Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53   #1

Boat: Comet 41s
Cruising in EU for more than 90 days

Obviously I am talking about citizens of countries that are out of EU. Till now the Schengen agreement only allowed for 90 days. One could stay more time but it will have to deal separately with each country for a longer stay Visa and the rules changed from country to country with a lot of bureaucracy and demands.

A new rule is going to allow a for stays till one year and can be extended providing no more than 90 days in any 180 days are passed on the same country.

"The touring visa shall allow for multiple entries to the territory of all Member States

Applications shall be decided on within 20 calendar days of the date of the lodging of an admissible application. Exceptionally, this period may be extended for up to a maximum of 40 calendar days....

The examination of an application for a touring visa shall include, in particular, the assessment of whether applicants have sufficient financial means of subsistence for the whole duration of the intended stay, including their accommodation, unless it is provided by the inviting or hosting company, organisation or institution....The possession of sufficient means of subsistence and a stable economic situation shall be demonstrated by means of salary slips or bank statements covering a period of 12 months prior to the date of the application..

proof that they have sickness insurance for all risks normally covered for nationals of the Member States to be visited
."

Hopefully it will be approved this year. This the the law project:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...ex:52014PC0163
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 13:19   #2

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: Cruising in EU for more than 90 days

This would be great. We'd love to head over there when we cast off the lines, but we're unlikely to do so with the current 90 day rules. Hopefully it will be implemented so Mr. cthoops and I can start to seriously discuss it instead of always having to add "if they change the Schengen rule."
Old 09-10-2015, 14:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Polux and thanks for the update. The long stay visa has been under consideration for about a year and really hope it goes through. Was going to cruise the Med even with the 90 day Schengen limit but to do so within the rules would be a pain.

I know lots of cruisers just go and very few are ever asked but I just hate to take that risk, no matter how small.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 15:24   #4

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Well it's about bloody time. I may even add Europe to my itinerary now.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 17:04   #5

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Obviously I am talking about citizens of countries that are out of EU. Till now the Schengen agreement only allowed for 90 days. One could stay more time but it will have to deal separately with each country for a longer stay Visa and the rules changed from country to country with a lot of bureaucracy and demands.

A new rule is going to allow a for stays till one year and can be extended providing no more than 90 days in any 180 days are passed on the same country.

"The touring visa shall allow for multiple entries to the territory of all Member States

Applications shall be decided on within 20 calendar days of the date of the lodging of an admissible application. Exceptionally, this period may be extended for up to a maximum of 40 calendar days....

The examination of an application for a touring visa shall include, in particular, the assessment of whether applicants have sufficient financial means of subsistence for the whole duration of the intended stay, including their accommodation, unless it is provided by the inviting or hosting company, organisation or institution....The possession of sufficient means of subsistence and a stable economic situation shall be demonstrated by means of salary slips or bank statements covering a period of 12 months prior to the date of the application..

proof that they have sickness insurance for all risks normally covered for nationals of the Member States to be visited
."

Hopefully it will be approved this year. This the the law project:

EUR-Lex - 52014PC0163 - EN - EUR-Lex
Thanks a lot Polux for this post.
I heard about this a while ago, and it seems the odds are good.

Thanks again for us people who would like to be legal in Europe for a good time.

I guess that when you can proof all the needs they ask for you could stay in Europe for the rest of your days.

Fair winds
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ View Post
Thanks a lot Polux for this post.

guess that when you can proof all the needs they ask for you could stay in Europe for the rest of your days.

Fair winds
Martin
For staying permanently there are several EU countries that offer what is called a gold visa and that will permit you not only to live permanently there but also to stay on any other EU country but the conditions are a bit more demanding than to have just the money to live there for the rest of your days. I believe Portugal is one of the countries that demand less conditions. You have to satisfy one of these conditions:

"• Acquisition of real property with a value equal to or greater than EUR 500000;
• Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 1 million;
• Creation of at least 10 jobs; "

Since the implementation of this measure in the end of 2012 about 2500 Gold visa were conceded in Portugal.

Fair winds!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:04   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 and Orana 44
Send a message via Skype™ to bnizette

All

There is also a Blue Card that is an EU work and stay permit, that applies to the whole family.

It is a little difficult to get but if an EU company asks you to work for them on a contract and you have a recognised university degree then you can get a blue card for the period of the contract.

My charter boat is owned by my Croatian Company and I have an Australian University degree, so I could do a four year contract with a four year extension and not have an issue with being able to stay in any EU country.

Regards
Brian
Sailing in Zadar, Croatia
bnizette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:22   #8
cruiser

The rules change would be nice, BUT... There are many work around perfectly legal ways to stay much longer than 90 days at the present time. So don't sit around waiting for a rules change in order to visit the EU... you're just wasting time.

Extended one year travel visa is just one way, living on a boat is another way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:51   #9

I'm a dual citizen of Ireland and the US, resident of US. Could I register a boat in Ireland, and cruise Europe freely, and indefinitely? And what if I left the boat US registration? Would the citizenship get me any advantage in taking/keeping the boat there?
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:26   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Great information posters. Now if I can only find my bank deposit slip to transfer millions.... Which bank did I leave that in? Smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW..When we cruised the Medd, (left Nov2014) almost all the countries we cruised in had little or no problems staying longer than the 90 days-as long as you were on your boat. We knew several cruisers who stayed much longer, without issue, and only ran into problems when they tried to fly out (return home for the winter, etc). Italy did get sticky (selectively)when some tried to check in and were over the 90 days limit, but no else really got to upset---except the customs/immigration guy in the airport as you were flying home and checking out of the EU. But you never knew for sure. A rule change would really make things a lot simpler!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjack.morton View Post
I'm a dual citizen of Ireland and the US, resident of US. Could I register a boat in Ireland, and cruise Europe freely, and indefinitely? And what if I left the boat US registration? Would the citizenship get me any advantage in taking/keeping the boat there?
If you have dual citizenship I think so but you can ask here to be sure:

EUROPA - E-mail

Regarding the boat it is more complicated. I don't think you can have a Ireland register without paying VAT over the boat. The time you can have the boat in Europe without paying VAT is limited, I believe it is 18 months.

Some Frequently Asked Questions about the rules for private boats - European Commission
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Regarding the boat it is more complicated. I don't think you can have a Ireland register without paying VAT over the boat. The time you can have the boat in Europe without paying VAT is limited, I believe it is 18 months.
It's up to 3 years when using a customs bond arrangement for when the boat is not in use. 18 months use time + 18 months bond time = 3 years. Otherwise, for continuous use its 18 months.

It's not really a big deal to leave the EU for a day and restart the VAT clock at anytime.... Unless your clock runs out in the middle of winter. Gibraltar, most of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Montenegro, Turkey, Israel, Russia, Egypt and Albania. Switzerland can be problematic. :-)
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 13:48   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi, I have spent the last few years in Croatia and the application for a temporary residents permit was pretty cheap and not to much hassle . If you can prove ability to financially sustain the stay they will grant a permit and that allows for national health. Which mean you are on their health scheme. I have private insurance but the permit
made things simple and the ability to travel within the Eu no problem. Plus Croatia is
a great place.
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:04   #15

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

But, many contries may consider a person,staying for more than 1/2 year within a calandar year a TAX RESIDENT. And , than customs/aduanas will hustle for VAT on boat etc
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising