Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 08:37   #1

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Cost & Products for Painiting Topsides?

Hi All;

My 35 foot sloop sustained some cosmetic damage in Irma and the topsides will need to be painted. Can anyone give me an idea of what the best products available these days are and what I might expect a first class yacht yard to charge? I've never had to deal with anything like this before and a bit of knowledge might be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Cost & Products for Painiting Topsides?

I'm sorry about the hurricane damage to your boat.

Is it wood or fiberglass? How extensive is the damage?

If it is wood an epoxy filler and a good quality one part oil based marine grade paint will work.

I know some people are okay with brushed or rolled on over gelcoat, but if you want a professional looking mirror-like finish then a professionally prepped and sprayed on LPU, like Awlgrip, is your best option, although it is your most expensive option. Make sure that the yard you are going to sprays boats on a frequent basis and has an indoor facility for spraying. There is a real art to spraying a boat properly and whoever does it needs to be well practiced.

If your insurance is paying for this then obviously make sure you are clearing the work to be done with them.

The best way to get an accurate quote would be to go to a yard or have one of their representatives come to you. Nobody in a forum is going to have any idea of the actual cost.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Two part acrylic or polyurethane paints, sprayed, are going to give you the best and most durable finish. Acrylic, like Awlcraft, has the benefit of being polishable and easily repaired, although it is not as hard and durable as a polyurethane paint like Alwgrip. Downside of Awlgrip is that it "separates" as it cures into what is essentially a clear coat top layer which makes repairs and touchups more difficult.

Much if not most of the cost of having it done professionally is in the preparation; cleaning, fairing/repairs, sanding, priming, then sanding again, then the topcoat, all with the associated washing and taping that goes on. Cost is going to vary based on how much repair work is required, what products you choose, application method, and location. A top quality two part spray job for a 35' is probably going to set you back somewhere north of $12k in Miami, how far north of that being largely related to how much repair work is required.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 20:59   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Hi All;

My 35 foot sloop sustained some cosmetic damage in Irma and the topsides will need to be painted. Can anyone give me an idea of what the best products available these days are and what I might expect a first class yacht yard to charge? I've never had to deal with anything like this before and a bit of knowledge might be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Don't use BRIGHTSIDE from West Marine
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:45   #5

Check out Boat Works on YouTube. It’s a great channel of a professional boat repair person. Andy goes through all of the different types of repairs, paints, gel coats, etc., etc. You can watch several of the different videos and learn a lot about the pros and cons of each type of repair.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30   #6

Last time I checked it was between $150. to $200. a linear foot.
So $7,000.oo would be close.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I used Epiphanes 2-part paint with a foam roller with rounded ends suitable for 2-part paints. I painted the hull a very dark blue and from 10 feet away, it looks great.

One tip: Don't change colors, paint the same color as the gelcoat or every scratch in the future will stand out.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 13:26   #8

I just finished painting the top deck of my Houseboat. I used Interdeck with a brush for hard to reach areas and a foam roller. Goes on smooth, no brush strokes, and one coat. Only downside is the paint fumes. Easy to use and easy clean up.
BamaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 18:00   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ronizoro,

Your insurance company may have a recommendation.

We had our present boat's topsides painted about 8 yrs. ago, here in Australia, and it was roughly $14,000; that included sanding, fairing, and spraying with automotive LPU, and bottom paint. It is still shiny and looks good. However, paint is basically fragile, and liable to dings from impact with hard things and scratches. Imo, it is not as durable as gelcoat.

Ann