Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 13:23   #16

Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Crossing Gulf Stream Florida to Bahamas

I live in west Palm Beach and my work takes me along the beach almost every day so I get to see the ocean in all her different moods. when the wind shifts out of the west, which is not often, the ocean is flat flat. That system typically shifts around in 24 hours out of the east again. The northerlies aren't that often but when they come, after a day of blowing out of the north the horizon, where the Gulfstream is for us, looks like a serrated knife or on big days it looks like a heard of elephants and the wind against the 3 knot current can make what local sailors call "square waves;" the kind your boat falls off when they get big enough. I've heard the stories of being beat up and I don't think it's necessary.
A northerly will not blow for more than a couple days as the prevailing wind is an easterly. West Palm Beach has more than enough to keep a person occupied for that window unless it's really, really important to get to the Bahamas right now or you really don't have enough "sea stories" to impress your friends with.
It's sailing, something you learn to have patience with if you want to enjoy yourself.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:29   #17

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboat View Post
So an inexperienced crew would have the same level of danger as an experienced crew? You might want to rethink that last sentence. In my humble opinion.
I've found that "luck" trumps "experience" a lot in cruising.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have made the crossing to the B'mas at least 50 times..maybe more...and vice versa off course.
By sailboat ! a 40 footer.
I have always left from West Palm Beach ( Peanut Island) and once from Ft.Pierce and crossed the B'ma bank at Memory Rock, eventually clearing in at Green Turtle.
Leaving the Abacos, I always just left from Green Turtle Cay and headed straight back to the USA.

That being said, crossing the Gulf Stream is unlike any other ocean sailing you will ever experience.....hmmm....maybe going to Bermuda can be equally fraught with interesting weather. Out of 3 attempts to make Bermuda, only 1 was successful. One could say, I've paid my dues.
One should think of the Gulf Stream as a " river" in the the ocean.
Newbies often underestimate the current of the Gulf Stream.
Along the main " axis" currents will be easily at 3 knots or more (going north). This will taper off near the edges of the stream.

It can be dead smooth or roiled like no tomorrow.
Like many, I have got tired of waiting at West Palm Beach and headed out in a " norther" only to come limping back in hours later.

Ironically, because leaving Peanut Island for the Abaco's one must allow for the Gulf Stream current and make a heading several degrees south of your intended landfall. This makes a north wind pretty acceptable were it not for the Gulf Stream

The problem with a " norther" it takes a few days for the seas to lay down, by which time, the next " norther" is on your doorstep.
This is particularly true during the winter months.

By the end of March, the frequency of " northers" lessen.

In bygone years ( before GPS) I always did the crossing at night to be on the banks the next morning. Many sailors elect to clear in at West End, but crossing at Memory Rock, lessens the angle you must take.
Now with GPS, I will run that track at any time when the weather suits me.

Ideally, you want to watch the weather. Before a " norther" the wind will usually swing to the " west" for a short time. Making the crossing with a " west" wind is simply the best. You can hoof it over there under sail in no time, much quicker than motoring. if you have the time to wait and have a good weather source, this is the best, You need a 12 hour window, this will get you to Great Sale Cay.

Summer weather usually means south-east wind, so considering your southeast heading, you will have to motor across...usually a 12 trip.

Finally, leaving from West Palm Beach, you will notice some tall antenna's.....at night they will flash red. Keep these lined up as you cross and it will keep you perfectly on the correct track. They can be seen for a good 20 miles or so, by which time you should be out of the main axis of the stream.

Finally, yes, if you suck it in, you can cross in a " norther". I've done it. It will be a wet and wooly ride. At first the size of the waves will scare the snot out of you, but you can get somewhat used to it, which lessens the anxiety and make the beer taste better at the end of the crossing.

Happy sailing !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:35   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
a64, a solar stick is a prefabbed pole designed to hold a solar panel with built in ability to tilt. It was kinda ahead of its time but way pricey and folks have found either their own home-made versions or better ways to mount the panels.

His "Boat Babe" was very popular on sbo.com for years - the photos were very tasteful and she was attractive.
And I am pretty sure that was a hunter 25.5 they did the crossing on “empty pockets”
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:41   #20

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
To what extent does this advice still apply to cruising-sized sailboats with confident crew?

You can find my opinion on this topic about halfway down this page

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-195434-3.html

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 14:24   #21

Boat: Pearson

The gulf stream can throw 3 sided waves at you in a nanno second wfw, wait for weather.
Old 07-03-2019, 14:38   #22

If you like taking a beating, go right ahead.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 15:09   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you are in NE florida or thereabouts .. would it make sense to cross and then head down outside the stream?
Old 07-03-2019, 15:30   #24

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We motored and sailed from No Name Harbor leaving at 0400 2/28 to Morgans Bluff arriving at 0900 3/1 where we cleared into the Bahamas with this exact NOAA forecast. Since we cross the Gulf Stream with a SE heading the wind was just a bit forward of the beam. We had most of the time a little more wind than forecast. It was a nice trip.

AMZ651-671-281715
Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM-
Waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL from 20 to 60 NM
excluding the territorial waters of Bahamas-
303 AM EST Thu Feb 28 2019

.TODAY...North northwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas around
2 feet. Period 3 seconds. Intracoastal waters a light chop.
.TONIGHT...North northeast winds 5 knots becoming east around
5 knots after midnight. Seas around 2 feet. Period 3 seconds.
Intracoastal waters smooth.
.FRIDAY...East winds around 5 knots. Seas less than 2 feet.
Period 3 seconds. Intracoastal waters smooth.

Bill
1988 PSC 34
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 16:08   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

If inexperienced, the trip can be a nightmare if the weather is wrong. WE crossed in February and got hit with everything that could (20 + knot northerlies) but we got through it, rough ride though it was.

but it is not a long crossing - a suitable weather forecast can be waited for and should be, unfortunately we were pushing because we had to meet someone in the BVI.

The gulf crossing was nothing compared tot he 8 days we spent from the Bahamas going south against the Christmas Winds. we had 25-30 knots on the nose and 3 meter waves, also on the nose. We finally bailed out and made for San Juan when the weather forecast said 40+ knots the next day on the nose and swells running 4- 5 meters.

tough run, but we've seen worse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:08   #26

You would be better off to wait until the wind switches to the west or south.The crossing is pleasant! From Key Largo or Marathon lots of anchorages in both areas. Be sure to use crossing the Golf stream guide for recomended compensation headings depending on the speed of your vessel cruise at night to arrive at daylight! The stream will move you about 3 Kts faster over ground. You could clear in st Gun Key. Happy voyage😊
Emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:13   #27

Boat: 55 fleming

This information also applies to medium sized sail boat with competent experienced crew. There have been a number of 40-50 foot sail boats with competent crew that have been lost between Florida and the Bahamas due to weather. At the best it will be extremely uncomfortable and your boat will take a beating.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crossing Gulf Stream Florida to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
If inexperienced, the trip can be a nightmare if the weather is wrong. WE crossed in February and got hit with everything that could (20 + knot northerlies) but we got through it, rough ride though it was.

but it is not a long crossing - a suitable weather forecast can be waited for and should be, unfortunately we were pushing because we had to meet someone in the BVI.

The gulf crossing was nothing compared tot he 8 days we spent from the Bahamas going south against the Christmas Winds. we had 25-30 knots on the nose and 3 meter waves, also on the nose. We finally bailed out and made for San Juan when the weather forecast said 40+ knots the next day on the nose and swells running 4- 5 meters.

tough run, but we've seen worse
You would have been better served running NE with S moving to W winds.. usually 3 days.. then riding the N'lies to the BVI's.. that would take you past the stream NE of the Bahamas ready to run E then down to the BVI's.
A standard run from Miami.. the Thorny Path sucks.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 21:50   #29

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I see lots of great advice, but I didn't hear the classic summary. Sailboats often wait for a southerly wind around South Florida. That may be a long wait in mid winter or mid summer because the prevsiling SE wind sitcks around. In spring and fall, the wind changes more quickly because fronts come through. It may be scary to leave with a cold front on tour tail, but I've seen days of nice weather as the front approaches.

Often, fronts loose umphf. You can tell because the front goes flat (line about E-W along latitude). That means the warm air is beating the cold front back.

So, just be careful if the front is still angled. That means it’s strong and will roar through with high winds.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:32   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Salubrity.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, florida, gulf stream