Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 12:09   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Cruisers Vs Sailors

I think there is a big difference between cruisers and sailors. Cruisers sail to get from point A to B. Sailors sail for the pure enjoyment of sailing. There may be some who are both. Live-aboards are a totally different breed.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:25   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Cruisers Vs Sailors

So?

There are boats designed for cruisers, only for sailors and for cruisers that like as well to sail. If the market is like that is because there are all those types of sailors and cruisers, including the ones that prefere cruising using only an engine.

whats new?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:44   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I get you kmacdonald. I’m definitely on the cruiser side. To me a sailboat is just an entirely desirable way to move me and my home around. I like sailing, but it’s not the reason I own a cruising sailboat.

In our current marina there are real sailors; people who like to sail and do so as much as they can. To me, it just sounds like too much work to get the boat out for a couple hours of evening sailing. I’d rather sit in my cockpit, sip some wine, and wave as they go by.
Old 13-12-2016, 12:59   #4

Sailors are insane we chase crazy weather we don't whinge about the standards .We sail as its like a drug .Cruisers will go from a to b going oh that's nice put anchor here for a month crack out the chilled wine , a sailor will start to figit after a day or two at anchor he needs the wind he needs to make the distance .A sailor is all about the history as well what the old men of the sea back in the day of captain cook .With a respect for the men who did it hard that charted these oceans .Most of all a sailor enjoys the ocean he is a sea creature that's not dandruff its salt .Plus drinks rum instead of water lots and lots of rum and may pillage now and then
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I think the original proposition is an over simplivifaction. I think of it more along the lines of:

All who journey by boat are cruisers, but for some, the destination is more important, for others, the journey is more important and for others again both are equally important.

Some liveaboards are cruisers others are floating apartment occupiers.

Many cruisers and many floating apartment occupiers are also avid sailors for who a destination is irrelevant.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Edit: Gee StuM and I are thinking the same again... Scarry.... He beat me to it.

Hum, perhaps too simplistic a distinction. I am sure many cruisers love sailing too. I love it when sailing. But then again I'm not going to do 500 short tacks, sailing up a river either. That is just a bit too much fun in my eye.

Perhaps its cruisers that tend to use the motor more and racers that tend to do the 500 short tacks. Though some cruisers love short tacking. Myself I motor some, just to help with the battery charge sometimes and mostly to get someplace without getting beat up too much so I can still make a meal.

I think there is more to cruising then sailing. Sailors will take the boat out for a few hours a day, go back to the dock, clean it up and go home. Cruisers, will get back to the dock, or anchor, make dinner, shower, fix something, check the batteries, check that the anchor is set or docklines are good, check that the boats around are not dragging, Watch boats drag..., dinghy to shore, read a book, etc. Really two different pastimes.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:18   #7

Umm, don't most cruisers live aboard?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:28   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

so much emphasis online for which box you fit in. On the docks all anyone wants to know is what type of beer you like...
Old 13-12-2016, 13:32   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I think there is a big difference between cruisers and sailors. Cruisers sail to get from point A to B. Sailors sail for the pure enjoyment of sailing. There may be some who are both. Live-aboards are a totally different breed.
Now I wonder where this thread could be headed?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruisers Vs Sailors

'Sailors' wander down to the dock, slip their lines and go out for a few hours to bang their boats around.. then head back in.. tie up the boat and head home.. dive under a hot shower, then put their feet up in front of the TV and watch the game.. after ordering a Domino's..
A cruiser unties the dock lines and heads of out to sea at a leisurely pace and spends days at sea.. in all weathers.
But you forgot another category.. seamen.. the people who make their living out on the water for weeks or months on end sometimes in gales and sea's of 5-10metres.. now that's what I call sailing..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:54   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
How thoughtfull of you to define who I am.
Can you please mail me the label.
Old 13-12-2016, 14:12   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Puleaze. Not trying to be provocative, KMac, are you? I'm a sailor, cruiser, racer and liveaboard. Yes, I race my home and sometimes I cruise with the kayak on the deck. I'm always sailing but sometimes I have to motor. Oh where do I fit in your narrow paradigm?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:27   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Not trying to be provocative, KMac, are you?
Surely not... well, maybe... could be... well, are we surprised?

Jim
Old 13-12-2016, 14:28   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

For the past 7 years I've been mostly a sailor. But for the past 3 months I've been a cruiser on a sailboats and traveled from Boston to St Augustine Florida. During that time I've barely done any sailing.

Cruising to me definitely isn't really about sailing.
Old 13-12-2016, 14:30   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

Im a cruiser liveaboard, and enjoy a nice sail when all is well, but to be honest ,the day they invent teleportation I will be teleporting my boat to the destination reasonably regularly. For me its the destination not the journey. Love boats, love the places and people but those uncomfortable go on forever passages? Nope, not for me....dolphins at the bow days, yep that's for me.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail