Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 05:40   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Cutting 3/16” forestay

I am in the position of needing to cut one 3/16” 1x19 forestay to length, in order to attach a Sta-Loc fitting. 23’ trailerable boat.

I do not want to invest in a proper cutter for one cut. I have an angle grinder with a thin cut-off blade and a steady hand.

Can I use the angle grinder? Will it make a good enough cut to use with the Sta-Loc?

Also, the forestay I am replacing is somewhat mangled. Hard to measure exactly. My plan is to cut the new stay slightly longer, attach the sta-loc, raise the mast, tension rig, then re-cut the stay a bit shorter if needed. Maybe do this 2 or 3 times until it fits. Can I do this? Just re-use the stay-loc again and again until it fits?

Thank you

David
Seattle
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:53   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Cutting 3/16” forestay

Measurements are taken with a tape measure, pin to pin, if it is long and you want to trim it, subtract from the original measurement.

I imagine you don't have a turnbuckle on the forestay? that would make things easier.

Another method also, support the mast from the front with a halyard. Trim the mast to your taste, backstay etc.. and when you have supported it well, measure the distance from the pin hole to pin hole with tape.

Sta lock cones are not reusable.

And you can cut it with the grinder, that's how you cut it, make it straight and with a blade disc pass it to the flange to smooth the ends.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:57   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

I used a Harbor Freight bolt cutter when I redid my rigging. $30 as I recall. I also use it for cutting battery cables and as the name implies, cutting bolts to length. A good investment.
The grinder will work, some riggers do it that way. You have to put a wire seizing each side of the cut to prevent the wires from moving as you cut.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:58   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I replaced all my standing rigging several years ago with all Sta-Lok fittings. I used a 24 TPI bi-metal hacksaw blade and a mitre box to keep the cuts at 90°. Your proposal should be fine if you have a method to keep your cut reasonably straight. Sta-Lok fitting can be reused but they used to recommend replacing the cone each time, that may still be true today.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:43   #5

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Yes, there is a turnbuckle on the forestay, so I don’t have to be perfect. But, as I said, the current stay is mangled a bit and really hard to measure exactly.

Why can’t the cone be re-used???

(And….this is a trailer sailer….not going offshore!)
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:47   #6

Boat: Endeavour 32

Wrap the 1x19 tightly with a pvc tape like a wide (1.5”j electrical tape. Then cut with a thin disc.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:49   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

This guy is cutting 3/16" 1x19 wire with a grinder.....for a Sta-Lok Fitting

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:00   #8

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Also, the forestay I am replacing is somewhat mangled. Hard to measure exactly. My plan is to cut the new stay slightly longer, attach the sta-loc, raise the mast, tension rig, then re-cut the stay a bit shorter if needed. Maybe do this 2 or 3 times until it fits. Can I do this? Just re-use the stay-loc again and again until it fits?
It depends on what you mean by "a bit shorter." The installation of the fitting unravels and deforms the end of the wire. I think it would be rather difficult to then get a clean cut on a "trim." Not sure what the limit will be, but probably anything less than in inch (maybe a little longer) would/could be problematic.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You can purchase hacksaw blades at most any hardware store that will cut s/s.
That's what I did. Put two small hose clamps either side of your cut line to keep the wires together. Process went very quickly without too much drama.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
You can purchase hacksaw blades at most any hardware store that will cut s/s.
That's what I did. Put two small hose clamps either side of your cut line to keep the wires together. Process went very quickly without too much drama.
Much better than a grinder which will remove the chromium oxide and nickel leaving the ss in the area of the cut prone to corrosion. Also be careful of what kind of cutting wheels you use as they can deposit galvanically incompatible materials which can lead to crevice corrosion,
Old 04-05-2023, 09:07   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think you are overthinking the corrosion. Done right, the end of the wire will be sealed inside the fitting with no exposure to salt water. I've taken mechanical fittings apart, and the grinder cut end of the wires looks pristine after 12 years..
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:47   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think you are overthinking the corrosion. Done right, the end of the wire will be sealed inside the fitting with no exposure to salt water. I've taken mechanical fittings apart, and the grinder cut end of the wires looks pristine after 12 years..
My experience being Certified in Marine Corrosion and thousands of surveys
makes leads me to disagree.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:38   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

How many times have you taken a mechanical wire fitting apart in a survey, and what corrosion have you found in one which has been properly filled with caulk when it was done up?
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:16   #14
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

An angle grinder is fine, but don't dawdle, heat is what can damage the wires.

If you don't crank down on the sta-lok fitting, I think the cone will be fine, however you also bend the wires for about a half inch, so recutting anything less than that half inch is going to be a problem.
Instead, first practice lightly assembling a fitting.. Measure 5cm (or whatever) from the end of a wire, lightly assemble the fitting, and measure where the eye lands so you know how to cut the wire to get the final eye position you want. E.g. if the eye lands at 6.5cm, you know you need to subtract 1.5cm from your desired length.
Now support your mast with a halyard or something, and pull tightly on the wire (with no fitting) and measure where the eye should be and mark it. You can put a rolling hitch (or whatever) on the wire to be able to pull it tight with virtually no sag. Take it down, subtract your measurement from before, and cut it. You will be able to get extremely close to the right length, well within the capabilities of your turnbuckle.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:18   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

Nothing special is needed. A basic hacksaw will cut SS rope in under a minute. You don't even need a special blade, although you might want to replace it afterwards.

Wrap in tape, and cut it.

Hi-MOD Fittings are designed to reuse the cone, fwiw.