Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 10:16   #136

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Common Etiquette screw ups for novices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Because an anchor marker blocks out more space in the anchorage than is required for safe anchoring. It means anchored boats can't swing over your anchor, which means fewer boats can anchor safely in the same area. Hence the analogy to the car parking sideways, which takes up more space than is required, and blocks other from using the area.

An anchor marker is unnecessary, and also unsafe given the tangling risk the float poses to other passing boats, and indeed your own.
And tourists on a charter boat try to pick it up as a mooring ball.

I do have one question though. in another post you mentioned them swinging over your anchor.

That makes it hard to leave doesn't it?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:38   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Why , do you know that noise travels faster over water than an urban area, if my noise level is acceptable to me and my crew , and you do not like it. Why then do you have a right to say its not acceptable, where is the line being drawn , where is the noise meters , or is it that you have decided and that is it . There is no such thing as etiquette, it is a word used for those to Demand their standards over others , which reeks of indiscriminate bullying .
I Live with the view of when sailing or anything in life Is to be a considerate person to everyone's needs and wants not just your own petty hates
9 pages of so called moaning and etiquette shows how there is no rules , no written laws , no code of the round table , just be a decent fellow to all
And if some one is playing music outwith antisocial hours then so what,they have a right to do so . If you do not like it move on.
I have an extremely high tolerance to others needs and wants because I believe in the freedoms for all and do not waste my time energy. Soul, moaning and worrying about, generator noise, music, halyards slapping, anchoring techniques of my neighbours, or sit and gawk as my neighbours has troubles, instead I offer a friendly wave ask if they need help and go about my business.
If at any point I do feel uncomfortable at an an anchorage that is my personel issue and I WILL move on , I will not stare, call names to people , speak silly rumours or race over and whinge .
And if any one does that to me I will ignore, laugh, and in the worst and least response get angry ,
Move on and get a life
If one day you start your engine and put it in gear and nothing happens you will find the Prop has gone walkabout. It might be tied to your anchor with Monel safety wire. Some of us old Farts had lives back in the day that involved much underwater time and stuff.
Now
Get off my Lawn.
ktbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:49   #138

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
And tourists on a charter boat try to pick it up as a mooring ball.

I do have one question though. in another post you mentioned them swinging over your anchor.

That makes it hard to leave doesn't it?
Yes, good point, that's another problem; people mistaking your float for a mooring.

It's only an issue if the other boat is sitting right over your anchor, or rode. But if you think about a series of overlapping circles that represent a tight anchorage, it's only even theoretically a problem in a small part of the overlap.

In reality, it's never happened to me. But I have seen it being dealt with in busy anchorages. Again, it's easily managed with a little communication. Or you can just nudge the other boat out of the way with fenders, dinghy or boat hook. I've never seen it be much of an issue.

But floats in busy anchorages definitely are.
Old 23-01-2021, 12:36   #139

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Except I love the noise of a lightly slapping halyard, or the more the better, not meaning I allow mine to slap, I just like the noise of a group of sailboats.
Although my club now has to remove masts during hard standing due to this noise and people who want to be near the water but not near the boats ( I don’t hard stand my boat ) so doesn’t affect me.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 12:37   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well dammit! You are right on the year... couldn't remember which time in Papeete it was for us. It was actually a fellow named Toby from Iceland (in a tiny boat called Kria that he'd built himself) who dinghied over to the prat's boat while Ann and I tried to get our anchor free from his chain, and it was he who came back to us reporting the the conversation (!) We burst our Hyspeed manual windlass in the process of getting free, and I've harboured a grudge against the "unknown Frenchman" ever since

Ahh, the memories... I can't picture Toby any more, but his stunningly beautiful Nordic goddess wife Thora is still lurking in the dim halls. Did you ever meet them?

Thanks for prodding the nostalgia button, Mike!

Jim

Toby and Thora! I certainly do remember them. Lovely folks both.

Toby introduced us to the Icelandic Fish Telephone—the inboard end of your fishing line goes through the hole in the centre of an old telephone bell. A shackle is tied to the line inboard of the bell. The final metre or so of the line is bypassed by a short length of shock cord. When a fish comes on the hook, the increased drag stretches the shock cord, allowing the shackle to hit the bell, thus alerting the crew to the fact they've just caught lunch. It really does work! (The shock cord has the additional merit of eliminating shock loads on the line.)

We also had a manual windlass, a Simpson-Lawrence 555, IIRC. The effort required to retrieve an anchor in a deep anchorage damn near killed me on more than one occasion.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 13:39   #141

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I see halyard slapping as,a preventable noise, and try to secure mine, but some of the other noise doesn't bother me.

If someone else is playing rap at full volume anchored nearby, i just play music to my own liking just loud enough to driwn out theirs.

Being as their music had to travel hundreds of feet, while mine traveled 5 ft, it's unlikely anyone else will hear mine.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 02:27   #142

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Hi..welcome

Friend sailing couple who invite to their boat for a drink....only to found they were swingers (and much older than you and your wife)

Abe

Do you have a contact number?

er, so I can block it on my phone
Old 24-01-2021, 09:44   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Lol, some funny stuff here
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:09   #144

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
You clearly have no idea what it means to be a considerate person. You might want to check out that human emotional development chart I mentioned earlier. See where you fit.
Very manly and mature of you especially someone who has a lot to say on the forums and a so called respected member on here , yet you suddenly use child like comments rather than having a discussion, seems odd and I thought the canadians had better decorum and a more lasizefaire approach to life , but alas you have been sucked into the sad game of etiquette of your southern brothers .
If you have something intelligent to write please I look forward to sensible discussions from adults not child playground tactics
Much obliged
Edit , I have never hidden on here that I have Asperger or OPCD disorder, so the thought that you and your charts of human behaviour could not distinguish that in my writing style and attitude to life , which revolves around following laws and rules to the bain of my brain, therefore when some one mentions so called etiquette, which has no rules but a deranged group of sailors that make it up as they see fit or come on here preaching their so called rules and using silly statements about sabotaging boats , gets right up my arse , they are no laws they are your own fantasies .
Like I say I laugh at them and those that try and enforce them .
If you read up on aspergers and their traits you will find we are caring kind considerate and open , we see patterns differently but what we cannot stand is aloof fools making silly statements which have no basis in truth , or law or kindness
I live my life in those above , until I meet a spoon, who gets ignored, avoided , and as I said the last resort is to navigate them out of my personal space in a meaningful way .
Stop been an arse when sailing respect those around you get on with you life and give up the amateur physiatrist, god knows I ve seen enough to be a Professor in the art of bull
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:13   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbaker View Post
If one day you start your engine and put it in gear and nothing happens you will find the Prop has gone walkabout. It might be tied to your anchor with Monel safety wire. Some of us old Farts had lives back in the day that involved much underwater time and stuff.
Now
Get off my Lawn.
Good god get a life , I bet you burst the kids balls over your fence , thankfully we Scots have tolerance levels that seemed to have been eradicated as we colonised the globe
Old 24-01-2021, 10:39   #146

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
To the original poster - you are starting miles ahead of a lot of folks - because you are asking the question and have concern for your fellow sailors. Many of the etiquette 'rules' don't do a damn bit of good if people don't have that fundamental perspective of desiring to be considerate. Hats off to you for starting on the right foot - I hope I am at anchor (not too) near you some day!
A great comment!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:42   #147

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
...Edit , I have never hidden on here that I have Asperger or OPCD disorder, so the thought that you and your charts of human behaviour could not distinguish that in my writing style and attitude to life , which revolves around following laws and rules to the bain of my brain, therefore when some one mentions so called etiquette, which has no rules but a deranged group of sailors that make it up as they see fit or come on here preaching their so called rules and using silly statements about sabotaging boats , gets right up my arse , they are no laws they are your own fantasies .
I have a very close nephew with autism (asperger being part of the autism spectrum). He has challenges every day that I will never understand, but this doesn't give him an excuse for being rude or inconsiderate to others.

Of course, he is seven now, so quite mature.

You talk about how you are considerate, yet you describe your practices as anything but. I appreciate that your condition makes it harder for you to understand this, but it doesn't give you a free pass.
Old 24-01-2021, 10:53   #148

Quote:
I have a very close nephew with autism (asperger being part of the autism spectrum). He has challenges every day that I will never understand, but this doesn't give him an excuse for being rude or inconsiderate to others.

Of course, he is seven now, so quite mature.

You talk about how you are considerate, yet you describe your practices as anything but. I appreciate that your condition makes it harder for you to understand this, but it doesn't give you a free pass.
Again you make a fundamental mistake oh oracle no 2 people on the spectrum are the same nor do they compare to an adult or child , you fall into that sad trap of i know some one therefore I know .
The tragic thing is you insulted me again by assuming you nephew is more intelligent even though you are suppose to know how we talk and look upon the world , how about this my 10 year old has aspergers but is a girl and reacts different,
So please no more loose garland insults , you have no clue how an adult with asperger's acts and who has lived a different life may or may not react . Like I said keep you amateur diagonis to yourself,

I'm not racist I know a blackman

Im not male chauvinistic arse I'm married to a women

I'm not giving you a pass my nephew is autistic and he's seven

You get the point in my usual blunt speaking asoerger way
Here is something for all

Etiquette is a consideration of other people and your impact on them. And that might be by knowing certain codes of behavior, traditions, or expectations of other people and what matters to them. ... Etiquette shouldn't be used to judge you or make you feel less than—it's how people communicate today.”6 Nov 2019

The last sentence is pretty spot on, so why are you not following those as I do but I do not need to use the word etiquette to define my character this is done via actions , and have no issues from my past or present that haunt me for my conduct to my fellow human

Because you make it up as you go along .
Old 24-01-2021, 11:00   #149
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

By and large most boaters and kind and considerate. The oafs stand out.
Old 24-01-2021, 11:38   #150
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
By and large most boaters and kind and considerate. The oafs stand out.
but there are a LOT more oafs than expected

Tags
crew, novice