Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 22:35   #2086

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Never done it but i would give it a go...and make it work!

I think it would be easier as a couple- to live on 500- than by yourself.
Two can live cheaper than one, since there are two heads and four hands.Especially if the two of you compliment each others strengths.

Barter-Trade-help,be helped.Think,think,think.Be aware to the opportunities that present themselves.

Pray when all else fails until something comes up favorably.

Where there is a will there will always be a way.

I would rather be living the dream on a boat with a woman whom I love and who loves me with 500 a month and our wits and charms-

-than have too much money living by myself on land.

People are amazingly resourceful or extravagantly wasteful.

I know - I've been both at different times.

I know I have been happiest when I've had the least-monetarily.

If we have everything else that is the most important.

Any-day above ground is a good day with the right partner and the right frame of mind and beliefs.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:44   #2087

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
Never done it but i would give it a go...and make it work!

I think it would be easier as a couple- to live on 500- than by yourself.
Obviously you have never met my ex
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05   #2088

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
. . . but I have seen the West Marine catalog and know that things can add up fast. . .

1. Can you find good anchorages easily, and feel safe leaving your boat alone for a day or a weekend? I know I would feel differently if I have a $40,000 boat verses a $300,000 one. Yet, how often do people do this? Does harbor patrol or the coast guard come around and tow away boats? Are there fines for leaving a boat somewhere it shouldn't be?

2. Can you easily get to shore, and leave your kayak, dingy, or inflatable pool toy and have it be there when you come back?

3. I would assume that I would be migrating with the seasons, and avoiding hurricanes and snow. Is it possible to ever feel comfortable when you are constantly in new places? Do cruisers migrate in packs?

4. Do you have an exit strategy? Should you have an exit strategy? Can you sell a boat that isn't at a marina? Did you need to rent a storage unit as part of the $500/month for your land possessions? Will you be able to create your own job or do you have enough money to live comfortably on land for a while after 5-20 years of cruising?
This CF is all about everything in your questions plus a lot more. Thousands of folks are cruising quite successfully although the term "cruising" has been stretched on this forum from "static live-aboards simply moving from a land home to a floating home" to "international static live-aboards" to "sabbatical cruisers staying out for a couple or more years" to "long term" cruisers who almost never return to their home countries.

Specifically, #1 - you need to do adequate research with nautical charts and guide books and then you will find lots of safe and secure anchorage opportunities just about everywhere. Leaving the boat for a day or weekend is commonly done just about everywhere without any problems. However, there are few or no "official patrols" although if you are in a community (gathering) of other cruisers, we tend to take care of each other's boats when they are ashore. If you do not do adequate research you may just find that you have anchored in a restricted or prohibited area and be fined by the authorities. But they do not move your boat unless it represents a clear and present danger to others.

As to #2, getting access to shore can be difficult or easy. Some marinas allow folks who anchor to use their "dinghy dock" as do some marine related businesses. Some charge a daily fee for the use of their docks which normally also includes the other facilities available at the marina like bathrooms, showers, laundry room, etc. Almost all cruisers "lock" their dinghies when ashore. The relevant motto is - "Lock it or Lose it."

As to #3, some cruisers like to be alone away from the "pack" while others prefer to travel in company with other cruisers. So there is something for everybody. The "cruising lifestyle" is not for everybody, it does take a personality of loving new things and places and not liking being forever in one place. Some people are born, raised, married and die in the same little town and cannot fathom why anybody would want to do otherwise, they would not make good cruisers.

As to #4, remember the "Cruising on $500 per Month" thread is about severely budgeted cruising. The vast majority of North American and European cruisers spend considerably more per month. This thread is about how to facilitate a cruising lifestyle with minimal financial resources much like "back-packing hikers" versus "Holiday Inn/hotel tourists." As to the rest of your questions, there are areas of this forum that cover them in detail. But almost all "newbie" questions are answered by suggesting that you "try out" the lifestyle by chartering/renting boats first in various parts of the world. Common sense and your own level of risk assessment will determine how much "land ties/resources" you keep in place during your cruising years. In my experience a lot of "long term" cruisers will eventually move back to living on land - but not back in their home country, but instead as an Ex-pat living in a more economical and sensible country.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38   #2089

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
This CF is all about everything in your questions plus a lot more. Thousands of folks are cruising quite successfully although the term "cruising" has been stretched on this forum from "static live-aboards simply moving from a land home to a floating home" to "international static live-aboards" to "sabbatical cruisers staying out for a couple or more years" to "long term" cruisers who almost never return to their home countries.

Specifically, #1 - you need to do adequate research with nautical charts and guide books and then you will find lots of safe and secure anchorage opportunities just about everywhere. Leaving the boat for a day or weekend is commonly done just about everywhere without any problems. However, there are few or no "official patrols" although if you are in a community (gathering) of other cruisers, we tend to take care of each other's boats when they are ashore. If you do not do adequate research you may just find that you have anchored in a restricted or prohibited area and be fined by the authorities. But they do not move your boat unless it represents a clear and present danger to others.

As to #2, getting access to shore can be difficult or easy. Some marinas allow folks who anchor to use their "dinghy dock" as do some marine related businesses. Some charge a daily fee for the use of their docks which normally also includes the other facilities available at the marina like bathrooms, showers, laundry room, etc. Almost all cruisers "lock" their dinghies when ashore. The relevant motto is - "Lock it or Lose it."

As to #3, some cruisers like to be alone away from the "pack" while others prefer to travel in company with other cruisers. So there is something for everybody. The "cruising lifestyle" is not for everybody, it does take a personality of loving new things and places and not liking being forever in one place. Some people are born, raised, married and die in the same little town and cannot fathom why anybody would want to do otherwise, they would not make good cruisers.

As to #4, remember the "Cruising on $500 per Month" thread is about severely budgeted cruising. The vast majority of North American and European cruisers spend considerably more per month. This thread is about how to facilitate a cruising lifestyle with minimal financial resources much like "back-packing hikers" versus "Holiday Inn/hotel tourists." As to the rest of your questions, there are areas of this forum that cover them in detail. But almost all "newbie" questions are answered by suggesting that you "try out" the lifestyle by chartering/renting boats first in various parts of the world. Common sense and your own level of risk assessment will determine how much "land ties/resources" you keep in place during your cruising years. In my experience a lot of "long term" cruisers will eventually move back to living on land - but not back in their home country, but instead as an Ex-pat living in a more economical and sensible country.
Very Well Put !
I know that when I do return from my cruise I am already looking at where to settle down for a while.
With the amount of social security,savings, and investments I have America is NOT in my mind at all. I really feel for the youth of this great country. They are ultimately going to have to endure the costs of our parents and grand parents.
As for me I think there are lots of places you can go and set for a year or more. How else do you learn the culture and get to know the people if you don't live with them?
Ya ! Living in chile where 1 U.S. dollar is over 300 of theirs is gonna be tough. Right Zee !
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26   #2090
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Very Well Put !
I know that when I do return from my cruise I am already looking at where to settle down for a while.
With the amount of social security,savings, and investments I have America is NOT in my mind at all. I really feel for the youth of this great country. They are ultimately going to have to endure the costs of our parents and grand parents.
As for me I think there are lots of places you can go and set for a year or more. How else do you learn the culture and get to know the people if you don't live with them?
Ya ! Living in chile where 1 U.S. dollar is over 300 of theirs is gonna be tough. Right Zee !
With an open market a beer still cost 1 US dollar..the good ole days of going to mexico or any where else to make a dollar last is quickly fading..at one time you could buy a pair of those funky sandles that were made from recycled tires for 2.00 in mexico..now they say that they have quite exporting there culture for so cheap(culture ?) better get going as soon as you can if you want any good deals..if there are any good deals...south aisa still has a few but not many other places do..thank you NAFTA for allowing our friends to the south to live a better life..glad I got a piece of the old style world before it faded away...DVC
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48   #2091

Sorry, but $1 beer still sounds pretty dang cheap to me! Let's not forget they are 5 or 6 in the states.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20   #2092
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Just to say, I would not bet the farm on that favourable exchange rate lasting forever. or that the local economy will always be "dirt cheap".
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33   #2093
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

20 peso beer--high price--at 13.5 pesos to dollar--i like less pricy beer-- buy an 8 pak and party down!!!! 20 pesos in a club--is still far better than 5-6 dollars for same one.
foods at 50 pesos per large lunch-awesome---is even high priced for some of the central american countries--as long as overspending is not introduced, life is fine.
w1651--i dont plan on returning frommy cruise--i am a permanent cruiser as usa pricing is waaay over the top.

"I know that when I do return from my cruise I am already looking at where to settle down for a while.
Ya ! Living in chile where 1 U.S. dollar is over 300 of theirs is gonna be tough. Right Zee ! "

things are awesome here-- folks live on much les than do we-- and what is spent here does help folks-- but then they suffer hard when their cost of living is severely raised and then tourism drops like a brick, as it has--now tell me it is good for them--is not.
situation in usa is not getting any better and is in fact growing worse. us citizens cannot afford to reside in our own nation . that is sick.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43   #2094

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Sorry, but $1 beer still sounds pretty dang cheap to me! Let's not forget they are 5 or 6 in the states.
Not in FL.
Where are you going out to buy your beer? Some specialty beer hall?
Old 08-11-2011, 14:22   #2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just to say, I would not bet the farm on that favourable exchange rate lasting forever. or that the local economy will always be "dirt cheap".
When the dollar gets so weak it can't be done it's time to hop in the boat and go!
Find somewhere that is cheaper then the states. The RioDulce comes to mind.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:27   #2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not in FL.
Paid 2.50 last night watching the game.

But still central America is a lot cheaper then the U.S. It may and could change but the last time I looked Indonesia was at 9000 theirs to 1 U.S. Dollar. Thailand was 30 bat to 1 U.S. dollar. How can you not go overseas at the prices and exchange rates that are out there.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:47   #2097

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Paid 2.50 last night watching the game.

But still central America is a lot cheaper then the U.S. It may and could change but the last time I looked Indonesia was at 9000 theirs to 1 U.S. Dollar. Thailand was 30 bat to 1 U.S. dollar. How can you not go overseas at the prices and exchange rates that are out there.
The exchange rate doesn't mean much, at least not what you may be thinking. I live in Thailand and you certainly don't get 30 times as much stuff for your US dollar. Yes, food and housing is very cheap. A lunch could run $1.50 where it would be $5-7 in the US, but not 30 to 1. And goods from overseas or even a Thailand manufactured Honda are going to be more than you would pay in the US. Overall I say living costs are maybe 25-30% of what you would pay in the US.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:57   #2098

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

I guess I was lucky.When I bought my boat you only had the aft cabin to sleep in the rest was all storage it was a floating boat harwhare store I pulled 3000 lbs. of hardwhare off the boat and put 1500 lbs. back on now I have two more state rooms and all the hardwhare I think I will need.I'm getting ready to retire in a month and I'm not staying around here in Port Orchard for another winter.I'm sailing out no matter what the weather is.Look out Cabo....Wildbill.(REALITY) I've lived in Belize for 6 years and found that was true but not anymore..The cost of living is going up as we speak.I'm taking off and going to do boat work in my travels to make extra money there is always someone out there that needs parts or some kind of help and they pay cash..I've done it before and I'm going to do it again and if I don't return to the good old US of A I'll be thinking of it when I'm drinking a cold beer on the beach and the only thing I will have to move is my chair from the raising tide.Thinking of you all Capt. Bill..Arrrr....
Old 08-11-2011, 23:18   #2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not in FL.
Well, WA has some of the highest taxes in the nation. But I mean even a 7/11 in NV or Az is not $1. Especially not for a Corona 'import'
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44   #2100

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Well, WA has some of the highest taxes in the nation. But I mean even a 7/11 in NV or Az is not $1. Especially not for a Corona 'import'
Yea, OK.

The numbers were just exagerated, right?

How much is an imported beer in Mexico?

Tags
cruising