Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 07:22   #1

Crews

Family members were on board and had many issues due to different views of sailing.
What kind of contract/rules should be written for the crews before they are on board? So that they know what to expect.

How do you guys choose the right crews?
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 07:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: crews

Not clear from your post what kind of sailing you were doing and what the problem.

First thing is to very clearly define the plan and goals for the time on the boat. Will this be a delivery to get the boat as quickly and efficiently as conditions permit from one location to another? Will this be just be time at the dock in an exotic location so more like a floating hotel room? Will this be pure vacation and fun? How long will it be? Will the boat stay in one location or one area? Will you sail a lot or a little?

Since you refer to "crew" it sounds to me like it was more like a delivery and less like a holiday.

Whatever the plan make sure it is very clearly related to the people that will be on the boat BEFORE you and they commit. Then discuss your plans with their ideas and preferences. Should become clear from this whether or not they will be a good fit for your plans.

Or, to put it all in a nutshell it is very simple, communications between captain/owner and crew.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 07:53   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: crews

I take folks daysailing individually. If they each seem to have a grip then I take them out in groups day sailing to make sure they can work as a group too. Then I do some overnighters.

Don't call it a contract to them, give them a list of "Expectations"
1. This is not a vacation. You are expected to help with all aspects of cruising the boat except pumping out, repairing and cleaning the head, that's the skipper's job.
That means you help lug supplies when provisioning the boat.
That means helping with meal prep and clean up.
That means dropping what you are doing occasionally to be on deck and do as you are told.
2. Learn the lingo. The jargon used in cruising goes a long way in making directions clear and minimizing problems. [Include a list of basic terms for guests to learn with diagrams, and teach them more involved terms as you go.]
3. Keep the boat neat. This is a safety issue. Boats move a lot, even at dock or anchor. Loose things underfoot when the boat is rocking and rolling is a danger. Everything should have a place to store where is secure when the boat is moving a lot. Minimize what is left out even when the boat is at dock or anchor.
4.This is not a vacation.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:03   #4

Re: Crews

Especially if none are "sailors", I give them a sheet with instructions of exactly what to do, say on the radio and steps in order if I go overboard, and we review the sheet. The steps are different depending on whether they can see me and if so, whether I'm coherent or not. Never needed it, but I'd hate to fall overboard and no one knows what to do next.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew