Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 07:38   #76

Re: Common Etiquette screw ups for novices

Leaving the OB up on the dinghy at the dinghy dock

Tying the dinghy with 6 inches of painter at the dinghy dock

Side tying the dinghy at the dinghy dock

Stern anchoring in the middle of a cluster of boats that are using bow anchors only.

Anchoring inside of someone's wing radius

12:1 scope in an anchorage when everyone else is running 5:1 - 7:1

Using anchor ball markers (This is honestly like parking sideways across multiple spaces in a parking lot).

Extremely loud music in the anchorage

Deck or spreader lights left on all night bathing the boats behind you like their parked under a street light.

Running a dinghy on plane through the anchorage

Leaving you crap on the dock (finger pier or main dock)

using a dock cart and not bringing it back to the head of the dock

docking in the middle of the gas dock, when there is room for multiple boats if you simply move forward or backwards.

Travelling up the middle of a channel (what we refer to as "taking your half from the middle).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 14:37   #77

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

An interesting conversation the "what to do with a line when helping dock". I help whenever I can and everyone is thankful but sometimes I can tell that's not what they wanted.

It seems people like something different. I held a line for a guy who was doing a great job and didn't need help so I did nothing other than tie off when he positioned the boat and he said he expected me to wrap the furtherest cleat and pull.

My boat is very skittish, I'd like someone to wrap on the closest next cleat, hold untill just before I passed it then wrap the next and so on. That way I can use it as a spring line to pull the boat against the dock.

What do most people want.
Old 21-01-2021, 15:18   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's very true Dave. What I try and do is be available to assist. I'm at the dock, ready to take a line or do as requested. When possible, I ask: "Would you like some help?"

Most boaters say yes. Some clearly say no. That's fine, either way. But being available means you can assist if needed.
Old 21-01-2021, 17:01   #79
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's very true Dave. What I try and do is be available to assist. I'm at the dock, ready to take a line or do as requested. When possible, I ask: "Would you like some help?"

Most boaters say yes. Some clearly say no. That's fine, either way. But being available means you can assist if needed.
I’ve come to find that those who absolutely insist on helping the most have no clue what they’re doing and generally you end up telling them ‘No, please stop now!’; Someone who simply stands there ready but not fully engaging they tend to be the ones you want to help should it arise, they’re there, ready but just observing until called upon to help.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 17:05   #80
rbk

Boat: T37

I’ll also add that when helping I never tie off someone’s dock lines. I will hold the boat and hand them over to the crew or captain when done. The odd time I’ll throw a quick hitch in but make it very clear that the line is not secure and that it should be secured by crew or captain.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:01   #81

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Using anchor ball markers (This is honestly like parking sideways across multiple spaces in a parking lot).
Curious about this one. Why so?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:38   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Curious about this one. Why so?
Because an anchor marker blocks out more space in the anchorage than is required for safe anchoring. It means anchored boats can't swing over your anchor, which means fewer boats can anchor safely in the same area. Hence the analogy to the car parking sideways, which takes up more space than is required, and blocks other from using the area.

An anchor marker is unnecessary, and also unsafe given the tangling risk the float poses to other passing boats, and indeed your own.
Old 22-01-2021, 06:42   #83

Boat: Cal 34

If you don't have Chapmans Piloting, get it. Read it.
Bayou Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:13   #84

I am sure others will chime in with a laundry list. Instead, I want to commend you for having the self awareness that there is so much you do not know and having the willingness to ask and learn. This awareness is huge and hard to teach. It will take you far. Seamanship is a life long study. Enjoy the journey!
Lisa Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:29   #85

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Speaking to docking help. I just recently (boats still there) parked my 38’ sail boat in a Florida marina. This particular Marina has no facilities or dock hands and I’m fine with that I needed a place to leave her for two weeks. However the place is beautiful and full of very expensive boats. My slip assignment was a port tie and to my starboard is a beautiful flag blue hull Krogen. The wind as you may have guessed by now was blowing me away from my port tie and into this boat. I’m alone if I had anyone else on board this would be a breeze (see what I did there!) but It’s all me. Now the dozen or so people working and mingling on nearby vessels had no way of knowing that I was alone when I arrived but after my fourth attempt you would think that someone anyone would offer to grab the bow line? Nope.

Now it’s not like I was flailing but rather it had to perfect so I had time to get off the boat and secure at least two lines. On the fourth try I pulled it off without drama but I did wonder if they where all secretly hoping I would actually bump into that boat? For the record everyone I met after this first impression have been exceedingly nice and I even offered some tools to one of them to finish a project. I don’t expect anyone to help and I don’t immediately jump up to help others but when I see someone who obviously handicapped by a situation I offer to help. In the defense of these people they’re all used to bow thrusters and twin screws.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:14   #86

Boat: Lagoon 450S

The O'Kelly's put together a great video on this topic. They captured most of what has been suggested in this thread, but it's fun to watch anyway.

https://youtu.be/c9cgczaqQPA
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:18   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Maybe start with your language....
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:32   #88

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSOLITAIRE View Post
I wonder how much of this is covid related, nobody wanting to interfere with others space. Also I can totally see being timid as a newcomer and A) not knowing B) being nervous to just jump right in.

Hopefully good seasoned sailors will set a good example and this won’t be a trend.
I did not have anyone rush over to help me dock when visiting any marinas this past year besides the few times I asked dockhands due to wind or current. Pretty normal now. Most "cruisers" I've met cant be bothered.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:40   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
I did not have anyone rush over to help me dock when visiting any marinas this past year besides the few times I asked dockhands due to wind or current. Pretty normal now. Most "cruisers" I've met cant be bothered.

This is so sad... Where do you cruise? This must be a regional thing. I've not been to a marina yet where people don't come out and help if they are around and available. But I admit, I don't visit many docks.
Old 22-01-2021, 08:46   #90

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is so sad... Where do you cruise? This must be a regional thing. I've not been to a marina yet where people don't come out and help if they are around and available. But I admit, I don't visit many docks.
East coast from South Florida up to Maryland. In Annapolis currently.

Maybe it is something to do with transients and locals not being as friendly since they don't know you. Who knows.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, novice