Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2024, 05:00   #16

Re: Compact roll-up dinghy????

IRENE - how long does it take you to inflate and then deflate/stow the 230? 7'7" seems pretty small - would you stick with it or go with the 260 at 8'6"? Finally, Ann makes a good point about a shallow floor due to inflatable floor/keel. Thoughts?

Thanks all for the suggestions.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 05:26   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Finally, Ann makes a good point about a shallow floor due to inflatable floor/keel. Thoughts?
One slight advantage of the inflatable floor is that the dinghy may still be somewhat usable even if/when one of the main tubes gets deflated.
Old 29-02-2024, 08:10   #18

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Have owned the Achilles LT-2 for the last 10 years. Check it out.

https://achillesboats.com/boatmodels/dinghies/lt/

With the 13 inch tubes it works well for us. We power it with a 2.5 hp 2 cycle Yamaha. Is a great system and has transported 4 adults in calm water. Way better boat than the 40 year old Avon we retired.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 09:06   #19

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
IRENE - how long does it take you to inflate and then deflate/stow the 230? 7'7" seems pretty small - would you stick with it or go with the 260 at 8'6"? Finally, Ann makes a good point about a shallow floor due to inflatable floor/keel. Thoughts?

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Peter,

Its probably a 20-30 minute evolution to manually inflate and launch. Once inflated, mounting the motor and dinghy wheels takes about 10 minutes. The motor and wheels go on and off much more frequently than we deflate it. If we are going to be in a marina for more than a couple of days, we will deflate it.

I agree with Ann. The inflatable floor reduces the depth of the boat, which is already small as the tube diameter is small. Its easy to get wet and there is not much room for gear.

Our desire was light weight - it is easy to row, move around on the beach or big boat, and nearly silent with the Torqeedo. Fortunately we have an AB 9.5 with large tubes, a deep-V hull, and a 20hp motor for when the mission dictates.

I was looking at the next size up too, this one is SMALL. Our desires here were light weight and ease of use over comfort, so we stayed with small…and there is virtually no overlap in mission with the “big” dinghy (big tubes, dry, space, proper seats, depth sounder, lockable storage, etc.).

Because it is so handy, we find ourselves using the little boat more than 90% of the time. In the last 12 weeks we have been on the hook 8 weeks. The AB was used only once when we explored Bahia San Quintin in December.

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 09:28   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Your best bet is a slat floored dinghy like this, around 7ft long and rolls up with slats still in.

https://www.svb24.com/en/seatec-marl...lue-white.html
I've had an English MDM Wetline 265 rollup for nearly 15 years. It's very similar to the model recommended by Boatie but with a solid stern board to mount engine, wooden slate floor and single thwart all in polished varnish. Rolls up nicely and then fits in a well constructed bag along with pump and spares. It's been a wonderful work horse. I bought it second hand and it predates the discontinuance of hypalon manufacture.

But I've mostly kept it out of the sun and inflated. I've treated as the expensive buy it was.

I'd recommend all dinghies have wheels to avoid the wear and tear caused by dragging over concrete, rock and even sand. Roll ups require you remove/fit wheels for rolling up.

It is a mission to both inflate and deflate. It's hard work to pump it up, and it's even more time consuming getting the air out. And be warned, they're heavy. I don't see that as being practical to do between anchorages.
Old 29-02-2024, 12:37   #21

Boat: Catalina 42

On the topic of inflation time, we have a Highfield 250 KAM powered by a Torqeedo that we inflate and deflate weekly. I'm way too lazy to do that manually, so we purchased a Scoprega GE BTP-2 electric pump and a 9A sealed lead acid battery to power it. Total setup, excluding mounting the motor, is about 10 minutes and that includes getting all the "stuff" from the lazarette, which is done while the pump is doing it's thing.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:33   #22

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Myself and my 7’ Fatty Knees got run over by a catamaran so we had to find a boat reasonably priced and easy to stow. We got the Achilles 9’ with inflatable floor. We are very happy with the boat. Stows easily and is lightweight at 70lbs. The inflatable floor is much nicer than we imagined. Easy on the knees and stiff enough to not be awkward.
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:37   #23

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasman View Post
I don't know your location but I have an Avon Redstart with the foot pump, outboard bracket, oars and storage bag in mint condition for sale for $350. in Rhode Island.
I doubt there is a better choice than an old Avon. I sold my Honwave to buy one.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:53   #24

Boat: Lagoon 420

3D Tenders - no one seems to have mentioned: I think the lightest inflatables on the (global) market? Absolutely wonderful - would never leave shore without one!!! My model here is a TwinAir200(2metres) I keep on my boat in Wales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnSlip1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	287242   Click image for larger version

Name:	InBag.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	287243  

MorwrMeic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:22   #25

We decided on the True Kit catamaran style dinghy for the reasons you list. It rolls up with no rigid floor to deal with but motor and rows efficiently, unlike a flat bottom monohull dinghy. It is made better than TakaCat. It rolls up into two bags and fits on deck. It rows pretty well and works very fast on the electric outboard.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:07   #26

I have/use a 2001 Avon 2.8 Rover hypalon slat floor roll-up. I single hand and as I get older it hets heavier. Its not just the 78lbs, it is also how awkward and unwieldy it is once rolled—up. However, its 23-year- old “self” it still holding air a going strong. Albeit the rub rail is beginning to detach in places. When that finally happens, I and getting Highfield ultralight and going to the gym to workout a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1834.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	287251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1830.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	287252  

Name:	IMG_6623.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	287253  
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:19   #27

I like the Truekit a lot. The Takacat does have pieces who can be lost easily.

In the past I found inflatable keels/inflatable floors to be really worth it since they track really well.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:31   #28

My old Avon Rover slat floor roll-up also has an inflatable keel and surprisingly rows pretty well.
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 14:31   #29

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Best inflatable boat: 9 compact tenders put to the test https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/best-infl...s-tested-68704

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 111410.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	287262  
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 15:55   #30

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I've had good results with the Achilles LSI-290E airflow with a Mercury 3.3 2 stroke. Rows pretty well cruised for years, planes with 2 plus diving gear. I replace the seat with a cooler wedged in between the tube for dry storage of pump, anchor, groceries, etc. My first Achilles lasted mant years of heavy use. Now have a LSI-260 E for my smaller boat.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy