Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 12:58   #1

Could trailering my boat be an option for extending my cruising grounds?

Hi all!

I know this is thinking outside the box, and a lot of you will say "Why Dont You Just" and give me all sorts of other advice. I'm exploring the possibility of THIS idea, and would like some of your input regarding it's merits, if you're willing to give them. I have looked into renting, or buying something there, or selling this boat and buying something that is easier to transport etc... This is just one idea of many. Thanks.

I have a 1974 Ranger 33 that has spent it's life on a lake in Montana. I'm the new owner of it, and have spent the last couple of years learning to sail on it. It has been wonderful.

I day dream about sailing around the San Juan Islands in Washington, and have often wondered if I could have my marina lower the mast, and then put the whole thing on a trailer, and tow it with my truck out to Washington, and have the mast raised there, and I'd re-install/adjust the rigging.
I own the boat with a friend, and we would have the boat out there for a 6-8 weeks and then bring it back. This version of the plan does not involve storage.

Displacement:10,500.00 lb / 4,763 kg
Max Draft:5.00 ft / 1.52 m
LOA:33.17 ft / 10.11 m
MAST: 38 ft, Deck stepped.
Beam:9.58 ft / 2.92 m (I would need a permit for towing)

There is so much that I don't know about the process of raising and lower the mast, as well as trailering a larger, heavier boat across 2 states. What jumps out at you as potential obstacles? Thanks!
billyjones454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 13:13   #2

Boat: I'm in the market, as it were
Re: Could trailering my boat be an option for extending my cruising grounds?

Someone got it to Montana, so it's possible!

Do you have a trailer currently? Pads of bunks? Tandem 7k axles? Do you have the trailer extension or plan on having it hoisted?

I had a 26ft Macgregor that is designed to be trailered, so there was a mast raising and lowering system. It was actually fairly easy to do (by myself) once I got the hang of it. I've often wondered how big of a mast could be raised and lowered using that type of gin pole set-up. With 2 people I didn't even use the pole. See if you can figure out how much the mast weighs and find someone with a Macgregor or similar on Flathead or at Ft. Peck, get them to let you help.

Totally sounds like something I would try, good luck!
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 18:47   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Nice boat. We looked at one once for a possible purchase. The beam will require wide load permits. Some states may require a lead and possibly a following car with warning signs. There may be height issues with overpasses. Based on the drawing here https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ranger-33/ it looks like the boat from cabin top to keel bottom is about 10'. The stanchions will stick up higher than that, so the height of the trailer base will be important if most overpasses are 12'6". It would be a hassle to have to remove the bow & stern pulpits and all the stanchions. Any cabin top winches might also cause problems. Planning a route that avoids low bridges will add to expenses too. There are boat transport companies that do this. Get some quotes to see what the ballpark costs are. Doing it yourself might not end up being cheaper.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 19:34   #4

Since you are asking for a focused answer - the answer is YES. Nothing to it.

You just need to know what the nothing consists of.

If you stick around 'ere and let them wot's seen the movie give you guidance without constraining their answers unduly, we can certainly help you to go winter cruising in the SanJuans, or better still, the Gulf Islands. We can even get you to Alaska through absolutely mind=blowing waters if that is what you want :-)

The Ranger 33 is a fine boat for man and maid to do the SanJuans.

Is it your intention to trailer the boat from Mantana to the coast and then from the coast to Montana every year?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 21:29   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Flathead Lake perhaps? Somers perhaps? If so, how is my boat doing? (Columbia 24)

You'll need a permit for being over 8 feet wide, as you say. You'll need a truck that can tow over 15,000 pounds because boat and trailer will be at least that. You'll need a trailer (and brakes) that are up to the task with capacity to spare.

Pulling the mast isn't necessarily a big job as long as you have a yard nearby with a crane on a travel lift, or somewhere else for lifting small boats. I have lifted mine off with a line with a loop around the mast below the spreaders up to the crane. Disconnect all the turnbuckles, lift a few inches to disconnect cables inside the mast if they come up from the bottom, if they come out of the mast above then disconnect them along with rigging. It's not something you'd like to do everyday, but it is not so bad.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 14:46   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm assuming you're licensed for that long and large, and heavy a load? And have a large enough truck and brakes? And a good trailer with a cradle built in? and good brakes? Without the last two, it is more likely to be cheaper to truck it there by a professional, and maybe someone returning to the west coast otherwise empty.

For boats your size, usually people hire it done. I don't know what restrictions you'll encounter, and if you decide to try the Canadian Gulf Is., too, then you'll need to research what you have to do in Canada, too.

Don't know what you use for bottom paint in the fresh water lake, but it will not be suitable for the ocean, so you should plan to re-anti-foul the bottom should you decide to leave it in the water in WA.

Ann

PS. Don't plan on it going smoothly: when that happens it is a rare blessing.
Old 17-08-2023, 14:55   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Don't know what you use for bottom paint in the fresh water lake, but it will not be suitable for the ocean, so you should plan to re-anti-foul the bottom should you decide to leave it in the water in WA.

Ann

Good point anodes will be different too.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, trailer