Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2024, 13:07   #1

Damage to hull from an impact

Hi team,
I’m looking at a 2002 Beneteau first 47.7. It’s got what appears to be 2 impact points on the port side of the hull. Appears as cracks under the paint splaying outwards from a central position. Curious as to how I go about assessing this in order to find further damage prior to paying for a surveyor.
What are the sorts of damage that could be here?
Photo attached.

Also, what’s the Deck constructed of under the teak? Is it solid GRP or foam or ….?
The teak deck is a right off on this one. So that’s another can of worms.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	285646  
Staggerinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 13:24   #2

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Damage to hull from an impact

That picture isn't good enough to access an online opinion.
Stepping away from the boat and looking for uniformity of the hull. Looking for the hull shape to be uniform on both sides...mirrored. Look for dimples or dents.
Go below, look for separation of stringers and any fiberglass damage from the inside.
Tapping hammer from a professional is necessary, but that would require pulling the boat. Apparently, there's a sonic tool that can check while the boat is in the water, but I'm not aware of the accuracy.
I would ask the owner what happened, how and who repaired it, and a work order from the repair. I would talk to the company that repaired it and ask questions.
I would also ask the owner if it's been surveyed since the damage, and if so, ask for a copy of the survey.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 13:38   #3

Yeah sorry about the photo it was hard to get a good one. The cracks radiating outwards are only visible under the paint. They actually haven’t cracked the paint.

It also hasn’t been repaired as far as I can tell.
Old 25-01-2024, 13:55   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

So this is a fibreglass gel coated hull that has been painted, probably by two pack?. It is 22 years old, that paint might be covering up a whole bunch of stuff, it may be just cosmetic, but I would not buy it. I would rather buy one that has not been painted. Just my opinion not based on any stats.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 14:25   #5

Hi tin tin,
Yeah it’s been painted over but also the paint is very old and peeling off all over the boat. Waiting for answers as to when the impact occurred and how plus when it was painted.
Old 25-01-2024, 14:47   #6

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerinn View Post
Hi team,

Cheers
I think you can order the deck directly from the factory. I'm guessing around $50K (+ Install), but you can call them to see what numbers you get.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 15:12   #7

Staggerinn:

Why would you even CONSIDER a "commodity boat" such as a Beneteau 47 that you have to ask questions about, when the world is full to the gunnels of boats in far better condition - boats that you DON'T have to ask about or spend big repair money on?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 16:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Staggerinn:

Why would you even CONSIDER a "commodity boat" such as a Beneteau 47 that you have to ask questions about, when the world is full to the gunnels of boats in far better condition - boats that you DON'T have to ask about or spend big repair money on?

TrentePieds
Cause I’m not sure if I have to spend money on it since I’m not sure about the damage…that’s why I’m asking. Derp. It also has great aspects about the boat outside of this that might make it worth it… I also don’t want a boat on the other side of the world… dude there’s many reasons. Just give help answers or don’t respond at all.
Old 25-01-2024, 23:39   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

TP is suggesting that there are other Beneteau 47's out there that would not need fixing up, probably for about the same price, or less, than it would cost to buy and fix this one. This boat is obviously damaged goods. If the paint job they did is any indication,(the photo is good enough to show how poorly that was done) repairs done by them would be inadequate and need redoing. You don't just paint over cracks like that - you fix them and then paint them with good 2-part paint without leaving drips and sags the way they have. Properly applied paint should not be peeling off, either. This boat has too many problems that they are trying (badly) to hide.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 00:06   #10

Thanks mate. Fair enough. Might keep looking then
Old 26-01-2024, 00:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to ➥ https://www.boat-specs.com/sailing/s...-47-7-standard
The Bénéteau First 47's Hull is a solid laminate of chopped strand mat, woven rovings, and polyester resin.
The Deck is teak [glued & screwed], over balsa cored, fiberglass, & polyester sandwich.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 03:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That damage is right next to a hull window, yuk. you would certainly want to see what the inside of the hull looks like. Also the teak deck has been removed. Now the teak deck has been removed, did this leave lots of holes behind needing to be filled or masses of glue cleaning off.

Nah, find another one leave this one to some YT dreamer to sink a fortune into. There is a good recent YT video by Sailing Latitudes who argues against buying a project when comparing to perfectly good equivalents for less if your willing to travel. He has a point.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 05:55   #13

A good surveyor will be able to say if the damage is structural or cosmetic. If structural I'd walk away, if cosmetic I would counter offer to reflect the work needed to fix it, assuming there are no other major issues. The cost of the survey is your insurance premium against investing in the money pit. Then again any boat of this age and size is a money pit. The difference among them being when you have to come up with the $$$ - upfront or as you sail (or try to sail) along.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 08:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerinn View Post
Hi team,
I’m looking at a 2002 Beneteau first 47.7. It’s got what appears to be 2 impact points on the port side of the hull. Appears as cracks under the paint splaying outwards from a central position. Curious as to how I go about assessing this in order to find further damage prior to paying for a surveyor.
What are the sorts of damage that could be here?
Photo attached.

Also, what’s the Deck constructed of under the teak? Is it solid GRP or foam or ….?

Cheers

A good surveyor is worth his weight (and cost) in gold...
S/he will let you know what is really going on...
Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 08:40   #15

Bang on, psk :-)!

Get TP wound up and he might even suggest some other useful things :-)

ITEM: When you are looking at a boat that, I'd imagine, lists in Oz for something like AU$350K, why quibble about a two grand hauling fee to inspect her bottom, let alone a grand for a competent surveyor?

ITEM: When you recognize that the teak deck is "a right off", as Staggerinn does, why not just thank the broker go home?* Don't we all know that teak is an inferior boat building material? Don't we all know that when HMS*Ganges*was built entirely out of teak in Bombay two hundred years ago, teak was used because they didn't have anything better? By the time you finish dealing with the screws in a teak deck on a neglected commodity boat, you are likely to feel royally screwed!

ITEM: Coming back to the question of a surveyor, one of TP’s hobby-horses is that when you employ a professional -of any kind - you have, yourself, to know as much, or more, about the task at hand than does the professional. Else you canna charge him appropriately, supervise him appropriately or monitor him appropriately. So in the spirit of helpfulness, Staggerinn, here is a link I recommend that you take advantage of:

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

This material has been most generously made available by our member boatpoker to the likes of thee and me. IMO you should not go boat shopping until you’ve internalized all the good stuff that’s contained in this document.

ITEM: Most people can find the money to BUY some kinda boat. Not nearly as many can find the money to KEEP a boat. Buying more boat than there is a realistic need for has always struck me as a surefire way to get yourself financially embayed, But a chacun son goût.

So stick around, Staggerinn :-)! You’ll learn a heckuvalot about boats and seafaring if you do stick around and pay attention to the geezers in this forum.

All the best to you, Staggerinn :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull