Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:55   #121

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
This thread has proven there are a lot of you I would like to know, spend time and share good beer with.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think your odds go up a lot higher if you can enjoy every day of your life more than the day before, regardless of what gets thrown at you.

The moment of your greatest victory is followed instantly by the moment you lose it. You can't have this idea in your head that there's some better place right around the next corner.

If life gives you lemons, you make lemonade, then drink to life's good health with a smile. Constant will power, a positive mind, and a dash of humility.
Better yet, if life gives you lemons, mash them up, ferment them and distill the result!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:33   #123

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
This thread has proven there are a lot of you I would like to know, spend time and share good beer with.
Amen to that. As a newbee this particular thread has proven to me that my wife and I are headed into the right company.
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 15:15   #124

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Thank you all for your support, it really means a lot.

I never was one to suffer over decisions made, bad or good. I just take what I have and keep pushing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I think it's OK that your brother's dream has changed. Goals and dreams often change in life. It's the reason I'm not a fireman or an astronaut. What's not cool is his negativity about something so dear to you. Wish I could say I never experienced this myself, but MOST of my family, and several of my friends are negative about our plans. My sister barely speaks of it, my mother pretends we're not leaving, Marisa's mom lays down guilt about separating from the family...you get the picture. THEY DON'T WANT US TO LEAVE. There's a whole World out there, and your brother can read the blog. RustyPirate, if you want support, you found it right here.

Hello. My name is Christian, and I'm a Cruise-a-holic.
If he had a new dream I would agree with you, but he has just fallen into the trap of wondering where he went wrong, and trying to figure out if he hand only changed this one thing.....

He has become lost in the idea of guaging his success by the yardstick of someone else, rather than what was his own vision. I guess he may also feel a little jealous, and for that I forgive him. I really don't understand people who don't know what they want out of life either. That is one of the reasons that my wife and I split up, she was just not passionate about anything, and for as long as I can remember I anve allways dreamed of sailing again.

I finally realized that I do not know my brother any more, and it makes me sad. We grew up only a year apart in ages in foreign lands with no one to count on but each other, but now that is all just gone.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:45   #125

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
Amen to that. As a newbee this particular thread has proven to me that my wife and I are headed into the right company.
Next rounds on me! Stoli and lime please... Any chance we can all meet in the Bahamas in a few years?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 20:19   #126

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Quote:
Next rounds on me! Stoli and lime please... Any chance we can all meet in the Bahamas in a few years?
Don't see why not - even the BVI in 2011 would be a great target
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 21:12   #127

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
I will drink to that!

Quote:
I prefer either IPA, a good red wine, or a good scotch.....depending on the setting and my mood of the moment!
Old 10-11-2009, 21:22   #128

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Better yet, if life gives you lemons, mash them up, ferment them and distill the result!
There is a fellow who sails the Chesapeake who is known for saying, among other wit, when someone gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42   #129

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Even better - convert them to limoncello

5 unwaxed lemons
1l bottle vodka
750g caster sugar
700ml boiling water
  1. Pare the zest from all the lemons, taking care not to include any white pith. Put the zest in a large clean jar and pour over the vodka. Cover with a tightly fitting lid and leave for a week, shaking the jar each day.
  2. Put the sugar in a heatproof bowl and pour over the boiling water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the vodka and peels and leave for a further week, shaking the jar regularly.
  3. Strain into decorative bottles, and you can add a few strips of lemon zest to each bottle for decoration (I don't). Freeze before use.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:38   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
Don't see why not - even the BVI in 2011 would be a great target
I agree! I'll bring ya a pail of India Pale Ale! Hey, wonder how the limoncello would be with limes...

Old 11-11-2009, 08:55   #131

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Marisa and I were discussing this last night; We read blog after blog and magazine article after article
Cruising World, November 2009, Page 112.

Only a tiny bit there, but something.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55   #132
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i found that running away from home makes a great way to cruise whil ei am in the midst of boat repairs --i own a formosa so i am always having to fix something--big stuff--not just small items--lol--so i have run away now twice...second time i found a friend i can cruise with--we plan on goiung to virgins in jan--via tortugas and other points of intertest----is an excellent way to get around without having to have your own boat in use.....oh yes--and i take my kat with me--is bubbadaboatkat and has his own facebook page lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25   #133

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
This thread is chicken soup for my soul!

I have just read this entire thread because failure is a concern my wife and I both share. After sailing with our son for a week during the summer, the idea of living aboard and island hopping became a retirement dream for us. But good fortune (for us) has pushed the dream forward more quickly than we could have imagined. We are about to close on a beautiful 40' Island Packet that we were able to purchase far below current market price. Realize, our original plan included sailing classes April, 2010 and now, November 2009, we're about to take possession of a boat in a week! We do have some apprehension since the plan seems to have been fast-forwarded beyond our initial comfortable timetable.

So, for now we plan taking everything in baby steps... clean the boat, do some week end live-aboards, do any needed repairs/upgrades, get the sailing certs....and then (and not before!) begin sailing but only during fair weather in the local sound. The initial sailing plan is very cautious... develop skills and build our experience slowly and safely. For I fear a knock-down or a brutal passage during our early sailing experience could jeopardize the dream...and we really want this retirement life to work for us.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 14:06   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
The initial sailing plan is very cautious... develop skills and build our experience slowly and safely. For I fear a knock-down or a brutal passage during our early sailing experience could jeopardize the dream...
Now THAT'S a first post! Welcome bchaps! When you get a chance, fill a little more info into your profile, so we'll know where you will sail, etc...Your plan is perfect, your boat is great, and you have nothing to fear. Take it slow, NEVER have a schedule to keep, and make short hops at first. Read a ton, and build a library if you can. "The Annapolis book of seamanship", "World Cruising Routes", and "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" are the big three in my humble opinion. Nice to see you here!

Old 11-11-2009, 17:22   #135
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
Realize, our original plan included sailing classes April, 2010 and now, November 2009, we're about to take possession of a boat in a week!
Bill
Hi Bill, congrats to your new boat! You can always go for a coastal and offshore sailing class before you go for a longer passage. If you're not sure what to expect when sailing out there then get a skipper to sail with you on your boat and teach you.

have fun
ato is offline   Reply With Quote