Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 19:45   #121

Re: Common Etiquette screw ups for novices

Faux pas? There are plenty of them.
When tied up at a dock alongside another yacht, go ashore via his foredeck, NOT though his cockpit.
Don't play ANY music loud enough to be heard on any other boat.
And don't be like the arrogant prat in Tahiti who refused to help, saying "Certainly not, Monsieur, you have dropped your anchor under mine, you can sort it out yourself."
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 20:34   #122

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burch View Post
Faux pas? There are plenty of them.
When tied up at a dock alongside another yacht, go ashore via his foredeck, NOT though his cockpit.
Don't play ANY music loud enough to be heard on any other boat.
And don't be like the arrogant prat in Tahiti who refused to help, saying "Certainly not, Monsieur, you have dropped your anchor under mine, you can sort it out yourself."
Gawd, Mike, what a memory! That was us that encountered that prat... back in 1990! I'll never forget it either!

Jim
Old 23-01-2021, 00:08   #123

Er, 1987, actually! I'd forgotten it was you two who told us that they had just had that encounter. I have had many a chuckle about it ever since—that someone could be so utterly barefaced about such an obvious impossibility still baffles me.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 01:39   #124

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burch View Post
Er, 1987, actually! I'd forgotten it was you two who told us that they had just had that encounter. I have had many a chuckle about it ever since—that someone could be so utterly barefaced about such an obvious impossibility still baffles me.
Well dammit! You are right on the year... couldn't remember which time in Papeete it was for us. It was actually a fellow named Toby from Iceland (in a tiny boat called Kria that he'd built himself) who dinghied over to the prat's boat while Ann and I tried to get our anchor free from his chain, and it was he who came back to us reporting the the conversation (!) We burst our Hyspeed manual windlass in the process of getting free, and I've harboured a grudge against the "unknown Frenchman" ever since

Ahh, the memories... I can't picture Toby any more, but his stunningly beautiful Nordic goddess wife Thora is still lurking in the dim halls. Did you ever meet them?

Thanks for prodding the nostalgia button, Mike!

Jim
Old 23-01-2021, 06:11   #125

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Another reason I like my manual windlass .

... now here's fightin' words! Forget the anchor battles, lets talk manual vs electric windlasses .
I think most electric windlasses can be used manually - I know mine can, and I frequently shorten in manually - coincidentally to save running the main just for that purpose.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 06:19   #126

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-V SAGA View Post
Due to Covid, our marina in Rhode Island, sent out a notice discouraging helping others with docking. There was also not supposed to be any gathering on the docks either but that didn't stop the power boaters from partying (maskless) and blasting their music well past the 10 pm curfew
I understand the covid issue 100%. Definitely saw quite a few crowds at/around some docks too. Not sure what to think of some of it.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 06:22   #127

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I think most electric windlasses can be used manually - I know mine can, and I frequently shorten in manually - coincidentally to save running the main just for that purpose.
Most claim they can, few are functional. There are a couple of models that are good in manual, but most are manual in theory only.
Old 23-01-2021, 06:56   #128

Boat: Bristol 41.1

The only thing that bothers me with nubes on my boat is when they do something that they were told not to do. Like flush a paper towel. Otherwise if they do something wrong I figure it's my fault because I failed to educate them.
Brezent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 07:14   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezent View Post
The only thing that bothers me with nubes on my boat is when they do something that they were told not to do. Like flush a paper towel. Otherwise if they do something wrong I figure it's my fault because I failed to educate them.
You have a good attitude.

I would be upset if someone flushed paper towel at my house, never mind on the boat!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 07:33   #130

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Most claim they can, few are functional. There are a couple of models that are good in manual, but most are manual in theory only.

Agreed. The manual backup on my windlass would basically be a last resort when you reach the point where hand hauling requires more than available strength. Vertical windlasses are usually a little more serviceable in manual mode though.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:10   #131

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
I finally had the "joy" of using our Lewmar "manual recovery kit" on our V3 windlass. Windlass had died. Kit requires removing rope drum (easy). Then a good winch handle to winch it up. OF COURSE we had 225' of chain out (had expected high winds). It was very hard work. By the time I got to the final 50', I was sweating profusely.

For a couple nights after, before I repaired windlass, we anchored with our secondary rope rode, bringing it up using winch on mast (and a chain hook for final 30'). SO much easier than using the manual recovery kit and all chain.

It worked, but wasn't easy.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:49   #132

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
...But overall just be a kind considerate person will see you through. And if my music bothers you, tough titty boo.
If you want solitude do not anchor in popular bays and then moan.
Are you serious with this? I ask only because I can't imagine that it's possible to miss the contradiction (hypocrisy?) in the 2 points.
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:33   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I finally had the "joy" of using our Lewmar "manual recovery kit" on our V3 windlass. Windlass had died. Kit requires removing rope drum (easy). Then a good winch handle to winch it up. OF COURSE we had 225' of chain out (had expected high winds). It was very hard work. By the time I got to the final 50', I was sweating profusely.

For a couple nights after, before I repaired windlass, we anchored with our secondary rope rode, bringing it up using winch on mast (and a chain hook for final 30'). SO much easier than using the manual recovery kit and all chain.

It worked, but wasn't easy.
Thanks for sharing this Pelagia. It's important for other electric windlass owners to read. Most electrics claim to be operational in manual mode, but very few are truly functional.

Glad you got yours fixed .
Old 23-01-2021, 09:33   #134

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post
Are you serious with this? I ask only because I can't imagine that it's possible to miss the contradiction (hypocrisy?) in the 2 points.
Why , do you know that noise travels faster over water than an urban area, if my noise level is acceptable to me and my crew , and you do not like it. Why then do you have a right to say its not acceptable, where is the line being drawn , where is the noise meters , or is it that you have decided and that is it . There is no such thing as etiquette, it is a word used for those to Demand their standards over others , which reeks of indiscriminate bullying .
I Live with the view of when sailing or anything in life Is to be a considerate person to everyone's needs and wants not just your own petty hates
9 pages of so called moaning and etiquette shows how there is no rules , no written laws , no code of the round table , just be a decent fellow to all
And if some one is playing music outwith antisocial hours then so what,they have a right to do so . If you do not like it move on.
I have an extremely high tolerance to others needs and wants because I believe in the freedoms for all and do not waste my time energy. Soul, moaning and worrying about, generator noise, music, halyards slapping, anchoring techniques of my neighbours, or sit and gawk as my neighbours has troubles, instead I offer a friendly wave ask if they need help and go about my business.
If at any point I do feel uncomfortable at an an anchorage that is my personel issue and I WILL move on , I will not stare, call names to people , speak silly rumours or race over and whinge .
And if any one does that to me I will ignore, laugh, and in the worst and least response get angry ,
Move on and get a life
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:39   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Why , do you know that noise travels faster over water than an urban area, if my noise level is acceptable to me and my crew , and you do not like it. Why then do you have a right to say its not acceptable, where is the line being drawn , where is the noise meters , or is it that you have decided and that is it . There is no such thing as etiquette, it is a word used for those to Demand their standards over others , which reeks of indiscriminate bullying ...

(Blah, blah, blah).
You clearly have no idea what it means to be a considerate person. You might want to check out that human emotional development chart I mentioned earlier. See where you fit.

Tags
crew, novice