Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 22:38   #151

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cyclone Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Just got off the phone with our friends in Airlie.

He said while their boat is still afloat, it's severely damaged. Spent several hours riding on the forestay of a sunken maxi.

He says the marina is pretty much wrecked. (Not the word he used.)

He said there were many boats sunk, some that broke free, but also ones damaged by the marina coming apart. The finger they were on ended up on it's side with the concrete underside pounding their hull. The only reason their boat didn't get loose was a line he'd thrown round a pile during the eye.

He'd had to use a dinghy to get to his boat, the marina was coming apart, there was no access.

He estimated possibly 200 boats severely damaged or written off. (He's a boat builder).

The marina is unusable. He said the marina saw 251 kmh wind. This was after the eye.

Apparently Port of Airlie marina is just completely gone.

Going to take a long time to get over this one.
Oi! Not completely unexpected, but we hoped that our fears were wrong.

Marinas give such a sense of protection...

Much sympathy to those that have lost boats or other property, so glad that there seems to have been little or no loss of life. Good prep work by the emergency services and other authorities, getting folks out of harms way ahead of time has paid off, I think.

Jim
Old 28-03-2017, 22:51   #152

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I've never seen a marina or boat in a marina survive a direct hit unless of course it was well protected from direct winds. I thought some of the earlier pictures looked too good to be true. Glad to see there was little or no loss of life and wish everyone a speedy recovery.
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:31   #153

Our friends and their catamaran home have lived through Debbie. The cat probably having used up one more of its 9 lives.

Tied up next to maxi charter catamaran "Camira" at the Port of Airlie, she escaped with minor structural damage; gouges, broken stanchions, bent stainless work, etc. The solar panels that stayed attached were folded over like a ladies' hankerchief. The good news is that she is still floating (yes, right way up), rig intact and habitable.

Unlike our friends' emergency accommodation on land. Just as well the power was cut as water was pouring from the motel light fittings and the roof leaked profusely elsewhere.

The gamble of staying close by on land paid off as it allowed lines to be adjusted whilst the eye passed over. This risky manouvre was necessary as the dock cleats were pulling out by then and alternative anchor points had to be found before round 2 started from the opposite corner.

There is some good management as well as luck is involved in determining whether a vessel is sunk, damaged or escapes relatively unscathed in such situations. Good management in preparation, positioning and securing. Luck, however is still a huge factor in whether a larger vessel or break away marina finger takes out all your good work.

Here's hoping Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday Islands can return to normal as quickly as possible.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:49   #154

If anyone needs a hand pm me I'm based in brisbane so can drive up
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 02:31   #155

It has been hard to gather a good idea as to the true extent of devastation.
There remains a general shortage of facts, I suppose, because things are still being assessed both by government officers and by the media. Areas will still be restricted due to concerns about power lines and public safety. Social media provides some clues but tends to be rather specific to a location, a time or an experience. It is nevertheless evident that very significant hardship awaits a very sizable population, now also with food and water supply issues, not to mention power, and accommodation. In some regards, the marina and maritime issues pale into insignificance, although truly devastating for some.

With regard to the Abel Point Marina, I found this piece in the local news, which sounds unduly optimistic and a little short of specifics.

https://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/n...-feet/3160689/
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 02:49   #156

The media is a waste of good air. Zero information, and the same 5 minutes of video played over and over.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 03:34   #157
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have a friend with a 48' Sport fish that he kept in Guam.
years back after a major typhoon like Debbie a 32' sailing cat had landed up on top of his Fly Bridge, while his boat remained in its slip.

Are some cats susceptible to Kiting in those extreme winds?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 03:47   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Perhaps NAs can chime in but as a non engineer I would suspect, all other things being equal, it would have something to do with not having a heavy keel as a counterbalance. Try flying a kite with a heavy lead weight suspended from it as compared with one without (in same wind speed conditions).
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 03:53   #159

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have a friend with a 48' Sport fish that he kept in Guam.
years back after a major typhoon like Debbie a 32' sailing cat had landed up on top of his Fly Bridge, while his boat remained in its slip.

Sure looks that way. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near one in a gale much less a hurricane.
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:39   #160

Also from the Whitsunday Times:

Quote:
Jessica Fricker owns a 36ft yacht called Lamorna which was not even secured to a mooring and relied on two anchors and 130 meters of chain to secure it against the storm. ... Lamorna survived in tact.
berenddeboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:10   #161

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Some images taken from social media.

The right hand tip of that small island in pics #1 and #4 is where our mooring is, or used to be at least, located
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:16   #162
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The right hand tip of that small island in pics #1 and #4 is where our mooring is, or used to be at least, located
Was your boat on it?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:25   #163

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Mine wasn't, it's back in Mackay being refitted on the hard and has survived. Unfortunately, there was a boat on my mooring that doesn't appear to be there anymore and most of my mooring neighbours have gone. Another fellow I know had his moored near the barge jetty and he saw a photo of his boat in the newspaper showing it washed ashore and badly damaged. For this poor sod, it's the second boat he's lost in pretty much the same circumstances.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:43   #164
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Perhaps NAs can chime in but as a non engineer I would suspect, all other things being equal, it would have something to do with not having a heavy keel as a counterbalance. Try flying a kite with a heavy lead weight suspended from it as compared with one without (in same wind speed conditions).
Seriously? you think a mono that weighs 10 tonne will not get blown around as against a cat that weighs 10 tonne. Just because the mono has the weight at the bottom. Seriously
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:55   #165
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously? you think a mono that weighs 10 tonne will not get blown around as against a cat that weighs 10 tonne. Just because the mono has the weight at the bottom. Seriously
Gentlemen,
Please consider surface area first and then weight rather than centre of gravity.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote