Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 05:31   #1

Boat: Nautitech 395, 40ft
Cuba information

Good Day All!

I am planning to visit Cuba in Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 and would ideally like to leave the boat there when I return to work mid December.
I know Marina Gaviota has suitable haul and launch facilities, but have been unable to communicate with them on any of the contact's available on the various web sites.
I understand that the maximum visa term is 30 days + an additional 30 day extension, but have been unable to find any info on the possibility of leaving the boat in Cuba beyond the 60 days.
My boat is a 40' UK flagged catamaran - does anybody have any recent information on the above or reliable contact for Marina Gaviota?

Many thanks in advance for any info!!
mickpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:20   #2

Boat: Allures 45
Re: Cuba information

Hi. I was in Hemingway Marina the other day. Lots of boats tied up alongside the docks. The owners are saying that they've been there for over thirty days, some waiting on parts, others waiting on US laws to change Many leave their boats tied up in the marina and go away for weeks or months, and have had little to no issues in terms of security. eric
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:51   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

No info on Gaviota, we didn't visit there, but based on our time in Cuba last winter, there's certainly no problem in the boat staying beyond 60 days, it's just you that needs to get out - I think Canadians get 120 days? - even if it's just for 24 hours; I recall being told that boats were OK for up to twelve months, but met a couple of owners who'd been moored in Hemmingway for several years, so there must be ways around it? As noted earlier, there are a lot of boats laid-up afloat in Marina Hemmingway, we also saw others at both Santiago and Cienfuegos; security isn't a problem at any of them as the Cuban authorities keep a close eye on who goes on/off/near the moored boats; but for weather protection, I'd choose Hemmingway ahead of Cienfuegos with Santiago a long way third.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:59   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
No info on Gaviota, we didn't visit there, but based on our time in Cuba last winter, there's certainly no problem in the boat staying beyond 60 days, it's just you that needs to get out - I think Canadians get 120 days? - even if it's just for 24 hours; I recall being told that boats were OK for up to twelve months, but met a couple of owners who'd been moored in Hemmingway for several years, so there must be ways around it? As noted earlier, there are a lot of boats laid-up afloat in Marina Hemmingway, we also saw others at both Santiago and Cienfuegos; security isn't a problem at any of them as the Cuban authorities keep a close eye on who goes on/off/near the moored boats; but for weather protection, I'd choose Hemmingway ahead of Cienfuegos with Santiago a long way third.
There is a very secure hurricane hole in the mangroves across the Cienfuegos bay. Owners that are away can pay a Cuban to move their boat in the event a storm comes.

Cienfuegos also has haul out facilities, but booking them takes an act of Herculean patience. A government permit is required to haul a boat and can take a long time to get. Once you have the permit, then trying to book the boat yard can take weeks.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:19   #5

Boat: Nautitech 395, 40ft

I was not aware that a permit was required to haul in Cuba - do you have any further info on this or know where I may be able to find out more?

Thanks for your help!
mickpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:34   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickpye View Post
I was not aware that a permit was required to haul in Cuba - do you have any further info on this or know where I may be able to find out more?

Thanks for your help!
Unfortunately I don't as I had an agent handle everything for me. My agent was the manager of the charter company I was buying the boat through. Since he hauled all the charter boats every year, he got some "special" treatment. Even then, it took 3 weeks to get the permit and book the yard.

I know a permit was required as we discussed it many times and he showed me the permit once it was issued. The permit is required only for foreign boats.

The yard in Cienfuegos has no long term storage and is pretty expensive (considering its Cuba). The haul on our 40ft Cat was $350 CUC to haul for just inspection (still hanging in the slings).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba