Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 20:07   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Cruising options in Florida, where would you go?

Lived in Gulf Breeze for two years before building a house in Destin for another two year stay. Doing business in Multiple marine trades for each of those years from NOLA to Tallahassee, then as vacation home owner in Navarre Beach until economic crash.

West of Mobile Bay is muddy water due to currents carrying river effluent towards TX. Put in at P-cola or even Orange Beach and don't venture east beyond Panama City. Carrabelle if you must, then Rent a car to retrieve your trailer. There's too much beautiful water and barrier islands still in civilized territory with little boat traffic unless you hang around Crab Island in Destin. Anchor in secured protected coves or stay at 1st class marinas in every major city, your choice. Lots of places near the water to re supply. Overall you can plan on cruising the panhandle as an inexpensive part of the coastal US with a high quality of life if you can find your groove.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:46   #17

Re: Cruising options in Florida, where would you go?

Wow guys, this is great information. The idea of renting a car to retrieve the trailer is a great idea. I am definitely going to check into that. You guys are spot on about making the trip about her. That is most excellent advice! I will check that B.E.E.R cruise itinerary and I will check out active captain. What is the best source for weather information? I use Sail Flow here on the lakes, but I never have to worry about sea conditions here on the lakes. I've been out in 2 foot swells with really short wavelengths, but its really easy to tuck in behind a peninsula or island to get out of the waves, not so easy in the ocean.
Transporter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 02:27   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seeing that is the reason for this cruise, I might suggest staying in nicer towns in marinas more as opposed to sailing and anchoring in isolated places like Dog Island. I'd spend most of my time in PC, Destin, maybe Pensacola. I'd try my best to do what she likes to do as opposed to what you like. If you want it to be successful, make this vacation about Her.
...and limit your forays into the Gulf...its almost always at least choppy and can get ugly quick. One big intense squall on the Gulf could change your future plans. Still lots of good sailing in the bays behind the barrier islands.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 03:40   #19
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I am a FL east coast guy. We keep her on Merritt Island and cruise locally between Ponce Inlet and Fort Pierce. We also have access to the Banana and Indian Rivers which are wide here. We get an occasional squall in the afternoon but the water outside is usually comfortable. 3-5 ft seas and 5-15 kt winds.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 04:41   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

If she loves to beach comb, focus on anchorages that have good shelling. Look into Port St Joe. It has a big protected bay with about five-ten anchorages, incredible shelling( North Point is amazing) and its a good hop off West to Panama City (shell Island, Mexico beach) or take the canal and ICW ( very cool). Port St Joe is a really neato town, everything is walking distance. There are two marinas. ***I also recommend hopping into a Marina for the night if the weather is going to be bad. For $30 bucks you get a good nights sleep and an unfrazzled crew.
Have fun!
Old 28-02-2015, 07:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
If she loves to beach comb, focus on anchorages that have good shelling. Look into Port St Joe. It has a big protected bay with about five-ten anchorages, incredible shelling( North Point is amazing) and its a good hop off West to Panama City (shell Island, Mexico beach) or take the canal and ICW ( very cool). Port St Joe is a really neato town, everything is walking distance. There are two marinas. ***I also recommend hopping into a Marina for the night if the weather is going to be bad. For $30 bucks you get a good nights sleep and an unfrazzled crew.
Have fun!
That's always been one of my favorite areas of Florida back since the 1970's. And, it's probably changed less, and been affected less, by the northern (and Cuban) invasion, than any other part of Florida.

If you want to see what southern Florida was like 50 years ago, the panhandle is the place to go.

Tags
cruising, florida