Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2023, 12:00   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Deck vent attachment for compost toilette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Bill. I bet that's what I used. I honestly don't recall what I did, but it can't have been that hard. I always remember when a project was "hard."
Mike, I find the easy projects/tasks are the ones I misremember the most….

Perhaps we have completed so many over time that our mechanical autopilot kicks-in on repeat or simple tasks?…

Cheers, Bill
Old 22-12-2023, 06:51   #17

Following, as our cruising cat with twin composting heads is currently being built. Just wanted to mention that leading the vent outlet simply to an activated charcoal absorber and forgetting about venting to the outside is also an option, if more expensive due to the consumables. Simploo for example use a fairly large cartridge sourced from aquarium supplies which they tell me last about a year ...
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:17   #18

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I would use this- https://air-onlyventilators.com/air-only-low-profile/ (see top image below)

The challenge, if it matters to you, is you wouldn't be able to install the shutoff without getting creative (seems to me an extension could be inserted through the duct for operation from below with seals to prevent leakage). You could decide to trust the design of the built in dorade and see what happens.

We've replaced 3 of our old solar vents with these Air-Only compact dorades (bottom image below) with cowl vents, The holes are too close to the hatches for anything else and replacement solar vents are too large.

They appear to be well made and cleverly designed plastic dorade. The balls inside float to seal off water intrusion and so far they've done their job.They are cheap (65 euro/$71.00 for the dorade, 60 euro/$66.00 for the low profile) and they make an optional fan for positive air flow that fits nicely and looks much better than the computer fan I jury rigged before.

They ship from Ukraine and I haven't had any problems with two orders from them. Takes @3 weeks for US delivery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lowprofile.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	284627

Click image for larger version

Name:	aironlycowl.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	284626
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:20   #19

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
Following, as our cruising cat with twin composting heads is currently being built. Just wanted to mention that leading the vent outlet simply to an activated charcoal absorber and forgetting about venting to the outside is also an option, if more expensive due to the consumables. Simploo for example use a fairly large cartridge sourced from aquarium supplies which they tell me last about a year ...
That is what I did.

! 1/2" ABS fitting filled with activated charcoal.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/les...hub/1000140417

It vents into the space behind the vanity in the head.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 10:17   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
Unless you are in a really warm climate [and the head is also warm] remember our composting heads are really desiccating heads…

I would think twice before venting all that moisture [of undesirable origin] into my living space- charcoal scrubbed or not.

In practice, there is no odor from our Nature’s Head outlet on deck sans the occasional time when some [unnamed] individuals are using it.

FWIW

Cheers, Bill
Old 22-12-2023, 10:22   #21

Boat: Brewer 12.8

3rd boat with 3rd desiccating toilet (none that I know of can compost quick enough before emptying so the title seems misleading). I use free coffee chaff from the local cafe and have quit using a vent. The only smell is the pleasant coffee one.
When you take out the old holding tank plumbing the smells go with it.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 10:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I would use this- https://air-onlyventilators.com/air-only-low-profile/ (see top image below)

The challenge, if it matters to you, is you wouldn't be able to install the shutoff without getting creative (seems to me an extension could be inserted through the duct for operation from below with seals to prevent leakage). You could decide to trust the design of the built in dorade and see what happens.

We've replaced 3 of our old solar vents with these Air-Only compact dorades (bottom image below) with cowl vents, The holes are too close to the hatches for anything else and replacement solar vents are too large.

They appear to be well made and cleverly designed plastic dorade. The balls inside float to seal off water intrusion and so far they've done their job.They are cheap (65 euro/$71.00 for the dorade, 60 euro/$66.00 for the low profile) and they make an optional fan for positive air flow that fits nicely and looks much better than the computer fan I jury rigged before.

They ship from Ukraine and I haven't had any problems with two orders from them. Takes @3 weeks for US delivery.

Attachment 284627

Attachment 284626
I’ve been waiting for a first hand review on these products.
Thanks, David!

I have always wondered if the balls will rattle in higher wind speeds. Have you had these in high winds [say gale and above] and noticed any extra noises? [I ask as one who spends a percentage of time anchored in such conditions…]

Thanks! Bill
Old 22-12-2023, 10:39   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why not simply put the toilet somewhere on the foredeck?

Old 22-12-2023, 10:49   #24

Boat: sailboat

I have always wondered if the balls will rattle in higher wind speeds. Have you had these in high winds [say gale and above] and noticed any extra noises? [I ask as one who spends a percentage of time anchored in such conditions…]

Thanks! Bill[/QUOTE]

Gales are rather noisy. The only balls you will likely hear rattling are your own.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 15:23   #25

Boat: Bristol 35.5

vetus mushroom cap
Old 04-01-2024, 09:40   #26

Not sure why a vent is needed if you have diverted the liquids…. 4 years no bad smells… we use a sprinkle of peat moss after using .. occasionally a sprinkle of cedar chips. Think I paid less than $300… just a 5 gal bucket w/ seat and lid….will never go back👍🤪
pbdayger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, men, oil, toilet