Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2024, 20:44   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Deliveries: should I take the leap?

So I mentioned a couple months ago in another thread that I would like to get into the delivery business. I have the sailing skills (and better navigational skills than an infamous delivery captain) and also advanced repair and maintenance skills that I believe would make me a great delivery captain. I also know what I don't know, and so I don't think I would get in over my head.

What I suck at, and what has caused me to fail at every other venture I have tried, is stirring up business. I am not a salesperson. I despise even being around a good salesperson, much less acting like one. There is an indescribable trait they have just rubs me the wrong way.

So with that said, I have lost my job. I am trying to figure it all out, and trying to find a way to not be forced to sell my boat. I have been looking for a better job than what I had for about 6 months with no luck, so I have slim hope something will land in my lap now that I lost the one I had.

Deliveries I think would be a gamble and I just don't even know where to begin to get work. I am based in San Francisco. The Pacific Cup is coming up and I could easily do that if anyone were willing to pay me. But I think there is a lot of crew that does that delivery back to SF for free. I would like to be in the Baja HaHa on my yacht, so I don't know if that is one I want to do. And other captains are always talking about deliveries up and down the West Coast, but I haven't the slightest idea how to get that work. But I would be comfortable with it. Very comfortable with the California Coast as that is my home cruising area.

Thoughts? References?
Old 17-03-2024, 00:13   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Deliveries: should I take the leap?

The only reason I read this thread was because you made it wholybee. And the only reason why I’m typing is because of you wholybee/warren.

I have no advice. I’m sorry life throws us curve balls and sometimes we can’t catch them. Believe me I know. I wish you the best of luck thinking outside a box we tend to put ourselves into. And what creative way you might make your way in, Warren.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 02:07   #3

Just some ideas for stirring up business
-simple website, can be done for free other than maybe $100/year hosting fees.
-the "for sale/services" board at every marina
-trying to make contacts/friends with other delivery captains, especially the local popular ones

I have no firsthand knowledge, but listened to a lot of the Single-Handed Sailing podcast. Matt is a part-time delivery captain, and gets some of his work through a friend's overflow. This friend was the only full time delivery captain he knew of, so I think it's a tough business to make your 100%, very seasonal, which is why the good ones probably have overflow work at peaks that they may share with youl
If you go for it, good luck!
Old 17-03-2024, 03:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Deliveries: should I take the leap?

Create a WordPress website, it costs $35/yr..
Chuck a regular post in the Crew Forum on here then sit back and see what happens.
That's what I did and most all of my jobs came via CF.
I turned down many as they were to short, in the US or just because I did not like the clients 'vibe'.. but then I was doing it as a hobby more than a job and was happy with one or two W-E Transats a year and the occasional repeat customer wanting his boat moving from W to E Med or UK to Med.
Good luck..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 03:33   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Wholybee just have a crack at it. and see what happens. Expect it to be a bit of a struggle for a few years but if you're any good word should get around and hopefully the work comes to you. You need to have a unique business name, and a presence on social media. I am on Facebook, fairly low key and I post anything interesting about boats I encounter. I don't get many comments but my Facebook Messenger is always getting used by potential clients wanting to have a private chat. Same with the contact me link on my website. There's always enquiries on that.
I wouldn't worry about selling yourself to much. I think once you get a reputation that should speak for itself. No one likes a bragger and if your words don't match your ability then your reputation is going to suffer. When surveying boats I just do the job and let my ability and knowledge speak for itself.
Some of the best sailors I have met are so humble you would hardly believe they have left the marina let alone circumnavigated or been involved in some crazy nautical adventures.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 04:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
So I mentioned a couple months ago in another thread that I would like to get into the delivery business. I have the sailing skills (and better navigational skills than an infamous delivery captain) and also advanced repair and maintenance skills that I believe would make me a great delivery captain. I also know what I don't know, and so I don't think I would get in over my head.

What I suck at, and what has caused me to fail at every other venture I have tried, is stirring up business. I am not a salesperson. I despise even being around a good salesperson, much less acting like one. There is an indescribable trait they have just rubs me the wrong way.

So with that said, I have lost my job. I am trying to figure it all out, and trying to find a way to not be forced to sell my boat. I have been looking for a better job than what I had for about 6 months with no luck, so I have slim hope something will land in my lap now that I lost the one I had.

Deliveries I think would be a gamble and I just don't even know where to begin to get work. I am based in San Francisco. The Pacific Cup is coming up and I could easily do that if anyone were willing to pay me. But I think there is a lot of crew that does that delivery back to SF for free. I would like to be in the Baja HaHa on my yacht, so I don't know if that is one I want to do. And other captains are always talking about deliveries up and down the West Coast, but I haven't the slightest idea how to get that work. But I would be comfortable with it. Very comfortable with the California Coast as that is my home cruising area.

Thoughts? References?
try here,but be short.maybe soon usa to EU some delivery.
or company expand caribian.contact dont cost nothing
https://www.skipper4you.com/en/price-list.aspx
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 05:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Besides deliveries, must be several other things you are good it.

But I get it, you've got to market yourself. I was in the same position once. It was a chore to go from business to business to sell my skills, but I took the time to make business cards, and a brief one page resume. You've got to make it short and simple and easy to read as most people throw these things away.
For every 10 people you contact, you might get 1 response, so after a period of time, do the rounds again.

I know people that can sell ice to an eskimo, but I'm not one of them. I don't have those skills. My wife has the ability to strike up a conversation with a telephone pole whereas I tend to stand there like a lump on a log.

But take heart, it takes practice. Just keep at it, don't get disheartened, discouraged, etc.
You will surprise yourself when the work orders start piling in.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 05:42   #8

I was a full time delivery skipper out of San Francisco from about 1999-2004. Last few years I averaged around 220 days/year. Random thoughts:

1. You don't need to be a salesman, but you do need to market your services.

2. Pro/Am racing campaigns use delivery skippers all the time. They are one of the few sail-based customers who do (powerboaters are much more frequent users)

3. As a whole, sailors are cheap. They loathe to pay someone to sail their boat. Compounding this is that sailboats are slow and more expensive to deliver. They are less comfortable and easier to get injured. I ceased delivering sailboats altogether after my first year.

4. Once I got my license, I took any work I could find. I drove for dinner-cruise charter company out of Oakland. I moved boats for boat shows. I did presentations at yacht clubs. I did demonstrations at boat shows. I used my trawler for 2-day classes on close-quarter maneuvers.

5. I talked to every broker in the Bay Area. Didn't get much business out of it, but word did start getting around. They all want a back-up but they don't use them too often, plus they are hesitant to recommend anyone due to liability (I don't blame them). Hint - delivery skippers are an odd lot and incredibly fearful of the competition. They will hate you for no good reason.

6. I did a ton of volunteer work. MoB drills for Safety at Sea seminars which led to an excellent source - I was a regular presenter at TrawlerFests which are 4-day seminar-style events in 4-5 locations throughout the country.

7. I wrote. I took a class in writing feature articles from Berkeley and started writing for anyone who would publish me. I eventually landed a regular column in one of the glossy national magazines for power/yachting. While didn't garner much business, it was excellent for establishing credibility.

8. I charged above the going rate. I figured i someone had a $500k yacht, they didn't expect to pay bottom dollar. I guess this explains my brief non-relationship with sailors and the ubquitous Islander 36 in the Bay Area.

Overall, SF is a good place to be based. Boaters in California are scared to go outside the Golden Gate, scared to go north of Point Conception. And there are not many skippers with experience doing so. But you need to market yourself. I would market the total package - delivering is certainly about seamanship skills, but it's also about running a business with a couple employees at the time. You have to approach it as such to be credible and familar with your desired customer base.

It does take time though. I have had periods of unemployment and it sucked, at times pretty scary and depressing. Somewhere this can foment creativity to find a new path. I wish you the best and hope the transition is swift and successful. Until then, I'm pulling for you.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 05:45   #9

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

You may want to think about starting as a delivery crew member. Most all deliveries need two or more folks on board. Why don't you contact a few skippers and tell them that you are available. That way you can get in the business and let someone else do the marketing.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 06:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
You may want to think about starting as a delivery crew member. Most all deliveries need two or more folks on board. Why don't you contact a few skippers and tell them that you are available. That way you can get in the business and let someone else do the marketing.
You would think this would be a good path, and it is for the crew. Unfortunately, the skipper sees it as potential competition- see my comment about being fiercely competitive. I recall one particularly gruff captain's response when I asked if he needed crew: "Why would I do that?"
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 06:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Back in the day, my girlfriend started to paint tropical scenes on conch feet which she then attached to some ear ring loops.
Dang if those things didn't sell like hot cakes. Beside selling them to individual women she had met at bars, etc, she also sold them to local tourist shops, etc.

She made a ton of money, and my end of the deal was to dive for conch every day.

This also prompted me to start painting small canvasses, which like the earrings, sold like hot cakes. Tourists will buy most anything to remind them of their time in one or other place.

It didn't take much marketing effort at all. Some word of mouth stuff and sitting in a bar with samples.

I also start doing a lot of mechanical work on boats of various kinds as I was quite handy with tools and had a good array of them on my boat.

I can't say it made us stinking rich, but it certainly paid all our bills.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 08:39   #12
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

How about call some delivery services and talk about doing deliveries for them? Not as crew, but they get the finders fee and you do the work.

There was someone on one of these forums who was selling their delivery business. I don't remember which forum though.

How about getting a partner who handles the sales end? Any friends who are good at that sort of thing?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 10:10   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I do West Coast deliveries, but at 79 I am aging out. I do it for fun, but I never tried to make a living at it. If you know how to work on boats, you will be able to make more money as a boat worker.

In 150,000 sea miles I have broken one mast, but otherwise never damaged a boat or needed assistance. I could start recommending you, but I absolutely need to know you are the real deal, which means you would have to do at least one delivery with me.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 10:33   #14

Being a delivery skipper seems appealing, until you realize you're really signing up for being the responsible party on uncomfortable nonstop passages on unfamiliar(often poorly maintained) boats, while being negotiated down to your bottom dollar.

Have you considered getting into the "real" maritime industry? You can get paid as much as a delivery skipper as an AB on a tug, with benefits and a real career track.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 10:35   #15

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

PM me I need a delivery done. Hawaii to San Francisco Bay as soon as weather permits.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote