Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2024, 04:46   #166

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Cruising and Modern Conveniences- All is good with Universe

Quote:
Open CPN is fine, if the charts are. Never had a problem from that, but have, from incompatible datums, or too old charts (surveyed in Cook's time). Some places are not well charted. Do note that if the charts you're using are very old, there will be new, additional aids to navigation where there were none before. The geography doesn't change as fast usually as the man-made stuff does. Exception is places where the bottom depths may change rapidly due to volcanic activity, and flooding, which leads to silting up and loss of depth. The volcanic places go both up and down! Who'd have thought, eh?
The San Blas Islands is one of those places I do not trust any chart, though the Bauhaus guide was generally excellent when we were there back in 2007 or so. Luckily, it is also one of those places where the water is generally very clear, and visibility is great, so if you navigate during the day with the sun high, as you should, your Mk.I Eyeball will be your most used navigation instrument. But, even in heavily travelled areas with first-world charting agencies you will find charting errors, and some may be significant. I remember this every time I approach or leave my boat yard, which requires a long, winding trek up a shallow river. The buoys tend to mark the very edge of many shoals, and in some places if you go too close you run aground. There are places where I have to stay 100 yards off the buoy to stay in the deepest water. Anyone remember this incident? https://www.hydro-international.com/...ueen-elizabeth

Tags
cruising, enc