Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 08:23   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Composting Head: Plus or Minus on resale

I think composting heads are wonderful, but we would NOT buy your boat. We would not even come look at it if we knew it had a composting head.

My wife has talked with enough women who live/cruise on boats with composting heads (and hate them) that she is determined we are not going to get one at their current technology. Not sure, but I think it has something to do with living around rotting poop.

I know when to push for something, and when not.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17   #17

Boat: Dufour Arpege

Composting head would be an absolute plus for me. I just scrapped my storage tank and head for a new C-Head, and will never go back to the mechanical contraption. Composting head doesn't plug up and break down. Simple, simple, simple.
jag39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Faced with another rebuild of our head as well as needing a new holding tank & hoses the C-Head was a simple choice. I've left the through hulls & seacocks in case a future owner wants to change back but we never will.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

My boat came with a port a potty. THAT is a net negative if you ask me! I now have a composting head and am happy with it.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49   #20

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I'm in the process of building one right now. I'm at the beginning of the month or so long shitty test phase of the custom drum that I built. I did some work for friends on a big house boat, they had and extra Sun Mar excel they gave to me for my work, and also an extra top for one with the name plate on it. The excel is too big for the heads in my boat, a 45ft ketch, so I am making a slightly smaller version, using a 14.5 inch diameter drum instead of 19 inch. I'll use the extra top slightly modified so it will look and work just like the excel but have slightly smaller capacity. Sun Mar makes smaller composters, but they wouldn't fit much better, the sloping hull at the back is the problem that I am designing around. It's not really too big, the standard excel shape just doesn't fit well. I figure emptying a bucket full of garden soil once or twice a month is much easier then finding a place to pump out a tank. Plus there is much less chance of something going wrong and you get much more space below the floor for storage or another water tank">fresh water tank It's a win, win, win. (I can't understand why I can't edit the fresh water tank, I tried three time, it keeps getting worse, I can add this)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54   #21

I don't see how a head will determine the perschase of a boat. You find the boat of your dream in perfect condition for the right price. Oh No it has composite head. RUN RUN.
It's awfull!! You like it you keep you don't you sell it and buy two conventional heads. Do what ever makes you happy.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:03   #22

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

If I was buying a light weight trailer sailor for short cruises on inland waters, I might consider a good composting head to be a positive.

If I was looking at an ocean cruising boat, I'd consider it a negative. I much prefer to simply open a seacock to discharge waste than haul it up and pitch it overboard manually. (Whether partially composted or not) Also, while many fuel docks don't offer pump outs, even fewer accept partially composted head waste.

Either way, I figure it's unlikely the existing head condition will function as I wish and I'll probably be upgrading the system, so it's not likely to have a huge impact on my purchasing decision.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
I don't see how a head will determine the perschase of a boat. You find the boat of your dream in perfect condition for the right price. Oh No it has composite head. RUN RUN.
It's awfull!! You like it you keep you don't you sell it and buy two conventional heads. Do what ever makes you happy.
It's difficult to go back after the previous owner ditched the holding tanks etc. It would be much simpler to buy a boat with marine heads installed.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:29   #24

I can't see many people passing on a boat because it has the normal traditional flush type head. I can see a great many people passing on a composting head because they may be unfamiliar with them and/or don't want to deal with crap buckets and piss tanks.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Composting heads are fantastic (I have one and would never switch to a traditional marine head) but I can see it being a negative on selling price - people who don't have them seem to hate them (see above thread for examples)

If you are going to sell soon, leave it as it is.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:42   #26

I guess I over looked different design and layouts of other boats. My boat came with no holding tanks. When I installed
Them I placed them in a place were it was easy to service or replace them. I assumed all holding tank had easy access.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:55   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

Had dinner with a liveaboard neighbour last night. He is quite happy with his composting head. His relatively new purchase came with two heads. One traditional and one composting. It was not a purchase issue. Sails, dive compressor, electronics, etc were far more important.

I've only heard good stories about composting heads in the last few years. Maybe a dozen examples. Both require preventative maintenance. Corrective maintenance is probably less for a composting head.

Suspect they'll become commonplace for cruisers. The high end charter market probably expects pushbutton and someone else can deal with it after the charter is over.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
I think composting heads are wonderful, but we would NOT buy your boat. We would not even come look at it if we knew it had a composting head.

My wife has talked with enough women who live/cruise on boats with composting heads (and hate them) that she is determined we are not going to get one at their current technology. Not sure, but I think it has something to do with living around rotting poop.

I know when to push for something, and when not.
How about living with liquidized rotting poop? I guess the girls think that is OK, especially when it's time to change a leaking hose. Women!
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
How about living with liquidized rotting poop? I guess the girls think that is OK, especially when it's time to change a leaking hose. Women!
My thoughts exactly. A bucket of dirt is disgusting but 50 gallons of raw sewage sloshing about is a beautiful thing.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:09   #30

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

Our Brewer 12.8 had two conventional heads when we bought her we replaced one with an Airhead composting toilet and we loved it. It saved our bacon on one cruise to the Bahamas when the remaining conventional head and hoses completely plugged up with salt, etc. had we kept the boat I would have replaced the remaining conventional head.

I'd not remove the holding tank if I were you. The solid part of the Airhead only needs emptying every 60 uses. The urine portion, however, needs emptying every two or three days. Geoff at Airhead installed a hose nipple in the urine tank, I installed a manual foot pump, and I pumped the urine into the old holding tank which rarely needed pumping.

We never had to go to a pump out station and we were completely legal.
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting, sale