Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 14:30   #106
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Common Etiquette screw ups for novices

Treat people as you wish to be treated. Tell people you're new at this and ask for advice or comments. You can always ignore it, but they'll love you for asking.

Not really on topic, and not that anyone will believe this, but last year some halfwits at the dock were shooting at wildlife with an air rifle.

I don't think etiquette-fail really applies though. To handle this required a full-on Curse by the God Pan...and...they lost their boat off Bermuda.

We shouldn't have to explain that this is really bad karma (and anyway cormorants and little terns are not edible. Who knew?)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:34   #107

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

I would heartily 2nd the points Jamme listed, and I would add that there are some seemingly small things that a guest can easily do that are greatly appreciated, especially: taking all their trash/recycling plus additional boat trash/recycling with them and the if they are visiting at a remote location allowing owner to ship small items which they can bring to the boat with them.
Old 22-01-2021, 14:39   #108

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The people who let their engines run for 20 minutes before doing anything are annoying. But IMO, the people who fire it up, give it 10 seconds and take off are being irresponsible.

For my boat, on a warm restart, I'll usually give my engines 30 seconds at high idle, then idle down and go. On a cold start, at anchor, they get 2 - 3 minutes at high idle, then idle down and start pulling up the anchor. At the dock, it's usually about 2 minutes at high idle while I unplug shore power, remove extra dock lines, etc. Once the temp gauges have started to move and I've got those tasks done, idle down, confirm good idle, then remove remaining dock lines and go.

It's worth making sure the thing will stay running and isn't going to stall when you put it in gear. But letting it run for more than a couple of minutes is a waste.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:50   #109

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Because an anchor marker blocks out more space in the anchorage than is required for safe anchoring. It means anchored boats can't swing over your anchor, which means fewer boats can anchor safely in the same area. Hence the analogy to the car parking sideways, which takes up more space than is required, and blocks other from using the area.

An anchor marker is unnecessary, and also unsafe given the tangling risk the float poses to other passing boats, and indeed your own.
ok.

I've never had it happen to me but in an anchorage where I've got my 7:1 out lets say, and the wind has shifted, I'm no longer pointed at my anchor.

Now someone anchors such that their rode crosses mine, and I want to leave.

What happens when I attempt to weigh my anchor?

Are there any situations where anchor marker floats help?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:52   #110

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Assume you mean running it any more than absolutely necessary? I always thought that I have start my motor to use the windlass, right? It can take a few mins to spool up a large amount of rode.
We are the same, our winch takes 120 amps so we need to float charge the forward battery (and others on board) so we don't over heat the alternator, which has happened. I am talking this ridiculous need to "lubricate and warm up" a engine. Even turbo charged diesels are ready to go in less than a minute, the quicker you can heat up an engine, the less wear and the best way to do that is in gear, prop running. They have a thermostat which is supposed to speed up that process..and in most cases does. What is an annoyance is this common (you will see it in marinas) belief that your engine requires frequent running and / or idling to keep it happy. IT DOESNT. Start the thing when ready to go or haul anchor . A even petrol (sorry..gasoline) engines could sit for years without running and no damage, start and run....go.
It's not hard to spot those who have for some strange reason, thought idling an engine for a while is a good idea....The blue smoke is a dead giveaway and if you are unfortunatly down wind of one...you dont have to guess the rest.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:56   #111

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
We are the same, our winch takes 120 amps so we need to float charge the forward battery (and others on board) so we don't over heat the alternator, which has happened. I am talking this ridiculous need to "lubricate and warm up" a engine. Even turbo charged diesels are ready to go in less than a minute, the quicker you can heat up an engine, the less wear and the best way to do that is in gear, prop running. They have a thermostat which is supposed to speed up that process..and in most cases does. What is an annoyance is this common (you will see it in marinas) belief that your engine requires frequent running and / or idling to keep it happy. IT DOESNT. Start the thing when ready to go or haul anchor . A even petrol (sorry..gasoline) engines could sit for years without running and no damage, start and run....go.
It's not hard to spot those who have for some strange reason, thought idling an engine for a while is a good idea....The blue smoke is a dead giveaway and if you are unfortunatly down wind of one...you dont have to guess the rest.
Understand and agree!
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:58   #112

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
ok.

I've never had it happen to me but in an anchorage where I've got my 7:1 out lets say, and the wind has shifted, I'm no longer pointed at my anchor.

Oh No!!! This could turn into an anchor thread
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:59   #113

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
ok.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about not pointing at your anchor. You're always hanging down-wind or down current of your anchor (except in very weird wind/current mixes).

But I get the concern... It can happen that rodes can be laid out overlapped. This can be a problem, but one easily solved with a little cooperation. There are also tools that can be used to lift overlaying anchor chains.

But this is a very rare event. It has never happened to me, in my two decades of anchoring. Granted, I'm mostly in more remote areas, but I did spend a number of years in busier places (North Channel, 1000 Islands). Never an issue.

The only time an anchor float makes sense is when you've had to deploy a trip line. This is only in anchorages where you have a strong suspicion that your anchor could be fouled by debris. These anchorages tend to be lightly visited, so it's not a problem.
Old 22-01-2021, 15:02   #114

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
What is an annoyance is this common (you will see it in marinas) belief that your engine requires frequent running and / or idling to keep it happy. IT DOESNT. Start the thing when ready to go or haul anchor . A even petrol (sorry..gasoline) engines could sit for years without running and no damage
Indeed. Starting it and not getting it to operating temp and keeping it there for 20 mins to boil out all the water is worse than letting it sit. Plus ofc the build up of acids in the oil, and coking from all that no-load operation.

But I'd challenge you on the "years". Week sure, months maybe, but corrosion starts pretty darn quickly and even the most viscous of engine oils won't keep it off your cylinder walls, cam lobes etc for years. You need to properly pickle the engine and put dehydrator plugs in it for that.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:02   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Assume you mean running it any more than absolutely necessary? I always thought that I have start my motor to use the windlass, right? It can take a few mins to spool up a large amount of rode.
Another reason I like my manual windlass .

... now here's fightin' words! Forget the anchor battles, lets talk manual vs electric windlasses .
Old 22-01-2021, 15:02   #116

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
My boat slip is opposite the fueling dock. I have to keep an eye out leaving and entering my slip for people leaving the fuel dock without looking. I pull in slowly, so its not like I just showed up a second ago.

Pulling into a marina on a creek with a 5.5 foot draft can be a problem when other motor boats think its okay to go 4 wide and push into a shallow area.
No point raising a day shape either..." hey kids, look at that crazy man pointing to a black barrel in his rigging and yelling at us.." In 2 years of anchoring in Northland we have only seen two other vessels displaying a anchor ball....as for those anchored with no lights at all in the pitch black...don't get me started!!.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:13   #117

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Wow: 235€++ per night for a slip !
Old 22-01-2021, 15:44   #118

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
I did not have anyone rush over to help me dock when visiting any marinas this past year besides the few times I asked dockhands due to wind or current. Pretty normal now. Most "cruisers" I've met cant be bothered.
Due to Covid, our marina in Rhode Island, sent out a notice discouraging helping others with docking. There was also not supposed to be any gathering on the docks either but that didn't stop the power boaters from partying (maskless) and blasting their music well past the 10 pm curfew
S-V SAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:51   #119

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about not pointing at your anchor. You're always hanging down-wind or down current of your anchor (except in very weird wind/current mixes).
Happens to us all the time (pointing in a different direction than to where our anchor is located).

Well-protected wind-free anchorages here in BC....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 19:18   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Happens to us all the time (pointing in a different direction than to where our anchor is located).

Well-protected wind-free anchorages here in BC....

Yes, in no wind or current, but as I quoted, flightlead404 said the wind shifted, so I assume that means there's still wind.

Tags
crew, novice