Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2024, 04:05   #1

Compact roll-up dinghy????

Looking for a small roll-up dinghy that's easily inflated and deflated for use between anchorage and shore for two adults. I have a 3.5 hp Merc already. Suggestions? The TrueKit/Takacats look interesting but with multiple pieces, don't appear easily assembled on a cramped deck. Achilles makes a couple small roll-ups that I'm inclined to chose, especially given they are Hypalon vs PVC. What are others using?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I already carry a AB AL 310 with 20hp. Looking for something smaller, easier to launch/retrieve, and less of a theft target in remote areas of Central America
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 05:36   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Compact roll-up dinghy????

In addition to the roll-up options out there, what about something like a Portabote? If you can find somewhere to stick it when it's folded up to its surfboard-like state that would give you a potentially more durable option that's still too ugly to steal and works with a small outboard.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 05:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1981 Sea Sprite 34 Sold, now living ashore. Bristol 27

I don't know your location but I have an Avon Redstart with the foot pump, outboard bracket, oars and storage bag in mint condition for sale for $350. in Rhode Island.
canvasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 07:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We tried both the Avon Redstart and Redcrest and found it very unstable even after I made floor boards to fit. It was also wet in even a small chop. This is in comparison to a 2.65m slatted dinghy.

We did try a Crewsaver 2.4m dinghy which was light, rolled up small and again wet. However, it was easy to launch. Sadly the bag has buckles that are not stainless and started marking the deck in 4 week. After 12 months in the sun, the webbing strap carrying handles had rotted and after 18 months the carrying case tore and it went in the bin.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear...e-dinghy-82185

We are now trying an Avon 2.8m hypalon dinghy. Not made anymore thanks to Zodiac buying the company and ceasing production. So refitted a second hand one. Its not that much heavier, but very bulky making carrying difficult, therefore, I have removed the plastic rubbing strip and will replace this with a single piece of hypalon.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	374768941_2491924180965175_5216699545504037190_n (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	286915  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 12:14   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, mvweebles,

Here's a link where folks are discussing non RIB dinghies: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...bs-283448.html

We've had a few friends with PortaBotes, and they like them. I prefer the RIB, myself, especially for skin diving, but I don't think you'd have to anticipate a theft problem with the PB, and you might find it satisfactory, if you have enough deck space for it, somewhere.

Ann
Old 27-02-2024, 17:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In addition to the roll-up options out there, what about something like a Portabote? If you can find somewhere to stick it when it's folded up to its surfboard-like state that would give you a potentially more durable option that's still too ugly to steal and works with a small outboard.
I briefly considered a portaboat but was looking for something that stores more compactly for the long times I don't need it.

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 19:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasman View Post
I don't know your location but I have an Avon Redstart with the foot pump, outboard bracket, oars and storage bag in mint condition for sale for $350. in Rhode Island.
Could you pm pics and dimensions?
Im in Boston so could stop by to see.
Tnx.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 19:43   #8

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

We have a Highfield 250KAM, air floor, roll-up, 8'2", 71 lbs. It comes either PVC or hypalon. It folds up pretty compact, but not sure it meets your definition of small.

We had a Mercury 200 Air Floor - 6'7" - for a couple of years. I thought it was fine, and I especially liked that it was only 35 pounds, so I could handle it myself. My husband did nothing but complain about it, though. Said it was like rowing an inner tube. It certainly wouldn't work for large people.

Both of these dinghies are quick to inflate and deflate.
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 20:34   #9

Boat: Grampian 30

Would something like this suit your needs?

Name:	Rocky Shore.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	286945

I use the waterproof pack it stores in as a dinghy bag. Paddles surprisingly well into a stiff breeze and light chop. Have never tried it in truly exposed water or swell, but people use them as whitewater boats so they are certainly capable. Inflated and ready to go in about 5 minutes using a two way hand pump. When storing you can leave the seats attached and just deflate and roll it up. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you can do it on deck easily enough and it goes back in the stow bag until next time. I will sometimes strap it on the foredeck, sometimes put it below, depending on expected next use.

I think mine is the Vagabond version sold in the US/Canada. There is a Palava version that looks identical and is available to the European market. There also many other great inflatable canoes and kayaks out there so if this wouldn't work for you maybe something else will.

https://kayakcreek.com/collections/i...e-vag-0000-037

https://gumotexboats.com/product/palava/
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 06:12   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We had a couple of small Innova inflatable kayaks onboard for our kids to use when we went down to South America and back. An adult could paddle one too if you were careful. Paddled surprisingly well, and the material held up great but eventually (after 10 years or so) the glued seams began to give out, which seems to be the Achilles heel of all hypalon inflatables. The same thing happened to our Achilles dink with the aluminum roll-up floorboards. Still, ten years of hard use is not bad. The Achilles with the aluminum rollup floorboards is pretty heavy if you leave the boards in when rolling, and if you take them out the whole process of putting back together becomes awkward to do on deck. I think I would go for an air floor inflatable if I were to go for portability.
Old 28-02-2024, 10:14   #11

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Looking for a small roll-up dinghy that's easily inflated and deflated for use between anchorage and shore for two adults. I have a 3.5 hp Merc already. Suggestions? The TrueKit/Takacats look interesting but with multiple pieces, don't appear easily assembled on a cramped deck. Achilles makes a couple small roll-ups that I'm inclined to chose, especially given they are Hypalon vs PVC. What are others using?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I already carry a AB AL 310 with 20hp. Looking for something smaller, easier to launch/retrieve, and less of a theft target in remote areas of Central America
Have you considered the F-Rib 275 ? It’s their smallest version - I believe 3 person. It’s a folding/disarticulating rigid bottom inflatable. Supposedly only takes 5 minutes to unfold, articulate and inflate, then performs as good as any rigid bottom dinghy.
Here’s a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/8zM0uzpzB6w?si=v7EqumdXUY6DIxSK
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 10:24   #12

Hard to beat Achilles. Do they make 2 with slats.

Older slat floor Avon are good quality. No air floor to have issues. Friends used one as their main dingy all the way to New Zealand. I think it was vinyl slats. Rolled up pretty compact. They had a mid cockpit 44 footer and stored in on the back deck offshore.

Achilles LS4RU
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ls4ru_lg.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	286960  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 10:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Compact roll-up dinghy????

Your best bet is a slat floored dinghy like this, around 7ft long and rolls up with slats still in.

https://www.svb24.com/en/seatec-marl...lue-white.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_2021-03-09_08-39-38_53a4ee61366b0229277504bfa41b0e65.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	286958  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 11:07   #14

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

Hi Peter,

We are running an Achilles LSI-230E for the purposes you mention. We use a Torqeedo and Davis dinghy wheels with it as needed. It mostly lives on the swim platform, and it is so easy to use that we rarely use the “big” 9.5/20hp/eurohelm dink. The big advantage to the little Achilles for us is that we have another exercise vehicle (rowing) aboard.

Good Luck
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 11:43   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Peter,

We did have an old Zodiac with an air floor, for a short while after our RIB was stolen. I didn't like the lack of depth in the dinghy caused by it. (Sitting on the tube, but having to ride with legs extended.) Also, the air floors are very vulnerable to petrol (gasoline) spills.

Ann

Tags
dinghy