Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2022, 12:18   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Cruising a 24 - 27ft mono vs cat vs tri

Looking for some advice here. I single hand small boats (under 28 ft). Always have, probably always will. I dont need standing head room and I take minimal gear. (and I do mean minimal) I will be coastal cruising ~95% of the time with the odd short crossing (im not taking this across oceans). Im looking at a few boats for my next purchase. I realize most of these are performance boats that I will not be racing. I simply like the minimal interiors and everything is visible/accessible. Plus the speed is available if desired. Here is what made the list:

Beneteau First/Seacape 24/27
F/Corsair-24/27
Wharram Tiki 26

1. Can anyone tell me why an F-24 would be any less safe than a F-27, particularly on a 2 or 3 day crossing. (Other than comfort and load capacity). Most information I've come across says the 27's are preferred for ANY offshore work. Why is this?

2. Same question above for the First/Seascape.

3. The Wharram is an interesting choice here. Im looking at the 8m GRP version built by Boatsmith. Anyone cruised on a small wharram vs a small tri? From what I've read, its very capable of making passages. Are the risks the same or is the Wharram design inherently more stable?

Thank you
recollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 15:15   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cruising a 24 - 27ft mono vs cat vs tri

The F boats are too light and fast to cruise unless you have a very alert crew of a few good sailors.

F Boats are great for sailing fast for a few hours but you have to imagine being bone tired and sailing one in 25 knot winds or greater for 20 hours-40 hours

With say a 27' full keel monohull even solo you can heave too and sleep or rest when tired......or sail on autopilot an catnap

As far as cruising a 24'-27' mono go here:

https://atomvoyages.com/

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 15:51   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Do you enjoy performance sailing?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 16:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising a 24 - 27ft mono vs cat vs tri

I have owned a Tiki 21 and a Tiki 26..
The Tiki 26 is capable of long voyages, one even competed in the solo Transat back in the 90's and the Tiki 21 has circumnavigated solo.
One thing you will need to do is modify the deck hatches and the access hatches into the accommodation area on each hull as they are pretty crap stock and let water in badly in a seaway.
Another mod I would suggest is a folding sprayhood that stretched from one hull to the other, the more aerodynamic the better, those boxy things you often are crap.
Made one for my Tiki 21 using a sprayhood frame from a mono that I adapted to fit and hand stitched the canvas and windows.
You would be better using one hull for sleeping and personal storage and the other for heads and galley. Its a bit cramped with sitting headroom only but if your under 50 and flexible its very doable.
Used to take mine from the S coast UK across to France and the Channel Islands with no problems covering open waters and busy shipping lanes.
Below is a shot of my Tiki 21 with the sprayhood.. keeps you pretty dry
They can be rigged to use a tiller pilot pretty easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kali.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	255314   Click image for larger version

Name:	31807-albums1536-picture9394.gif
Views:	56
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	255315  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:08   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

Thank you for the responses.

As far as the F boats go, can you not just reduce sail area in heavier conditions? I dont need to sail at 10+ knots 24/7. In fact, id sail at whatever speed made the most sense for the conditions.

Im looking into autopilot options for the F-boats and light displacement boats in general and it seems aside from your standard tiller pilot, there are more advanced and expensive options.

Again i only have limited experience on the F-Boats. Never been offshore with one.
recollect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising