Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 10:22   #1

Dealing with seasickness, how to.

Can anyone explain to me how seasickness works and how to deal with it?
How long does it last? Is it a recurring problem? Do you get through it then your O.K.? Does it come on overtime you set sail? Does it come and go while sailing?
I don't have any personal experience with it. It doesn't bother me, and it seems that back in my Navy days, the guys that got seasick got a bandaid behind the ear that took care of it, and then they were never bothered by it again. That was 30 years ago though, so my recollection is more than a bit fuzzy about it.
Im trying to figure this out for my sailing partner who thinks she gets seasick, but honestly has no idea cause she was never at sea. She bases this off being carsick as a kid, and sometimes doesn't feel well when I drive, which honestly probably isn't a good measuring device. Im not saying I'm a bad driver, I just have to much fun sometimes.:big grin:
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dealing with seasickness, how to.

Here is more than most want to know:
(Google Custom Search of CF)

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ick&gsc.page=1

My quick and abbreviated advice:
1. put her on the helm from the start, looking forward. do not have her sit below or sitting staring at the side of the cockpit. Start her out by having her look forward at the helm or as the boats "lookout" always with her eyes on the horizon, NOT down in the cockpit or below.
2. You do the cooking until she is comfortable..
3. Avoid greasy foods or alcohol before sailing.
4. Sleep on the boat overnight before a voyage or sailing in seas.
5. Stay in protected waters and mild winds until she gains confidence about being on a boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:20   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

^ what he says
I get sea sickness occasionally, especially if been long time on hard and going straight out to rough seas. Worst one was leaving the Azores right into force 9 to 10. First day on the deck was ok but when went below it struct me in three seconds and lasted for two days

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There'a a recent thread on this. In short form, seasickness is due to the vestibular system in your inner ear being exposed to random accelerations (motion of the boat) that don't make sense. You can overcome a good bit of it by substituting visual information that does make sense - ergo drivers don't get car sick, passengers who look down and read do. Ergo the advice above to put her at the helm where she will see the motion of the boat and have the horizon as a stable reference. If you temporarily damage your vestibular system with alcohol, you have only visual information, and start spinning when you close your eyes. Most medication is sedative - Dramamine is a great sleep aid. Your sailors were probably getting scopolamine.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:07   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I only get seasick in a following sea. Actually I think it's more a combination of the wallowing motion and diesel smell that gets me.

We tack a lot.

Ginger helps a lot (really strong Ginger Ale, from Bermuda I think)and although everyone who is anyone says not to sleep, I alway take a nap up in the cockpit if I start feeling queasy and when I wake up it seems to be better.

Some sea sickness is debilitating, mine's rarely that bad. Bad nausea - after a day or so it's gone.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:51   #6

I can't seem to edit my OP. One question was does it come on EVERYTIME you set sail. Not overtime. Mac autocorrect.
Old 13-08-2016, 17:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If it's any consolation, Horatio Lord Nelson never got over seasickness, but then, he was only 47 when he died at Trafalgar.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 18:23   #8

After reading these threads, I told my XO to be that there were a lot of folks on these forums who seam to have seasick to some degree or another, yet they still go out and sail, so there has GOT to be something to this sailing thing. She just gave me the stink eye and huffed at me.
Old 14-08-2016, 01:37   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

try ginger snap cookies before you go out and eat them all day --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:34   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Two tablespoons of Karo syrup every four hours keeps blood sugar up and prevents the nausea Take straight or mixed with water or tea It works.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:34   #11

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

1st let me establish my credentials..........cast off=I get sea sick

1) 3 days it's gone
2) Most important rule is when someone is throwing up they should be on their stomach or knees BETWEEN the lifelines to stop them from involuntarily propelling themselves overboard
3) Anti-histamines might help but not for me, same for ginger etc
4) Don't eat much but keep well hydrated

My basic prayer is that I hope to be sick sea when on my death bed because I won't care then if I die.

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:37   #12

Boat: Skookum 53'

sugared ginger pieces and weed.
Old 14-08-2016, 08:38   #13

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

While I agree with the consumption of ginger based products; ie. snaps, cookies and raw candied, I have found that the Relief Band wrist band by far works better than any other method for eliminating the effects of sea / motion sickness. The "Band", worn like a watch but on the inside of the wrist, uses the principles of acupuncture thru electric stimulation that is not felt by the user. The result is the cessation of upset stomachs, headaches and nausea without any chemical side affects such as drowsiness. The device has been used for years for dialysis patients and is also approved by the FAA for pilots and by the USDH for morning sickness. I have yet to see it fail over the past 15 years that I have had it aboard and used by crew and guests.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Can anyone explain to me how seasickness works and how to deal with it?
How long does it last? Is it a recurring problem? Do you get through it then your O.K.? Does it come on overtime you set sail? Does it come and go while sailing?
I don't have any personal experience with it. It doesn't bother me, and it seems that back in my Navy days, the guys that got seasick got a bandaid behind the ear that took care of it, and then they were never bothered by it again. That was 30 years ago though, so my recollection is more than a bit fuzzy about it.
Im trying to figure this out for my sailing partner who thinks she gets seasick, but honestly has no idea cause she was never at sea. She bases this off being carsick as a kid, and sometimes doesn't feel well when I drive, which honestly probably isn't a good measuring device. Im not saying I'm a bad driver, I just have to much fun sometimes.:big grin:
I too am a seasickness sufferer. I tried everything. I have tried it all, but the only thing that works consistently for me is to take a Bonine (meclazine) every night and every morning. This keeps the blood levels consistent. Drinking plenty of water, especially sparkling water also helps. Seasickness is an inner ear affliction. Meclazine works wonders.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:47   #15

I too am a seasickness sufferer. I tried everything. I have tried it all, but the only thing that works consistently for me is to take a Bonine (meclazine) every night and every morning. This keeps the blood levels consistent. Drinking plenty of water, especially sparkling water also helps. Seasickness is an inner ear affliction. Meclazine works wonders.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote