Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 19:41   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 40s
Send a message via Skype™ to Sandy Beaches
Cruising the Australian East coast

Hi all,
Last Xmas partner Lyn and I cruised Meltemi from Melbourne to Hobart via the Eastern Bass Strait islands. An excellent month long trip. The yacht is now safely tied up in Prince of Wales Bay in the Derwent River.
Soon we plan to return taking the boat to the Gippsland Lakes (where I can access a free berth) before heading north towards Port Stephens during and after Xmas.
We have previously delivered the yacht from Sydney to Melbourne when we purchased her but only stopped in Eden for a night..
Any tips on anchorages/points of interest between Gabo Island and Newcastle appreciated.
Likely only the two of us for most of the trip. Other crew may arrive in time. If not see you later.
thanks.
Ian
Sandy Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 21:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruising the Australian East coast

Hi, Ian and Lyn, You can pretty much day hop till you leave Tasmania. (We've done the Hobart to Qld trips about 10 times, just so's you know.) Alan Lucas' "Cruising the NSW Coast book will show you all the places you might go in. After Gabo, the first stopping place is just above Green Cape, and reputed to be rolly with east in the swell, then Eden. We usually go to Eden, mainly for stores and to see friends. In Twofold Bay, one waits for the weather to come right, or if it's still good, it's just a stopover. No depth issues for you at 2.5 m. (We draw 2.2.)

Have gone in Narooma. Not recommended. Have anchored at Broulee Is., and it was good. Our next stop would be Jervis Bay, a really good National Park. From there, depending on wnd strength, you can get to Port Hacking's Gibbon Beach, if it's light airs, or clear to Pittwater/Broken Bay, where there is another lovely national park.

That'll get you started, anyway, and if you stop in Sydney, visit Boat Books and pick up a copy of Alan's book. They're going to be scarce as hens' teeth, soon.

Ann

P.S. We've been in most of the places we can get with out draft, so PM us - either Jim or me - if you want to know about somewhere in particular. For overnight stops, we prefer not to go up the rivers, and I (not so much Jim) prefer the open roadstead type of anchorages for ease of early morning departures.

PPS: The trip up the Clarence to Grafton is a pretty one.
Old 07-07-2014, 22:06   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 40s
Send a message via Skype™ to Sandy Beaches

Thanks. I have Alan's book. Very useful. I'll keep you posted on the trip North
we did the island hopping exercise on the way South. Great trip
cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sandy Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 00:15   #4

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Sandy Beaches,

Ian, after Pittwater don't miss Lake MacQuarie. The entrance has been dredged and is going to be dredged again later this year making Xmas into the lake a lot easier.
Much to see and do in the lake and is close to good transport and amenities. Lots restaurants and parks ,water and fuel.
Once in Pt Stephens its a nice day trip to Broughton Island.
Let us know when your up.
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:04   #5

Boat: Dufour 310

The entrance to Pittwater is becoming silted. Keep way over to starboard. I draw 2.0m and have touched on a low tide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45   #6
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Ian and Lyn, You can pretty much day hop till you leave Tasmania. (We've done the Hobart to Qld trips about 10 times, just so's you know.) Alan Lucas' "Cruising the NSW Coast book will show you all the places you might go in. After Gabo, the first stopping place is just above Green Cape, and reputed to be rolly with east in the swell, then Eden. We usually go to Eden, mainly for stores and to see friends. In Twofold Bay, one waits for the weather to come right, or if it's still good, it's just a stopover. No depth issues for you at 2.5 m. (We draw 2.2.)

Have gone in Narooma. Not recommended. Have anchored at Broulee Is., and it was good. Our next stop would be Jervis Bay, a really good National Park. From there, depending on wnd strength, you can get to Port Hacking's Gibbon Beach, if it's light airs, or clear to Pittwater/Broken Bay, where there is another lovely national park.

That'll get you started, anyway, and if you stop in Sydney, visit Boat Books and pick up a copy of Alan's book. They're going to be scarce as hens' teeth, soon.

Ann

P.S. We've been in most of the places we can get with out draft, so PM us - either Jim or me - if you want to know about somewhere in particular. For overnight stops, we prefer not to go up the rivers, and I (not so much Jim) prefer the open roadstead type of anchorages for ease of early morning departures.

PPS: The trip up the Clarence to Grafton is a pretty one.
I know this is off topic but with all your experience along the coast of Australia I’d love to hear from some Aussies on the Kaz II incident. What's the consensus Down Under? Do you believe the coroners report?

Regards,
BZT
PS i am new to this forum. If it's been discussed before can you lead me to the thread.
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 16:09   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
The entrance to Pittwater is becoming silted. Keep way over to starboard. I draw 2.0m and have touched on a low tide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If you simply note and follow the portside channel markers off of the Basin you will have no trouble... at least we don't and we draw 2.2 m.

The charts for the area seem correct in our experience.

Jim
Old 09-07-2014, 05:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Wikipedia has an entry.

Some lessons there for all of us.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Wikipedia has an entry.

Some lessons there for all of us.
Thanks.... Read all that info when I searched the internet. But it still would be nice to hear from some Aussies that have sailed in that area? If it was two guys going overboard, maybe but three???

Then again, **** happens....

BZT
Old 11-07-2014, 01:46   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
PS i am new to this forum. If it's been discussed before can you lead me to the thread.
It has been discussed in several threads. Here is one of them
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-18035.html

Others can be found going to the drop down search menu (near the top of every page) and using the "Google Custom search" option. This really the only search function that works well of this forum.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20   #11
cruiser

Thanks, will check it out....

BZT

Tags
Australia, cruising, east coast