Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 12:08   #1351
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Thanks Dave that's even cheaper then what I found.

I'm not worried about different colors for different purposes. I have labels on the mast for the topping lift, main sail, spinaker, and jib halyards. The main is Galvanized 1/4 cable. No rust and no corrosion yet. Looks like it's been there a while to. This 72 contest is really a pretty straight forward boat and simplicity is an added feature that is really impressing the Heck outta me.

I also have a 3/8 line running half way up the mast just below the spreaders. What would this be used for? It faces forward of the mast. Anyone got an idea? I'm thinking spinaker pole.
Yes, it is likely the topping lift for a downwind pole.

INDY
Old 24-03-2011, 13:45   #1352

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Good to see you back Goprisko.

Here are some pics of my boat. I finally got them downloaded to the site.

Someday I want to sit and talk to you about building a boat. I feel it is much easier and cost effective to find a deal instead.

Flickr: w1651's Photostream
Old 24-03-2011, 14:19   #1353
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just looked myself - now 50 to the £1 most of the time I was there around the 67 - 72 mark (and in the 97 Asian Crash hit 92......and that before inflation and costs got "westernised" ).

50 has gotta hurt folks - many used to whine like a stuck pig about the odd drop below 70

Just goes to show that a country can still be a dysfunctional 3rd world toilet with a corrupt Government, have a couple of conflicts going on and even death squads - and still have currency appreciation. There be hope for Britain yet

BTW my time in Thailand was spently mainly in Temples study ancient scriptures. Wat?
DOJ.....
Know where your coming from my friend... been there done that...
Hello Love.... Oh Mah Gawd... Your body is a Temple....
May I worship...
Old 24-03-2011, 16:00   #1354

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

To Boatman

Down Boy Down!!!!
Old 24-03-2011, 16:17   #1355

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Lapwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
You get a sales tax ID by applying for it. These are given out at state offices, generally. Once you have that ID, you are considered to be in a business, and likely will pose as a retailer. That is generally sufficient to get you a Port Supply Account, and other wholesale accounts. You need to bunch up your purchases to meet the volume requirements of your vendors, but some planning will enable this.

INDY
I am not sure what that would do for you. In Florida to be a business (before they give you tax ID or EIN number) you must register as one. This requires fees and a "real" address. It also has recurring fees of all sorts plus IRS filings each year. Seems overly complicated to save on some taxes because those taxes have to paid sooner or later by someone. I can buy stuff at Sams and not pay taxes but if I sell it "they" want the taxes paid. They get them either way. Are you a business entity that buys stuff tax free and never resells so never has to pay the taxes? I don't know how that works. Or are you flying "under the radar" and dodging?
Old 24-03-2011, 16:45   #1356

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am not sure what that would do for you. In Florida to be a business (before they give you tax ID or EIN number) you must register as one. This requires fees and a "real" address. It also has recurring fees of all sorts plus IRS filings each year. Seems overly complicated to save on some taxes because those taxes have to paid sooner or later by someone. I can buy stuff at Sams and not pay taxes but if I sell it "they" want the taxes paid. They get them either way. Are you a business entity that buys stuff tax free and never resells so never has to pay the taxes? I don't know how that works. Or are you flying "under the radar" and dodging?
When you sign the sales tax exemption application there is some fine print nearby. You should find your answer there.
Old 24-03-2011, 17:26   #1357

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
When you sign the sales tax exemption application there is some fine print nearby. You should find your answer there.
Right now I have lots of threads to catch up on.

If you are caught up could you just post it please?

Thanks.
Old 24-03-2011, 17:41   #1358

Quote:
Right now I have lots of threads to catch up on.

If you are caught up could you just post it please?

Thanks.
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2009/gt800060.pdf

Answer is on the first page.
Old 24-03-2011, 17:51   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Thanks for the time.

Pretty apparent to me now even though I ain't no lawyer.

PS. You are good. I have been to myflorida.com a time or two trying to find answers and I don't have much luck. I am sure it is me so I live with it that way I guess.
Old 24-03-2011, 18:02   #1360

Quote:
PS. You are good. I have been to myflorida.com a time or two trying to find answers and I don't have much luck. I am sure it is me so I live with it that way I guess.
Thanks. It use to be part of my job, so it's not hard for me.
Old 25-03-2011, 20:22   #1361

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
You are missing the point of what GoPrisko was talking about. It is not about avoiding paying Florida Sales Taxes. It is about establishing yourself as a business to get "wholesale" prices versus retail prices from suppliers.
- - Many Florida areas do not have or require any local licensing to establish a business. In that way, Florida is still somewhat of the "frontier" State.
- - However, the State of Florida wants it "cut" otherwise known as "Sales Tax." As a "business" you purchase your requirements at "wholesale" and if you are going to use the item yourself rather than sell it to somebody else - you "sell" it to yourself and pay Florida the Sales Tax due on the item. You do NOT avoid paying Sales Tax. You do get an opportunity to purchase items at wholesale.
- - The Fed's do not get into the picture unless you sell items to others. Then you are a sole proprietor and if your sales are miniscule you file your 1040 with a form for business profits/activity. Nothing difficult.
- - An "EIN" is a Federal Employers Identification Number that is issued to your corporation if you create any form of a corporation to handle your business transactions rather than do it as a sole proprietor.
- - The whole process is time consuming but you can decide if the amount of money you save by buying wholesale versus retail is worth the time filling out monthly Sales Tax forms and sending in the money. And it has to be done each month or you will be penalized up to $50 for a late form whether you owe Sales Tax or not.
Old 25-03-2011, 20:46   #1362

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on 9000 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
I recommend you visit another thread devoted to that lifestyle, rather than cluttering up this one.... INDY
Indy, I appreciate your recommendation, I really do; indeed, I often hang on your many words but here I was commenting on post #1316 in this very thread wherein I learned that $500 was equal to $9000. As a micro-budget cruiser, this is of some interest.

Now you, of all people, would know that the first rule of the forum is to be nice. For you to suggest that my interest in this monetary magic is cluttering up the thread -- your thread -- is just not nice IMHO.

I'd say you have few equals when it comes to clutter. I'd be happy to provide examples. And I say that in the CF "play nice" kind of way.
Old 25-03-2011, 23:19   #1363

You can incorporate, LLC or whatever you want online in 3 min and file for your EIN# in 1 min on the net......

Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online

Make sure you pay your taxes on consumable items or it will haunt you no atter where you are at in the word.
Old 26-03-2011, 04:17   #1364

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

One thing I'll learn after reading the last thirty pages or so
is how to use the "unsubscribe" feature.
Old 26-03-2011, 04:52   #1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
One thing I'll learn after reading the last thirty pages or so
is how to use the "unsubscribe" feature.
Fast learner are you?

Tags
cruising