Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 10:55   #2236
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Don't retire. Retirement means you sit in a chair and do nothing. If your on the boat sailing or sight seeing in a foreign country you are NOT retired. People who retire DIE !!!!
So get ready for the adventure of your life or sit back in a chair drooling and waste away. It's all up to you.
I'm going with the first option myself.
I look at retirement as doing what I am doing because I want to not because I have to. My signature reflects those sentiments. I am too young to be "officailly" retired...I am just gainfully unemployed
Old 25-11-2011, 11:10   #2237
Eternal Member

As getting out there and enjoying yourself should be all cruisers #1priority, what you do it in, what you are happy with isn't important. The only person you need to worry about impressing is yourself. I have what some people consider a "character boat" I'm happy with her, I knew I would be when saw her lines.
If your style is different, that is why it is called "your" style.

(I hope this will take the teeth out of the mono/cat thingy that worked it's way into this thread)
Old 25-11-2011, 11:28   #2238
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my formosa is also a kind of character boat, as has a clipper bow and traditional/classic looks.....and , in this market, can be found for under 30k, in decent shape.
Old 25-11-2011, 11:44   #2239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
In the US "Goodwill" is a nonprofit store that sells second hand merchandise. You can find some nice stuff there cheap.
We buy our books form charity shops. Hand them back when we've read them. It's cheaper than book exchanges, and you're helping needy people.
Old 25-11-2011, 11:58   #2240
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my formosa is also a kind of character boat, as has a clipper bow and traditional/classic looks.....and , in this market, can be found for under 30k, in decent shape.
Hard to say what mine would be worth in this market, when everything is said and done, all the cabinetry, rigging, new winches, electronic upgrades, etc.....with out any of the extras I have added It would last about a week is I asked $30K. But I am customizing her for my own uses with no intention of selling her, all of the previous owners ave had her for 10-15 years, the builder kept her till he was 80. I will not be able to afford a new boat until I sell her and I live on board so can't sell her until I get another boat....best solution is to just make her a better boat rather than lusting after a "better boat" I will never be able to afford anyway.
My advise to anyone...If you cannot afford your dream boat, than you need to tone down your dreams a bit (and don't spend so much you can't afford to go anywhere). Which is why I am standing on the deck of my own 30' cutter rather than lusting after a 60' schooner.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:03   #2241
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

two kinds of dream boats-- one to drool over, and one in which to effect your dreams...... oh yeah-- the one ye dream about.....could be either one or a different kind altogether....
Old 25-11-2011, 12:17   #2242

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
It really only matters what HE thinks.
Jeez, need to be careful here since this is my first post.

Responding to a few comments in no particular order;

I believe in the above statement, but you do get some quiet reactions when the person you're face to face with learns you aren't playing by their rules.

Often times, the opening question in marinas or onshore when anchored out is "what kind of boat do you have". What they really want to know is "how big is it?" The questioner will ask directly if I don't state it at the outset.

I used to avoid the question by saying "plastic/big enough" but they'll usually press for more information. It really is a judgment assessment question. If I tell them straight out, it's common that they loose interest or offer a condescending pat on the head. They'll want to know where I left the trailer.

Now I lie and say it's a Swan 72 or Oyster 65. When they think it's bigger than theirs, they just shut up. After the conversation gets past where I've been and how I've done, I tell them the truth. By then I've stated my case and sometimes turns out I've gone further in my "junk" then they have in a "blue water" boat.

That being said, I've met enough voyagers who are sincere, kind and kindred that I feel that I'm in their company, not just tagging along.

The only problem with a small boat is no salon to host a dinner. I have to snag a picnic table or chip in with salad/dessert/MEAT on their boat.

I'd take a cat in a heartbeat if I had the money. I've been in both and they are soooo comfortable.

I heard once that wealth isn't what you have, it's what you can do with what you have. I'm doing better than at least 3 billion. No complaints and if I do, hit me in the head with a hammer.

The last few years I've only worked one month out of twelve but the trade-off is worth it. I have TIME! And with only 20 years left at best, I want to use it my way.

$500 a month is more than I spend but I don't frequent marinas and my systems are minimal; no heavy repair bills.

Probably one or two other things but I've lost the train of thought. Oh well.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:22   #2243
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
two kinds of dream boats-- one to drool over, and one in which to effect your dreams...... oh yeah-- the one ye dream about.....could be either one or a different kind altogether....
When I first saw the add for my boat on the bulletin board it was the line drawings and a brief description from Pat Atkin's web page, and an asking price. The lines were exactly what I had been looking for all my life and the price was in my price range, it was local (quit bus ride) and last two owners were local and took care of theirs boats. The boat was in great shape, but very "bare-bones" the way Atkin had intended it. The size was small enough to be manageable where ever I wished to take it but large enough to take any where I wanted it. This particular boat had not spent it's life in a slip but has alot of "sea miles" and is an proven sea boat.
There is a 65' on deck schooner here (Alcyone Sail Training) that was built to glouster fishing schooner lines, that would be the ideal boat for me....but would need a small crew and a not so small bank account to fund the boat.
Old 25-11-2011, 13:40   #2244

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Dos Gatos - welcome aboard. Sounds like you can contribute alot to this thread. Where are you located?
Old 25-11-2011, 13:53   #2245

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In recent times I have been developing a hankering to build one of these:-

Originally the "plan" (half a daydream? ) was a 21 foot Wharram Tiki - built in Malaysia (by me ) - at some point in the vague and distant future......but something like this might be an alternative - and something I could build next summer, over here (and then try and drown myself locally ). And either ship it out or only part of it and build the rest on site.....or simply use my newly acquired boat building skills for the Tiki.
If you like the Wharram's, his "Melanesia" might be another option. I've got the plans for sale ... CHEAP!

Melanesia - Sailing and Paddling versions | James Wharram Designs
Old 25-11-2011, 14:56   #2246

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ya know, the funny thing is that once you get out from behind the computer screen and anonymity and actually get out into those anchorages, well, the animosity just seems to vanish. We, as happy monomaran owners, socialize with and are friends to many multi-hullers, both 2 and 3 hull types. We share meals, stories, sundowners and wisdom with them all. NO ONE in our long cruising experience has ever engaged in acrimonious mono/multi squabbling when we're out there together.

All this hateful crap rather turns my stomach. There are sure a lot of delicate egos showing up 'round here these days.

Not that this has anything to do with low budget cruising... sorry folks!

Cheers,

Jim
Cheap entertainment, maybe??

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 25-11-2011, 15:19   #2247

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Gatos View Post
Jeez, need to be careful here since this is my first post.

Responding to a few comments in no particular order;

I believe in the above statement, but you do get some quiet reactions when the person you're face to face with learns you aren't playing by their rules.

Often times, the opening question in marinas or onshore when anchored out is "what kind of boat do you have". What they really want to know is "how big is it?" The questioner will ask directly if I don't state it at the outset.

I used to avoid the question by saying "plastic/big enough" but they'll usually press for more information. It really is a judgment assessment question. If I tell them straight out, it's common that they loose interest or offer a condescending pat on the head. They'll want to know where I left the trailer.

Now I lie and say it's a Swan 72 or Oyster 65. When they think it's bigger than theirs, they just shut up. After the conversation gets past where I've been and how I've done, I tell them the truth. By then I've stated my case and sometimes turns out I've gone further in my "junk" then they have in a "blue water" boat.

That being said, I've met enough voyagers who are sincere, kind and kindred that I feel that I'm in their company, not just tagging along.

The only problem with a small boat is no salon to host a dinner. I have to snag a picnic table or chip in with salad/dessert/MEAT on their boat.

I'd take a cat in a heartbeat if I had the money. I've been in both and they are soooo comfortable.

I heard once that wealth isn't what you have, it's what you can do with what you have. I'm doing better than at least 3 billion. No complaints and if I do, hit me in the head with a hammer.

The last few years I've only worked one month out of twelve but the trade-off is worth it. I have TIME! And with only 20 years left at best, I want to use it my way.

$500 a month is more than I spend but I don't frequent marinas and my systems are minimal; no heavy repair bills.

Probably one or two other things but I've lost the train of thought. Oh well.
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're doing it your way, and that's more than most!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 25-11-2011, 15:24   #2248
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
If you like the Wharram's, his "Melanesia" might be another option. I've got the plans for sale ... CHEAP!

Melanesia - Sailing and Paddling versions | James Wharram Designs
I think I'll need the 3rd hull
Old 26-11-2011, 07:46   #2249

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

I think I'll need the 3rd hull
So you have something to fly?
Old 26-11-2011, 07:52   #2250
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...t8qjZzOFS-6siQ

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising