Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 18:16   #2386

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
. . . One of the major factors in keeping cruising down is the costs of where you go, you might have really high port fees, dock fees and everything else down the line here.....but alot lower just up the coast....safe here, not safe there.......I would really like to find out this information before I head south.
One major problem with searching for such information is the vast variance of opinion about what is expensive and what is not. And in the area of security (safe / not safe) that is really a wide open subject.

- - Some cruisers transit a particular place and have all kinds of problems, safety and otherwise. But shortly thereafter, another cruiser will transit the same area and experience pleasant and safe conditions.

- - As listed, Noonsite - Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors has reasonably good information, especially in their "side-bar" letters about a particular location. Also for the Caribbean there is: Welcome to the Caribbean Safety and Security Net
and Caribbean Compass - Caribbean Yachting and Boating News Magazine
For the Pacific coast I have seen good information in the letters section of Lat38: Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine
Old 10-12-2011, 18:44   #2387
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Oris.... man.... thats a lota words for...”**it happens.."

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16   #2388
CLOD

Boat: none

The problem with reviews of any type from people is that they normally only fall into 2 general catergories; 1- is was great! 2 -is was terrible. People mostly only respond to a survey when they feel strongly in either the good or bad direction on the subject.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43   #2389
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

noonsite does have alot of information, but still can't find enough on entry fees and other costs to be able to make a comparison. If one port advertises an ultra well equipped marina with tremendous facilities and another says the port official is located behind the concrete fishing pier, that one is probably the cheaper of the two...other than that I cannot find any actual numbers.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06   #2390

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
noonsite does have alot of information, but still can't find enough on entry fees and other costs to be able to make a comparison. If one port advertises an ultra well equipped marina with tremendous facilities and another says the port official is located behind the concrete fishing pier, that one is probably the cheaper of the two...other than that I cannot find any actual numbers.
Try the "fee's" link in the sidebar...

I don't think the particular marina facilities is any indication of the countries entry fee's... For example, the Bahamas is $150 (for boats under 35'), while the US is $30.

Generally, you clear in at specific ports, which are usually the larger, more popular ports for shipping and all other types of traffic. You can always find a 'nice' marina in most countries, or crappy ones, After you've cleared in at the major port.

[edit] specifically... Click the country you're looking for information on. Then in the sidebar labeled "formalities" there is another linke called "fees". Or just read through all the 'formalities' links for more specific information.
Old 11-12-2011, 20:17   #2391

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
I think that maybe you are trying to get "too much information." Not unreasonable, but somewhat unrealistic. Fees and check in/out fees have been known to change rather unexpectedly and with little warning.

Most popular island/countries seem to have two faces - one for the rich or affluent yachts (power and sail) and an area off to the side where the more frugal cruising folks congregate.

As "callmecrazy" mentions, the location of the Port officials for check-in/out is normally in the major ports when the upscale and commercial vessels are located. But after checking in it is normal to move the boat to a place where other cruising folks have found to be more to their tastes.

Actual fees if they are available would be found by Googling the country government website for customs/immigration - or - the tourist sites for visiting boats. Few cruising boats like to publish actual fees as they are subject to change before the guide is published - and - in some places they are variable depending upon the officials involved.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:24   #2392
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
A $900 ready to go boat.

The photo is of a pearson 26, located in Hampton Va

Cost $900 asking.

Ready to go.

The Shamrock 30 sailed across the atlantic

Asking $ 3000

CallMeCrazy is right. Buy one of these and be on the water by June!

indy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson26$1000.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	34705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shamrock30.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	34706  

Old 12-12-2011, 07:32   #2393
cruiser

In my experience, the best world wide guide regarding checkin/out procedures
and Ports of Entry was Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Destinations.

Of course, you do have the Admiralty pilot / US Pilots don't you?

INDY
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47   #2394
cruiser

For cheap boats in Maine, try NorthEast Sailboat Rescue
207 729 2490
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47   #2395
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I'm just gonna throw this out there.

I had a boat partnership. This meant we set up a pretty good financial tracker to share costs. My boat has no fancy systems. My boat sails over 120 days a year so things wear out and break. In 5 years my boat costs have averaged about $500 a month. I pay about $120 a month for a mooring ball. I can't imagine any other avoidable cost. I have liability insurance only at $400/yr. I have boat registration of $150/yr. Anti-foul averages almost $1200 every 18 months. The labor component is like $400 so I could do that myself I guess.

If I lived on the hook somewhere free rather than paying a marina I could not imagine living on $40 a week for food, clothes, medical and other living expenses and being happy.

This month the insurance and registration is due. $550. Forget Christmas presents this month, I don't even have money for food and I am $50 short on the boat registration...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04   #2396
cruiser

Pearson 30 $7000

Here's a gem!

Lovingly maintained, freshwater boat. There's another on Lake Michigan at East Chicago. Same price.

1971 Pearson 30 foot sailboat - $7,500
Hildy was bought and owned by a single family back in 1972 until we purchased her several years ago. She currently sits on Lake Lanier and is in very good condition. If you're new to sailing then this is a very solid boat at a great price. If you're specifically looking for a Pearson then you already know their excellent reputation. Hildy is hull #007 of the Pearson 30' model line and a fine example of quality American craftsmanship.
I’ve gone back to school and no longer have time to sail her. Hildy is ready for a new family and at this price, she’ll be gone soon!

Builder: Pearson – Bill Shaw

Dimensions:
LOA: 30 ft
Beam: 9 ft 6 in
LWL: 25 ft
Draft: 5 ft 0 in (fin keel)
Clearance: 42’ 3”
Displacement: 8320 lbs
Ballast: 3560 lbs

Tanks:
Fresh Water: 22 Gallons
Fuel:: 20 Gallons
Holding: 15 Gallons

Accommodations:
Light, roomy interior with opening ports and large open salon
Head with sink and lockers
V-birth, 2 berths in salon, and quarter berth
Lots of storage

Galley:
Starboard galley opens to cockpit
SS sink with manual pump
Alcohol stove

Electronics:
VHF radio with masthead antenna
Data Marine depth finder
Modern MP3/CD/AM/FM/AUX player (interior & exterior speakers)
Dual battery electrical system with continuous charge
Knot meter
Interior lights

Engine:
12 HP Universal diesel
Updated fuel delivery with new separator & filtration

Details:
Racer/Cruiser fiberglass hull, roller furling headsail, (through-hull tiller, spade style rudder, all anchors, sleeps five, full cockpit length bimini, stove, all sails including spinnaker & pole, updated salon windows, interior remodeled & resurfaced, all new Sunbrella interior cushions, updated life rail system, solar powered air circulation, bottom and topside redone in 2005, all original papers and blueprints.

Showings will be by appointment only. Contact Dave for more information – boat@hollisdomain.com
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04   #2397
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
That's what I thought myself. Though a good discussion on what needs to be done before you go is a great idea and subject for a new thread.
Your wish is my command

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html
Old 13-12-2011, 07:43   #2398

Boat: 33ft sloop

Boating in the America's is unbelievable expensive.

I pay 100 Euro' s /month mooring fee including electricity and water. I can lock my own jetty.
My insurance is 270 Euro' s per year, casco, engine plus equipment and belongings @ replacement value.
The general mooring fee inland is about 10 Euro' s night. The official state harbours are free.
If you travel inland, and you are selfsupporting, there are plenty free moorings to be found.

I must admit that with a bigger (and more shiny) yacht the situation will change gradually.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:34   #2399

Boat: Tartan 30

here's one that showed up on my marina's bulletin board this week.
Ticon 30 (data) Asking $500

From the pics on the flyer it looks like a great boat (not a major project). Includes 10hp outboard, solar panels, 4 battery house bank, main and jib on a furler.

I'd be happy to take a preliminary look at it if anyone is interested.
Old 14-12-2011, 14:42   #2400

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Well I hope I can cruise on about 1500 a month. I might as well be poor in the tropics than poor and cold in the north. We will equipe the modest ship the best we can and then be gone. Long figured out can never have enough gear or enough money so sod it. 18 months and unless things go horribly wrong I am gone!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising