Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 20:15   #46

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

The guy who cleaned my hull found my keys (companionway padlock, dock locker padlock, marina gate, and a couple of others that I no longer remember). They had been submerged in the mud below my slip for somewhere around a month, along with the previously untested yellow floaty thing of insufficient buoyancy (I later determined I should have had three of them). The keys were already a bit ugly, but all still did their job.
Old 21-07-2017, 05:56   #47

The Coral Sea should know exactly what the time is.

It has 4 of my watches sitting on the bottom to tell it.
I appear to be incapable of crossing it without making a contribution.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 06:07   #48

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
We were on a honeymoon charter a couple of decades ago and we got into some restaurant food that made us vilely ill. The weight loss resulted in my bride losing her wedding band and ring about 20m off the sandy beach in about 7 feet of wavey salt water. Three solid days of snorkeling later (and two hours before our charter return time), I found both rings within 3' of each other.
Some things were meant to be...
I took my wife and children on a bareboat charter in Pembrokeshire, Wales, many years ago. She lost her Eternity ring over the side, though didn't realise until some time after the event - we had travelled far!

We are now divorced. As you say, "Some things are meant to be..." 😂😂
Old 23-07-2017, 06:56   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I've never had much luck recovering anything by diving in the marina - too much deep muck for small objects to sink in to. And zero visibility anyway.
!

A couple of years ago the kid and I were changing oil in that outboard for the first time, I had ordered a filter off line, and didn't realize you have to order the O-ring separately.
Anyway I told him be careful don't drop the O-ring. You know I thought those things floated, I really did. Marina has bad vis and bottom is at least 6" of the kind of mud that you can't even feel. I mean you can stick your whole hand in and not feel any resistance, get within a few feet of it, and vis goes to zero.
Anyway the kid is a trained cave diver, one of only two people that have gotten their full cave certification before 18., anyway he found the thing, I sent him down trying to impress on him to be more careful, no way was he going to find an O-ring in that mud, but he did.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:42   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A couple of years ago the kid and I were changing oil in that outboard for the first time, I had ordered a filter off line, and didn't realize you have to order the O-ring separately.
Anyway I told him be careful don't drop the O-ring. You know I thought those things floated, I really did. Marina has bad vis and bottom is at least 6" of the kind of mud that you can't even feel. I mean you can stick your whole hand in and not feel any resistance, get within a few feet of it, and vis goes to zero.
Anyway the kid is a trained cave diver, one of only two people that have gotten their full cave certification before 18., anyway he found the thing, I sent him down trying to impress on him to be more careful, no way was he going to find an O-ring in that mud, but he did.
I think, I would have found a hardware store and bought a buna N O-ring for a quarter or less.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:50   #51

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
I took my wife and children on a bareboat charter in Pembrokeshire, Wales, many years ago. She lost her Eternity ring over the side, though didn't realise until some time after the event - we had travelled far!

We are now divorced. As you say, "Some things are meant to be..." 😂😂
It kinda makes you wonder if the losses were accidental, doesn't it?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:54   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think, I would have found a hardware store and bought a buna N O-ring for a quarter or less.

If memory serves it's a rather large, but thin O-ring, the kind that goes on the cap that covers the cartridge type oil filter, I think.
Not likely to find one in the local plumbing supply
Old 23-07-2017, 11:25   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If memory serves it's a rather large, but thin O-ring, the kind that goes on the cap that covers the cartridge type oil filter, I think.
Not likely to find one in the local plumbing supply
You are probably right. We happen to have a good hardware store. Just out of curiosity I wonder if one off a screw on filter wouldn't work. He probably has the right idea, just order one.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:08   #54

Boat: Island Trader 37 Ketch

My husband has sacrificed a few cellphones to the sea gods -- the last one spent 8 hours in 10 feet of water and came up functional when a friend dove on our slip. Life Proof case! He's also tried sacrificing himself a few times, always with the wallet in his pocket. It one spectacular display of judgement, he actually put the wallet and the phone in his pocket before diving off the boat to go swimming.

I sacrificed the car keys (before the electronic key fobs, thank goodness!), numerous flashlights (both waterproof and non-waterproof) and some clean laundry -- dang, why didn't it go into the water before I went to the trouble of washing, drying and folding it? We've sacrificed MANY retractable dog leashes, once with the dog attached. We got the dog back, but the collar and the leash didn't make it. The worst was the car keys. They were in the pocket of my BC, where we always kept the car keys with no problems, and somehow just disappeared. We had to call my scuba partner's husband to come gets us and drive us back to my house to pick up the spare set. He was watching the world series on a large screen TV, and was not at all happy about the interruption!
Old 23-07-2017, 12:36   #55

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Leather man multi tool which someone decided to toss to me while I was expecting him to hand it to me.
Old 23-07-2017, 13:24   #56

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Over the years lots of stuff...countless hats, tools, small parts, coffee cup, wallet...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 05:27   #57

Boat: TBC

I've been very lucky so far or maybe its because I use one of those Kayak waterproof tubs to keep everything in.
All keys, phones and wallets live in the small tub until back on land.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:09   #58

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

While launching our Catalina 22 off the trailer, the rudder was not properly secured to the transom, and it sank to the bottom at the boat launch....after 20 minutes of fumbling in the zero visibility water Neptune was gracious enough to give it back us. Lesson learned.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:24   #59

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Hmmmm, brand - new $400 pair of prescription sunglasses. Flip phone (back when they were cool). Luckily no wallet or keys...

Lately, just a $2 window scraper as I was peeling off an old decal.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 08:17   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You are probably right. We happen to have a good hardware store. Just out of curiosity I wonder if one off a screw on filter wouldn't work. He probably has the right idea, just order one.

I have two or three spares now, no screw on won't work, filter goes inside of the engine sort of, under a cap, the cap I think has the O-ring.

Tags
overboard, rib