Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 08:52   #91

Re: Common Etiquette screw ups for novices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post

5 anchoring so close I can smell your head

9 people thinking they can swim well enough to warrant not wearing pfd/making stories about why they shouldn't

10 people who's parents financed their sailing careers.
These three aren't really etiquette issues. Anchoring close is simply a result of a crowded anchorage. PDF's are a personal choice. How people get their money or whether they are spending it wisely/unwisely is irrelevant an none of my business.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:04   #92

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
These three aren't really etiquette issues. Anchoring close is simply a result of a crowded anchorage. PDF's are a personal choice. How people get their money or whether they are spending it wisely/unwisely is irrelevant an none of my business.
Anchoring close enough I am within feet of your boat during slack tide or when the wind dies is definitely an etiquette issue. I shouldn't be able to smell you using your head at an anchorage.

PFDs are a personal choice, but when people complain and moan to me about not wearing one because they have some inhuman resistance to drowning, it becomes an etiquette issue. Even more so on my boat.

Most of the trust fund babies I've met out sailing were not in any position to offer advice on how I should run my boat, so that became an etiquette issue. Money doesn't buy sea time.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:22   #93

To the OP. I would say practice docking when you have the time. There is some online sites that duplicate docking in current and wind situations that allow you to practice - from the safety of your couch! Even experienced sailors can have difficulties in certain situations.

Also, learn about your engine and how to operate it properly. You can always ask the marina hands for advice. Don't forget to tip them if you utilize their services.
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:26   #94

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
Anchoring close enough I am within feet of your boat during slack tide or when the wind dies is definitely an etiquette issue. I shouldn't be able to smell you using your head at an anchorage.

PFDs are a personal choice, but when people complain and moan to me about not wearing one because they have some inhuman resistance to drowning, it becomes an etiquette issue. Even more so on my boat.

Most of the trust fund babies I've met out sailing were not in any position to offer advice on how I should run my boat, so that became an etiquette issue. Money doesn't buy sea time.
What a bag of horse manure , your a right happy soul perhaps it is time to let that etiquette misadventure your talking about , to float free and be gone.
Seems you are jealous that others saved for their kids, cannot skipper a boat well enough to insit all on your boat wear pfds and the sea bed and what smells in the air has no material, legal or etiquette rights for you to get stressed about. Oh I know your one of the old Salties telling us how it is rather than just getting on with your life and let others enjoy theirs
Oh rant over !!
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:30   #95

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
What a bag of horse manure , your a right happy soul perhaps it is time to let that etiquette misadventure your talking about , to float free and be gone.
Seems you are jealous that others saved for their kids, cannot skipper a boat well enough to insit all on your boat wear pfds and the sea bed and what smells in the air has no material, legal or etiquette rights for you to get stressed about. Oh I know your one of the old Salties telling us how it is rather than just getting on with your life and let others enjoy theirs
Oh rant over !!

If you only knew!
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:33   #96

Guests bringing their cellphone / mobile, spending the whole day with it in one hand and answering every call. Not like their partner is about to give birth or anything.

Just for once - leave the d*** thing at home!
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:41   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryD View Post
Guests bringing their cellphone / mobile, spending the whole day with it in one hand and answering every call. Not like their partner is about to give birth or anything.

Just for once - leave the d*** thing at home!
My standard comment to that is "Hey, how about talking with the people you're actually WITH??"

IMHO the phone/txt rings at the convenience of the caller. It is answered at the convenience of the recipient. If you keep interrupting our conversation for someone else's conversation......it won't take long until YOU are no longer the interruption.

Same applies to someone's head buried in social media, living vicariously through the carefully staged presentation of other people's lives. If what that person is doing is interesting......go do that something with them.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:18   #98

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Not if there are 70 boats in anchorage... [emoji15]
Oh year, just like Coral Bay in St John near the settlement. Be very careful about putting your foot in the water. Your face? No friggin' way.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:23   #99

To the original poster - you are starting miles ahead of a lot of folks - because you are asking the question and have concern for your fellow sailors. Many of the etiquette 'rules' don't do a damn bit of good if people don't have that fundamental perspective of desiring to be considerate. Hats off to you for starting on the right foot - I hope I am at anchor (not too) near you some day!
Old 22-01-2021, 11:30   #100

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Leaving your stinking trash on the dock in front of my boat expecting someone else to clean it up!!!
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:40   #101

Boat: Rafiki 37

There are endless examples and social rules, but I think it all boils down to appreciating that there are other people in this world than just you -- than just me.

If you can put yourself in other people's shoes, and fell how your behaviour might impact others, then congratulations! You've achieved the basic empathetic develop that most six year old's have. Sadly, there are some who never make it this far in their development.
Old 22-01-2021, 12:47   #102

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

My boat slip is opposite the fueling dock. I have to keep an eye out leaving and entering my slip for people leaving the fuel dock without looking. I pull in slowly, so its not like I just showed up a second ago.

Pulling into a marina on a creek with a 5.5 foot draft can be a problem when other motor boats think its okay to go 4 wide and push into a shallow area.
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:48   #103

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

Gin palaces...full stop.

Actually, running your engine before you leave (because you think marine engines are different to your car and need to be warmed up) with the acrid smoke billowing all over your neighbors down wind.

Anchoring so close to others you can smell their toast in the morning.

Anchoring close to a vessel that will swing differently to others in a blow.

Shining lights at other boats because you came in late and want the best spot instead of anchoring further out.

...need I go on?

Why not...passing close to other anchored vessels, even those displaying anchor balls at speed when you and them are the ONLY ones in the bay.

Now I know why NZ clamped down on firearms!!! Hahaha.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:05   #104

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It should be noted that quite apart from the safety of anchoring too close to another boat, for instance laying an anchor over the top of someone else's anchor or swinging into them, there is a simple etiquette issue. If you come into an anchorage and see one boat, or a small group of boats, do not assume that the best thing to do is to anchor close to them. Do your own homework (don't assume that they have the best solution) and choose your own location based on bottom conditions and depth, wind and waves, and try to stay a good distance from others where room allows. Too often a boat will come in to a large anchorage with just a single boat and drop the hook very near them; please don't do that. Give them their space and privacy - that is part of why they are there. If you are feeling neighborly then take the dinghy over and introduce yourself. Often anchoring close to a previous boat is a sign of lack of confidence in one's own anchoring skills, so not a good look.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:07   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Gin palaces...full stop.

Actually, running your engine before you leave (because you think marine engines are different to your car and need to be warmed up) with the acrid smoke billowing all over your neighbors down wind.
Assume you mean running it any more than absolutely necessary? I always thought that I have start my motor to use the windlass, right? It can take a few mins to spool up a large amount of rode.

Tags
crew, novice