Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2022, 14:04   #211

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Day Shapes while Anchoring

if we are going to start talking about anchor lights, i'd like to ask how many people display their anchor light when on a mooring ?

this is always a source of argument here - personally i prefer not to show an ANCHOR light when on a MOORING as this can confuse folk. on the other hand the owner prefers her anchor light on...so we do

and if there is to be an anchor light displayed when on a mooring, what about all the weekend warriors who park their boat on a mooring permanently - should they show an anchor light ? all of them ??

by the way, i'd assume no-one is foolish enough not to display an anchor light of some description when at anchor...

cheers,
Old 25-10-2022, 14:28   #212

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
if we are going to start talking about anchor lights, i'd like to ask how many people display their anchor light when on a mooring ?

this is always a source of argument here - personally i prefer not to show an ANCHOR light when on a MOORING as this can confuse folk. on the other hand the owner prefers her anchor light on...so we do
As far as I understand the COLREGS, a boat on a mooring is considered a boat at anchor, but regardless ...

[rant] I well remember the first time I arrived back to my marina after dark. To get to the marina I have to go through a field of moored boats. Not one of them had a light on ... I knew they were there, but I couldn't see them and was terrified of running into one ... Even if you don't want to use a proper anchor light wired up to your battery, why wouldn't you put at least a solar powered light on a moored boat???!!! At the very least some well placed retro-reflective strips would help someone waving a flashlight around hoping to get some clues ... but no ... just dark and stealthy seems to be the preferred option for people who keep boats on moorings round here. Do they want to get their boats hit at night? I now have radar, and going past moored boats is a lot less stressful, but one day night the radar won't be working, and it'll be deja vu all over again.[/rant]
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 14:39   #213
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
... When entering a anchorage and deciding where to anchor it helps to understand if neighbouring boats are at anchor or on a mooring. Obviously turning circles for moored boats and anchored are considerably different with changes in weather and tidal flows....

How does Colregs differentiate between a mooring and an anchor (reference please). I've scanned Colregs (word search) and it seems there is no differentiation in this regard. Show me what I missed.
Old 25-10-2022, 14:42   #214
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I actually know how to drive and make a habit of doing it properly. No, I don't roll stop signs - seriously how hard is it to actually come to a stop?
I check my lights frequently - I make a habit of looking when there's a reflection handy. I had a headlight go out recently and replaced it on returning home. Same with other bulbs, as I find them extinguished, but in memory I can only recall a third brake light, fog light and side running lights (none of which are legally required) being needing of replacement.

a. All factory-fitted lamps fitted are required in the US (except fog). Period.

b. Commercial vehicles are required to check them before every drive, not by looking at occasional reflections.

As for coming to a complete stop, I watched many drivers today. Unless blocking traffic required a full stop, you are the only one and my observation stands.
Old 25-10-2022, 14:55   #215

[QUOTE=Kelkara;3697739]As far as I understand the COLREGS, a boat on a mooring is considered a boat at anchor, but regardless ...

can you please clarify for me where in colregs it mentions 'moorings' ? fyi rule 30 talks about a vessel at anchor NOT a vessel at anchor or mooring

similarly rule 3 definitions state that a vessel is underway unless at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground. again, no mention of 'mooring' but made fast to the shore is closest

cheers,
Old 25-10-2022, 15:00   #216

Boat: Rafiki 37

Anchor light:

• Always, even when on a mooring. Heck, I'd show one even while anchored in these mythical "special anchorages" everyone talks about. I've yet to find during my travels, but I'd have the light on there as well.

• Yes to having it on, even when I was away from the boat. These days it's not hard to have a bright LED connected to a basic solar panel.

• When I installed my LED anchor light I purchased one that was rated for the legal range of 2 nm. I've never actually confirmed this in any accurate way, other than to take note at night when approaching from afar.
Old 25-10-2022, 15:00   #217

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
personally i prefer not to show an ANCHOR light when on a MOORING as this can confuse folk.
Hi Chris,

Could you elaborate on this idea a bit, please? I don't see how a light on a moored boat is any different than a light on an anchored boat, for they both help others avoid hitting them in the dark. We display both a masthead anchor light and one over t he boom when at anchor and when on our newly purchased mooring here in Port Cygnet. We are at the very outside edge of the mooring field here, just where incoming traffic first encounters stationary boats, and it seems a good idea to me.

And re dim anchor lights as reported by simi: we see less and less usage of the dread garden LED lamps and more and more proper, bright LED anchor lights, at least here in Tassie... a great improvement in safety.

Jim
Old 25-10-2022, 15:03   #218

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
a. All factory-fitted lamps fitted are required in the US (except fog). Period.

b. Commercial vehicles are required to check them before every drive, not by looking at occasional reflections.

As for coming to a complete stop, I watched many drivers today. Unless blocking traffic required a full stop, you are the only one and my observation stands.
a. I'm not in the US. This is an international forum.

b. I'm not a commercial driver, and "occasional" is a poor descriptor - nearly every day of driving, it's possible to check at least some of the lights.

c. I don't doubt your observations, particularly in the US, but I learned to drive stick and still mostly do, which perhaps encourages better driving habits.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:04   #219

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
As far as I understand the COLREGS, a boat on a mooring is considered a boat at anchor, but regardless ...

[rant] I well remember the first time I arrived back to my marina after dark. To get to the marina I have to go through a field of moored boats. Not one of them had a light on ... I knew they were there, but I couldn't see them and was terrified of running into one ... Even if you don't want to use a proper anchor light wired up to your battery, why wouldn't you put at least a solar powered light on a moored boat???!!! At the very least some well placed retro-reflective strips would help someone waving a flashlight around hoping to get some clues ... but no ... just dark and stealthy seems to be the preferred option for people who keep boats on moorings round here. Do they want to get their boats hit at night? I now have radar, and going past moored boats is a lot less stressful, but one day night the radar won't be working, and it'll be deja vu all over again.[/rant]

You should probably invest in a spotlight. They come in handy for identifying unlit channel markers also.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:06   #220

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
a. I'm not in the US. This is an international forum.

b. I'm not a commercial driver, and "occasional" is a poor descriptor - nearly every day of driving, it's possible to check at least some of the lights.

c. I don't doubt your observations, particularly in the US, but I learned to drive stick and still mostly do, which perhaps encourages better driving habits.
You know, letter C Might just be accurate. I come to a complete stop also. It’ll let you get into first gear easier.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:07   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
For those so insistent on anchor balls and anything regulatory

I have asked before if you use the upside down cone when motor sailing (things went a bit quiet with that one)

Now it's anchor lights.
How many actually use them (I see plenty without)
And for those that do, do your bulbs meet the regs for visibility?
Most out there seem no better than near death glow worms
Didn't see you ask this before.

Yes
Yes
And yes.
Old 25-10-2022, 15:11   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The dayshapes provide no known benefit, other than for hypothetical legal and insurance arguments.
There have been two other benefits that have been discussed in this thread - of course they are of benefit to others than oneself, but surely you have a sense of community responsibility?

I'm curious if you find the ball-diamond-ball dayshape equally pointless? If not, how is that different to the anchor ball?
Old 25-10-2022, 15:27   #223

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
There have been two other benefits that have been discussed in this thread - of course they are of benefit to others than oneself, but surely you have a sense of community responsibility?

I'm curious if you find the ball-diamond-ball dayshape equally pointless? If not, how is that different to the anchor ball?
The guys with the ball-diamond-ball are usually in the channel.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:32   #224

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You should probably invest in a spotlight. They come in handy for identifying unlit channel markers also.
I use a spotlight as a last resort. I get along much better without destroying my night vision by using bright lights or screens.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:35   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hi Chris,

Could you elaborate on this idea a bit, please? I don't see how a light on a moored boat is any different than a light on an anchored boat, for they both help others avoid hitting them in the dark. We display both a masthead anchor light and one over t he boom when at anchor and when on our newly purchased mooring here in Port Cygnet. We are at the very outside edge of the mooring field here, just where incoming traffic first encounters stationary boats, and it seems a good idea to me.

And re dim anchor lights as reported by simi: we see less and less usage of the dread garden LED lamps and more and more proper, bright LED anchor lights, at least here in Tassie... a great improvement in safety.

Jim
well, to elaborate : there are 2 thoughts ;

- is an anchor light legally required under colregs when on a mooring ? i believe not but others may disagree

- is displaying an anchor light when on a mooring a good idea ? i can see how it might be, in some circumstances - but could also confuse folk ie a boat looking to anchor might see the anchor light and decide to anchor there as well - only to wake up in the morning anchored in the middle of a mooring field or such

it seems to me to be almost the reverse of the day shape, which is legally required even tho most seem to agree is of no benefit

btw, if you display your anchor light at night on the mooring, do you also display the day shape ? does anyone else ?

cheers,

Tags
anchor, anchoring