Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 08:30   #1

Cuts/channels and motoring

Read a thread the other day from someone who used a partial main up in a long narrow channel in case of motor failure. Have learned this is a prudent practice. I did the same through the Exuma cuts last year. My question is the poster used a partial main. I used a partial main and a partial jib. Thought I had learned as a young freshwater sailor that the "jib controls the nose". Pros and cons for either method. PS Had a crew of 4 so handling two sails quickly not a terrible problem. Thanks for yor input. Learning every day.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 08:39   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Cuts/channels and motoring

Do what works. Each boat is different. Each channel is different. Each crew is different. Each captain is different. Each day’s weather is different. Each situation is different. What works one day might be a big mistake the next. Some days we sail in to pick up our moorings (we moor bow and stern, in the middle of a string of boats) without the engine. Other days that would not be safe or smart. It all depends on what works for you and the situation you’re in.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:12   #3

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cuts/channels and motoring

I don't really understand this partial business thing unless the wind was really high.

As far as which sail controls what, when you sheet in the main, the boat will turn towards the wind.

When you sheet in the jib, the boat will fall of the wind

Now work both together to get the boat to do what you want.

You learn this really well when surrounded by boats at the start of a race holding boat near still using the sails and rudder

It gets more interesting if you boat is main only
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor