Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 09:05   #1

Boat: 1976 Schucker 444
Delaware City to Boston on a 44' Ketch with 55' mast

We are looking for advise on our first trip from Delaware City, DE up to Boston on a 44' Ketch with 55' of mast.

I'm looking for advise on the best routes, stopping points, and any other advise from others that have been there before me.

As of now, I'm planning on sailing straight from Delaware City, DE to Cape May for a night of rest and then want to find a good spot in Jersey for a night and then to NY and then to Martha's Vineyard, then to the Boston Area.

I THINK we want to go off shore and come in at certain points but ALL ADVISE IS WELCOME. It looks like there are many places that we couldn't clear and don't know much about the waterway up there.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:37   #2

Re: Delaware City to Boston on a 44' Ketch with 55' mast

Walk over to Delaware City marina and talk to the exceptionally knowledgeable owner.
He'll get your route planning to Cape May and off Cape May upward.

His mechanics are honest and tidy.

My opinion- Del bay and Jersey coast requires most planning and contingency time.
Patient for your weather window then go. It might be an 16-20 hour run up NJ.

Inshore: Once you are up to Atlantic highlands, your options and protected runs increase considerably. Don't miss Oyster Bay and Thimbles.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:51   #3

There's a fixed bridge on the Cape May Canal, you have to check but I don't think you will make it, which means you have to go around the outside of the shoals then cut back in to get to Cape May. Cute town. Supposedly you can cut in along shore if you are into that sort of thing.

There are a number of spots along the Jersey shore, Atlantic City seems to be the preferred place to duck in, but I haven't done it.

If you want to cut inside at NYC and transit Long Island Sound the flood will carry you most of the way from the Narrows, through Hell Gate, and out into the sound if you time it right. Great view of the city along the way. Link below to New York Harbor Tidal Current Charts

There is a decent free anchorage at Caven Point if you need to wait for the tide to turn, it's west of the Statue of Liberty, at the south end of Liberty State Park. Sand/sludge bottom. You can also park between The Statue and Ellis Island but it's a bit bumpy with all the ferry/barge wakes. Stay outside of the security area marked by white cans.

Cape Cod Canal is well lit, very doable at night.

Planning Kayak Trips in New York Harbor: Tide or Current? | Wind Against Current
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Walk over to Delaware City marina and talk to the exceptionally knowledgeable owner.

My opinion- Del bay and Jersey coast requires most planning and contingency time.

Inshore: Once you are up to Atlantic highlands, your options and protected runs increase considerably. Don't miss Oyster Bay and Thimbles.
Agreed. Oyster Bay, Manhasset Bay, Huntington/Northport Bay, all of it fantastic cruising.
Old 27-08-2013, 10:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post

Thank you for the advise and I agree about Delaware City Marina!

Tim has been great with our repairs and Charlie has done us right in the past as well.

Here's a link to their page

DELAWARE CITY MARINA - WELCOME!
Old 27-08-2013, 10:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
There's a fixed bridge on the Cape May Canal, you have to check but I don't think you will make it, which means you have to go around the outside of the shoals then cut back in to get to Cape May. Cute town. Supposedly you can cut in along shore if you are into that sort of thing.

There are a number of spots along the Jersey shore, Atlantic City seems to be the preferred place to duck in, but I haven't done it.

If you want to cut inside at NYC and transit Long Island Sound the flood will carry you most of the way from the Narrows, through Hell Gate, and out into the sound if you time it right. Great view of the city along the way. Link below to New York Harbor Tidal Current Charts

There is a decent free anchorage at Caven Point if you need to wait for the tide to turn, it's west of the Statue of Liberty, at the south end of Liberty State Park. Sand/sludge bottom. You can also park between The Statue and Ellis Island but it's a bit bumpy with all the ferry/barge wakes. Stay outside of the security area marked by white cans.

Cape Cod Canal is well lit, very doable at night.

Planning Kayak Trips in New York Harbor: Tide or Current? | Wind Against Current
Good stuff Delancy! I really appreciate all the advise and tips!
Old 27-08-2013, 10:10   #7
Eternal Member

Depends on how much time you've got.

I prefer to go from the C&D Canal directly to Block Island....no stops.

It's 269 nm and requires about 41 total sailing hours @ 6.5 kts average.

Cape May and Atlantic City are the best entrances on the Jersey coast if you want to stop. A few other inlets are doable, including Barnegat Bay and Little Egg Inlet.

The Atlantic Highlands-NYC-East River-LI Sound route is longer and takes much more time, due to currents and, especially, to all those neat places to visit :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:19   #8

I forgot, Sandy Hook is also a great place to stop and anchor either by the Coast Guard Station, or our favorite Horseshoe Cove. If you go to the cove watch out for fish traps off the point, we usually drive 180 a fair amount then swing around and cut north into the cove.

Sandy bottom, shoot for 15' to 20' of water right in the middle of the cove. There's a beach replenishment barge parked in there now, to the south of where you want to be, but it's usually quite at night.

If it comes up out of the west you can always duck inside the break water at Atlantic Highlands. Anchor at the east of the mooring field.
Old 27-08-2013, 11:05   #9

Boat: Pearson, P39-2

As far as NJ goes and you don't want overnight underway; Cape May to Atlantic City, AC to Barnegat Inlet and BI to Sandy Hook, Horseshoe Cove. When coming into Barnegat Inlet follow the channel in and turn to port to get to the rear of the lighthouse/CG station. Drop the hook a little to the west in Meyer's Hole, good water, 20 ft. or so, check the chart. You can dinghy to dinner at Kubel's, nice place.
tyqchur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:14   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You can get through the Cape May canal. May have to check the tide tables but if you intend to stop at Cape May, the canal is doable.
Old 27-08-2013, 14:02   #11

I second the straight run to Block Island from Cape May. Took us about 30 hours at 7kts in both directions. Get some rest anchored at Cape May and head out early morning. We had one snotty run and one really nice!! Then Block to Martha's, Martha's to the East end of the Cape Cod Canal, then straight to Boston.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 14:11   #12
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

not an expert, but when i took the LIS there was almost no wind, even thou the forecast was for wind. if i did it again, i would go outside long island. if you take the sound be prepared to motor most of the way. however the water was very flat. i saw about 4 hours of white caps in 3 days.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 14:14   #13

Not sure the LI Sound is even an option. Can you get down the East River with a 55ft mast?
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 14:17   #14
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
Not sure the LI Sound is even an option. Can you get down the East River with a 55ft mast?
i did

i am no less then 55'
i may be 62'
have yet to measure, but nothing was within 30' of me!
in fact the GWB seemed lowest.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 14:21   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i did

i am no less then 55'
i may be 62'
have yet to measure, but nothing was within 30' of me!
in fact the GWB seemed lowest.
GWB's on the Hudson. But you can do the East River with 55 feet.

Tags
ketch, mast