Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 14:21   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Could abanboned sailboat = Man cave or playhous

A discussion was posted about boats being man caves.

With all the old, nearly abandoned, unseaworthy sailboats available ... often for free ....

what about the idea of burying an old sailboat to the waterline as a mancave, playhouse, or even as a "private" place to go?

Most of the " free boats" would still be pretty much weather proof, for those stormy nights(whether it's stormy weather or stormy wife)

In essense many free, or nearly free sailboats would still be pretty much self contained.

To me this seems cool, but I see nothing of the kind on the internet...
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 15:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Could abanboned sailboat = Man cave or playhous

So long as the boat is properly secured I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I guess if you lived close to the water you might be limited in how deep you can bury it by the water table, and it would be pretty rediculious looking. But I can't think of any specific reason you couldn't.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 15:55   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
A discussion was posted about boats being man caves.

With all the old, nearly abandoned, unseaworthy sailboats available ... often for free ....

what about the idea of burying an old sailboat to the waterline as a mancave, playhouse, or even as a "private" place to go?

Most of the " free boats" would still be pretty much weather proof, for those stormy nights(whether it's stormy weather or stormy wife)

In essense many free, or nearly free sailboats would still be pretty much self contained.

To me this seems cool, but I see nothing of the kind on the internet...
There are a few anchored (or grounded in the marsh) around here that you can have.

If you're thinking of parking a sailboat in your yard or burying it up to the waterline to live in or use as an extra room, I suspect your neighbors might not be happy with your "man cave". Then of course there are town or city ordinances and neighborhood covenants. There may be issues with building codes as well.

As for being self contained, none of the plumbing drains would work, you would have to collect any waste water and pump it into a sewer.
Old 04-11-2014, 16:04   #4

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I think there's a CF member in Louisiana someplace who uses one for a house. But like the other poster noted, neighbors may be less friendly to the new "theme'd habitat" or recreational structure on your property.
Old 04-11-2014, 16:06   #5

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The survivalist in you might appreciate your preparedness for the next great flood!
Old 04-11-2014, 16:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

bout 20 years ago I bought a really nice trailer, had a 23 foot aquarius on it,
After a short time trying to give the boat away, I ended up hanging it between 4 posts from chains about 6 inches off the ground, ( it was a swing keel) in the trees where two creeks came together on a piece of property I owned. cut a doorway in the side of the boat in the cockpit, glassed in the area and made a great place for my grankids to hang out when they came over.. hanging off the chains, the boat would rock and roll as they moved around it.. They are now in their teens now but often talk about the old Pirate boat in the back yard we had at one time..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 16:46   #7

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

imagine all those folk in floodable areas, each having their own "arc"(old, neglected but floatable), of a safe room, for when the levee breaks and they have to contend with 10' of water.

Better than waiting for un-inhabitable, formadihyde(sp), laced trailers.

Hey! Owning an old sailboat is like a reversed ponzi-scheme, where there are more and more unused boats with less and less takers.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:28   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I think you would soon have a foul smelling filthy hole in the ground. Boats require lots of cleaning and upkeep. A derelict is a hazard in many ways. But if you elect to do such a thing post some pics so we may enjoy the oddity of it all. Maybe better to dig a pond and put it in there.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A neat idea! As rwidman said ordinances would probably be your problem.

There was a Novi schooner buried and used as a restaurant in Port Jefferson on Long Island years ago. I think it burnt. Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54   #10

I think it could be a fun idea but with some caviots:
- As others have said, zone rules may prohibit it if you are in a built up area.
- Even without zoning rules, if you bring power or water to the boat, building inspectors may take issue.
- Sealing the topsides from the rain is still a concern and if you keep it for any length of time, plan on occasional maintenance.
- Draining the bilge is a consideration. If the water table is high, that probably means maintaining a bilge pump. If you are above the water table and the soil has reasonable drainage, you could probably just dril a hole at the low point of the bilge. As long as any leaks are limited to modest drips, that should be able to keep up.
- If it's for the kids, go thru the boat and childproof it based on their age.

Otherwise, seems very doable.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:58   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Take one old boat.... strip out insides.... remove mast...

Invert..

Cut door in side...

refit interior as you wish...

At least the roof shouldnt leak.......
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think it could be a fun idea but with some caviots:
- As others have said, zone rules may prohibit it if you are in a built up area.
- Even without zoning rules, if you bring power or water to the boat, building inspectors may take issue.
- Sealing the topsides from the rain is still a concern and if you keep it for any length of time, plan on occasional maintenance.
- Draining the bilge is a consideration. If the water table is high, that probably means maintaining a bilge pump. If you are above the water table and the soil has reasonable drainage, you could probably just dril a hole at the low point of the bilge. As long as any leaks are limited to modest drips, that should be able to keep up.
- If it's for the kids, go thru the boat and childproof it based on their age.

Otherwise, seems very doable.
Since we a talking foolishness, fill the bilge with cement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
So long as the boat is properly secured I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I guess if you lived close to the water you might be limited in how deep you can bury it by the water table, and it would be pretty rediculious looking. But I can't think of any specific reason you couldn't.
Hey, if the water table is high enough, you could float it in your own very tiny lagoon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47   #14

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I think there was an abandoned boat in Antigua which someone hoisted up on stands and made into a Bar, southeast of Jolly Harbor.
Old 05-11-2014, 16:51   #15

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

As with most good ideas, someone will want a," Kick-Back," and someone will be jealous. "It's an eye soar." "Who approved the electrical and plumbing.?" Stay out of city limits. And what they don't see, won't hurt you.!
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat