gain very useful information that will help them avoid a similar incident. After making more than 20,000 posts on the forum he must have been aware that this discussion would eventually produce some sort of negative response and inevitably some mention of the rules that we all use every time we go cruising. I’m learning new things about marine insurance, I hope the insurer honors the terms of the policy, I’m currently rereading the fine print on mine.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 14:03   #163

Boat: Bristol 27

[ offtopic portion deleted by moderation team ]

As far as this whole thread, looks like SB1 is retired and headed for the Wannabe thread. Thankfully he and his wife are OK.

Sailing at night is tricky though. I missed seeing a cargo ship one night at 10:30 pm because of light pollution plus my jib was blocking his little red bow light.

I was coming into the Hampton Roads area with it's tons of lights from total darkness.

Thankfully the ship had a Pilot onboard who hailed me on the radio.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 14:05   #164
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I’m learning new things about marine insurance, I hope the insurer honors the terms of the policy, I’m currently rereading the fine print on mine.
You don't stand a just no matter how many times you read it. Mine asked about being a "full time liveaboard" and apparently it matters. But I did various word searches on the policy contract (the long one no reads and I had to ask for) and all that came up was about if pets were on the boat.
Old 17-01-2024, 14:33   #165

Boat: Tartan 3800

Moderation notice
Several posts were deleted or partially deleted because they were entirely unrelated to the topic at hand, and indeed, entirely unrelated to sailing.

Tags
collision, mast