Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 15:01   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Container Ships

Container Ships are so big they tend to freak me out a bit when I get too close to them.............

I was heaved too waiting for this guy to cross in front of me but wasn't doing that great a job since I was still moving toward the channel at 1.9 knots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02134.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	153561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02135.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	153562  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02136.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	153563  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:09   #2

Re: Container Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Container Ships are so big they tend to freak me out a bit when I get too close to them.............

I was heaved too waiting for this guy to cross in front of me but wasn't doing that great a job since I was still moving toward the channel at 1.9 knots
TBH don't seem that big to me , would post some monsters but don't know how to 😩
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:23   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Was there any reason not to alter course to go behind his stern?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:00   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Know that you can get very close to the hull with out any problems. It's the bow and stern that are the problem. It's a bit eerie up close to the smooth sides of these things.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:04   #5

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Wifey B: Answer seems so simple. Don't get too close to them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:05   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

For the OP, be aware of the wind shadow of those big boys...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:23   #7

I sailed in SF Bay for 40+ years. That ain't even close.

It's like docking: practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:35   #8

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I had the enormous pleasure to divert an oil tanker recently. I was sailing by the island of Statia, which is an oil terminal, when I spotted a huge oil tanker streaming towards its. AIS identified the ship and grave me the speed as 20knts. There's no way to take evasive action on something that fast and big. I called the ship on VHF and identified us. The officer on watch was pleasant and accommodating, and it was fun to watch the huge ship change course and pass behind us on its way across the Atlantic.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:48   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've been dealing with a fair number of those container behemoths on our journey down the St. Lawrence Seaway. Massive, and fast. Always try to give them a very wide berth.
Old 06-08-2017, 18:40   #10

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I rented a small aluminum boat with 10hp motor in the California Delta. Felt like a container ship was almost chasing me for a few miles. It was weird to see a ship that size going about as fast as I could. A little eerie really.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I rented a small aluminum boat with 10hp motor in the California Delta. Felt like a container ship was almost chasing me for a few miles. It was weird to see a ship that size going about as fast as I could. A little eerie really.
Most of the ones I ever meet are going a lot quicker than I could ever dream off !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Answer seems so simple. Don't get too close to them.
I was headed across the shipping channel ahead of this guy but decided to tack back and wait. His speed seemed quite fast. On top of that, there was a fishing boat with outriggers headed the other way just inside the channel so I decided not to try an pass between.

I had actually crossed that channel maybe 20 minutes before ahead of another ship thinking I would go ahead cross the entire bay (15 more miles) and sail back tomorrow but remembered I had to be at work for an event.

So I sailed away from the channel a bit then tacked again and heaved too but still moved a bit closer to the channel than I really wanted. I was straightening up some things while I waited and when I noticed he would pass close went in search of the camera......

This guy was putting out maybe a 7' wake so I stayed heaved too through those as well ..............the wake wasn't real steep as it turned out
Old 07-08-2017, 03:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Was there any reason not to alter course to go behind his stern?
I sailed behind his stern after he passed.

While heaved too, I was resetting my autopilot for the trip back in and straightening up some stuff that had gotten knocked over on the sail out.

The wind was pretty fresh and the seas 2-3'. It was a very good day to sail. Very clear; lots of sailboats.

Some of the power boaters were talking about how rough it was when I got back to the dock

At the creek entrance waves were 3'- 4' due to the wind direction but with 14 knots of wind or so on the port quarter that wasn't a problem.......for the sailors that actually sailed into the creek
Old 09-08-2017, 08:19   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

It's funny that we will drive down the highway at 60mph and pass a fully loaded semi truck going the opposite direction at 60mph, with only 6' and a dotted white line between us. But we get nervous at passing a ship going 20 knots 1/4 mile away. After a little more experience you just get used to them.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:06   #15

I guess growing up near Detroit and spending time on the Detroit & St. Clair rivers, I'm just over it. You have no choice but to get a lot closer than those pictures show on a regular basis.

You also may not want to go down the river system. There were times we were within 50' of tows. A standard 3x5 tow is over 1000' long traveling on rivers that may less than 500' wide.

Not saying you shouldn't respect big ships but no need for paranoia.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote