Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 05:56   #31

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Check out the "Seaclipper 20 trimaran"! (Jim Brown and John Marples)... See Google & You Tube. It is perfect for this, and of a size & simplicity that building yourself makes sense... Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 06:50   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I've never ever had the desire to build a large 38+ foot cruiser from the hull up. But I have always enjoyed camping. My current boat is a bit impractical to take for a quick weekend camping trip. But for years I have always eyed the small boats in the link below. These boats I'd have no problem building. I'm sure most on this forum could easily build one as well. I always thought when I get to old and broke to keep the big one, that I'd really enjoy a little camper boat like these to putt around in the local waters an camp from.

The Stevenson Projects Pocket Yachts
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:32   #33

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
With the help of all this talk about camping I went and pitched tents with a mate and his family at Samurai Beach, Port Stephens NSW AUS. I thought I would share last nights sunset with you all; the surf was nearly as good! We cheated and took the 4WD, but next time depending on the swell I might be just as happy to anchor behind Big Rocky to the north and drop over and share a few waves and beers.

People have been running boats out to go camping at both the nearby Fingal and Broughton Islands for “years”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sam 003.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	19639  
Old 27-09-2010, 23:10   #34

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I've never ever had the desire to build a large 38+ foot cruiser from the hull up. But I have always enjoyed camping. My current boat is a bit impractical to take for a quick weekend camping trip. But for years I have always eyed the small boats in the link below. These boats I'd have no problem building. I'm sure most on this forum could easily build one as well. I always thought when I get to old and broke to keep the big one, that I'd really enjoy a little camper boat like these to putt around in the local waters an camp from.

The Stevenson Projects Pocket Yachts
My mind is willing but my flesh is week.

Unfortunately...I would be so stowed up from being in such a boat I couldn't walk for days.

Im afraid the older and broker I get the more palatial boat ill require....Life is backwards isn't it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 01:56   #35
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
We regularly take our beachcats out to the islands to camp - that's just good fun! We take one oven grill and a bag of charcoal, plus whoever wants tents (mainly for privacy) and sheets and bottles and food take their own! I'm glad you started this thread - it's reminded me I need to get on to arranging the next one.

Our yacht club also used to do an island rally once a year, and most used to camp on the beach, primarily because there was no-one sober and willing to taxi the tender... there was only one for the whole club! (No-one knows where it is now, tho!)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote